🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mackenzie Hall / CCJ

Options

Comments

• KITTYKAT8_2
    Options
    Just received one of these letters today asking to contact them urgently or confirm that is is not me, has onyone ignored these letters and have they coming knocking at the door.

maz
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    KITTYKAT8 wrote: »
    Just received one of these letters today asking to contact them urgently or confirm that is is not me, has onyone ignored these letters and have they coming knocking at the door.

This letter is BEST ignored - just read through the thread.
    They are EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to 'knock at your door' and even if they did, you would not be obliged to either let them in or talk to them.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • splarch
    Options
    OMG....

How cool is this site... :-)

I know we're not alone with the debt-ridden society we live in these days, but I was so pleased(!?!) to find I am not the only one with a letter from Victor Richards at Mackenzie Hall.

I have a clean credit report now after getting into some trouble starting over 12 years ago, but it's all been amicably sorted and settled.

So why I wonder are MH now sending me the apparently popular "attempting to contact" letter?

Judging by the number of recent recipients I reckon Victor's been doing a bit of arbitrary/speculative mailing...

I've had a good read through all the postings now, and whilst it's impossible to give advice on specific situations, I will share my thoughts and what I am going to do.

MH come across as chancers, and I doubt if they can legally chase any debt they claim to be recovering - this is based on the sheer numbers of old debt referred to on here.

So in the first instance, if you receive an "attempting to contact" letter just ignore it (don't bin it as you may need it), unless it is addressed to someone else, in which case feel free to contact them but don't give your personal details to them!

If you get a second letter, it could be more demanding, I would use the letter here to write to them -

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=25_liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act#h

We all have rights, and companies like this should not be allowed to push limits of those rights in an effort to extort money.

Remember never accept the debt is yours, and never give them any information that they don't already have about you.

Above all, if you do contact them, do not be bullied by them, or get upset about it. Talk about it here or go to CAB for some reassurance. You can always hang up on them!

Will keep you posted on my progress.

Oh and lastly, I nearly forgot, tell Watchdog and lets see if we can get them investigated!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_finance.shtml

Cheers, Steve

PS For those of you that will undoubtedly think I am promoting avoidance of debt repayment, I am not. I am simply trying to support all those being contacted by MH. I would encourage communication & honesty with most finance companies, and of course better money management!
  • andyfrombrum
    Options
    I recieved a letter from the afforementioned M.H. This one was "signed" by a Dianne Lennox .... using a brush script MT font found in microsoft word. My letter was also on photocopied letterheaded paper.

Funnily enough, there was a return address on the envelope that the letter came in that was different from the address on the letter and the one on the pre paid envelope.

I had no clue what the letter was about so did a quick search online (I did not find this site until after I had phoned them). I found out that M.H. is a DCA, but perhaps being niave, decided to ring them to see what they wanted, making sure that my mobile was set to withold my number first (tested this would withold by ringing another number first).

When I phoned, I was put through to a thoroughly unpleasant girl going by the name of Tracy (real name I wonder? ) who then asked me for a reference number and also to confirm my address. Since they already had my address in order to send me the letter, I saw no harm in this, so confirmed.

When I asked for details of who they were and what they wanted, I was told in a surley (to say the least) that it was because apparantly I owe T-mobile £22 and a few pence. I haven't heard a word from T-mobile in years, will look into exactly how long later but need to get this off my chest first. The address that they had for me from T-mobile was a house that was knocked down years ago and the address no longer even exists.

The girl on the other end of the phone was extreemly unhelpful and unforthcoming with any type of detail.... her words were "I have told you everything I can under the law".

When I requested more info under the data protection act (the only thing I could think of at the time as I was shocked to say the least), I was told that the data proctection act does not apply in this case. After that I hung up. I must admit that while on the phone to the surley bint, I found myself becoming more and more terse with her.

This is the main reason why I did a little more digging after getting of the phone as it made me hugely suspicious. I am glad I did, and glad that I am not alone in this matter.

Needless to say I shall await more correspondence from them, and although they should not have my phone number or email, I am listed in the book so a bit of detective work and even I could find it.

I have decided to wait and see what happens next.
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    .... her words were "I have told you everything I can under the law".

Mackenzie Hall wouldn't know the law if it was tattoed on their forehead. :mad: :mad:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

• adea
    adea Posts: 448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My husband has had a few letters from this firm, with the usual non written signature.
    The debt is alleged to relate to money owing to Cabot Financial for the sum in excess of £1k.
    He has been throwing the letters away thus completely ignoring them.
    He has no recollection of any oustanding debts and has never been contacted by Cabot.
    Today he had a letter rerquesting bank details to set up a standing order (not going to happen!) but no signature and still no idea what this pertains to.
    Should he continue to ignore them or send a "prove it" letter requesting they send him proof of the alleged debt?
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    adea wrote: »
    Should he continue to ignore them or send a "prove it" letter requesting they send him proof of the alleged debt?

Personally, I would be inclined to ignore them, but I appreciate the stress that these continued letters can have on your husband.
    He IS entitled to ask for a Signed copy of the original CCA (Consumer Credit Agreement), to which this 'alleged Debt' refers, and if MH can not supply this within a total of 42 days then they can no longer pursue the 'alleged debt'.
    Tell him to preface any letter that he writes to these people with the words 'I do NOT acknowledge ANY debt to your Company.'

• adea
    adea Posts: 448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Rog.
    I have one of the letter templates from grumbletext from my dealings with capquest and have modified it for MH.
    I'll talk to hubby and see what he wants to do.
    Thanks once again for your advice:)
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    rog2 wrote: »
    Mackenzie Hall wouldn't know the law if it was tattoed on their forehead. :mad: :mad:

I would like to tattoo it onto their forehead, preferably with a blunt chisel!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • santay5036
    Options
    I have read the posts on this thread because I had a letter from Mackenzie Hall in August. They said that I owe money to The Lowell Group. When I rang and asked them what they were talking about they said I owe money from 1998. I told them that I thought it was a scam because it looked like a photocopied letter and that I don't owe anyone any money. I then did a credit check on Experion which confirmed that I have no charges against my name.

That was at the beginning of last week, I've had phone calls from them every day threatening legal action. I have explained that I have done a credit check and it is clear, I have told them that they are harrassing me and quoted the Administration of Justice Act, as mentioned on your forum. They say that I have ignored letters from Barclaycard but I haven't had any letters, the first I heard of this was a couple of weeks ago. They have been really rude to me on the phone and keep threatening legal action.

This is really stressing me out. Can anyone advise me what to do please?

Thanks
    Sandra
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills