PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4

Options

Comments

• Kinsey
    Kinsey Posts: 887 Forumite
    Options
    posts crossed ISOM, gorgeous quilt. I've got a half finished one somewhere(?) that has applique butterflies on it, it would be nice if it was ever finished. Give me a shove will you?
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm so sorry that I've been MIA lately. I'm not in the best of places and my mojo just won't come back, so I hope you'll forgive me for not being quite as 'with it' as I should be.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts; they really do mean a lot.

ISOM - yes, you are right. We are going to be moving back to the UK just as soon as we can sell up here. I think we have both realised that France is not the place for us; for me, I'm missing the family and the British way of life and, while DH is missing the same things, he's finding it very difficult to get work, too and, sadly, we can't retire yet, much as we'd like to! I know work won’t be much easier to find in the UK, but at least we won’t have all the red tape to contend with! I can take my online work anywhere, and it will be easier for me to look for a job in the UK than for DH. The things I trained to be in the UK (legal secretary, then dental nurse) don’t make me more employable than a French person here! I just can’t wait to move back but I have to be realistic and patient; the housing market is very slow here, and a lot of Brits are moving back – mainly those who still have to earn a living.

Jean, thank you so much for taking care of the update for me. I've started a new blog for posting the spreadsheets on, but that is taxing me at the moment; whenever I post the updates, I just get codes! I'll have another go later then, as soon as it's up and running, I'll link it to my homepage on here!

F1 – I have loads of jars, too. I just can’t bring myself to throw them out even though we have an excellent bottle bank within walking distance. I think everywhere in France, even the tiniest of hamlets, has its own bottle bank – they need somewhere for all those empty wine bottles! I have used some of the jars as penholders, and for buttons, beads and so on, so they do get used now and again! I echo Chalky’s idea of shopping to an eight day week. The other thing I really recommend is menu-planning. Just plan the meals (breakfast and lunch, as well as main meals) for the entire week, checking what you already have in store, then shopping for just the ingredients you need for those meals. I have just re-read your post and see that you are doing that, anyway! That way, you don’t buy things on impulse that may just end up not being used. For cleaning, you can do without a lot of products if you use cheap things like bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, and soda crystals.

Pippa – that’s a beautiful blanket! I hope your OH is doing well.

Mrs Moneypenny – it’s such a shame that Lily will not be able to come home for a while, but I am so pleased that Lola is doing well.

Chalky – I hope DIL’s mastitis has cleared up now. My DIL1 had it after her first baby; the doctor recommended evening primrose oil capsules which helped a lot. She was still breastfeeding, too, but, if your DIL is breastfeeding, I would suggest she asked her doctor first.

Little Megan is now walking properly if a bit wobbly and, at ten months, just a month older than Summer was. With the two of them under three years old, I think Mummy and Daddy will need extra eyes in the backs of their heads from now on!

Well, I started this post yesterday but I’ve been busy searching around for ways of advertising our property and land, so that has kept me occupied. A friend, who lives a couple of hours further south, is desperate to get back to the UK, and has had no luck selling her place (which is really beautiful, with two gites, and lots of land). You may remember that last summer I placed an advert on a French site for another friend who wanted to move back home, and she sold the house within four days of the advert going live. Well, this other friend now thinks I may have the magic touch, and has asked me to place an advert for her! I just don’t seem to have that magic touch when it comes to my own place! Still, fingers crossed. I was born in the year of the Dragon (according to the Chinese) so it may well be my year!

I can’t believe that this time last month it was Christmas day, and I was looking forward to spending the day with the family. I don’t know where the time has gone!

Anyway, I think this post of is full of waffle, so I’m off to put my beloved kettle on again. I will let you all know how I get on with the new updating blog, and I hope not to go missing in action again!

Have a great day, everyone and hugs to all those in need.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    morning all
    just back from having my roots done and got to nip work in a sec
    so leaving speey hugs and helos to the new members of the group
    isom i hope everything goes well at your appt
    kathy its not waffle we love hearing what you are up to and its lovley to hear about your family - your obvious love for them comes through in every post you make. i hope the sale goes through quickly
    pippa was thinking of you yesterday and i hope the results are through quickly and that your OH starts feeling a lot better so that today is a good day for him

must go as hairs still damp and i need to run the dryer through it before work

hugs and good wishes to all
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi keep popping in to see how you all are and what you have been making. I started 6 " squares, nearly done and will make them up into a blanket , who do I send them to - is it Mrs Twins?

Spent a lot of time at OH'S hospital bedside and have managed a huge amount of crochet so am pleased with myself. OH is home and doing OK -ish. Am also joining in with Bonnie Babies latest challenge ( have been a member for many years) 20.000 pull on hats, have knitted 8 and friends all joining in :T

Hope everyone is getting through their personal hard times x
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Pippa.S
    Pippa.S Posts: 2,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all
    Been a bit cool to say the least today, no rain though so that was good :)
    Managed to get the washing almost dry and it smells mmmm so nice and fresh

Hello and welcome lismarlilmia glad you decided to join us we are friendly bunch...just had a look in ravelry,you have some lovely work on there well done, :T a few of us in here are in ravelry as well
    ISOM - what a beautiful quilt I love the fabrics and colours you have used, do you machine or hand sew?
    kathy - dont worry about waffling we all do it from time to time, and anyway it's just like having a nice long chat :D I hope your house sells quickly and then you can have all the time you want with the family and O how lovely that will be x
    Hi ginnyknit nice to see you, good news that your OH is out of hospital I hope he is recovering well ...I will go and have a look over on Bonnie Babies next
    mrs-m - have you had your appointment through yet?

When my friend came to pick me up last night for our meal with all the girls she came bearing gifts...2 HUGE BAGS of wool well I just didn't know where to start...there were 9 hanks of Jarol fleck and 3 large hanks of pure wool, there were also a few balls and a large hank of 4 ply.... I will put a pic on next.... and if anyone would like it please PM me and I will send it on :)

Love to all
    Anne
    x
  • Pippa.S
    Pippa.S Posts: 2,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Me again sorry it's not a very good photo :o

The colours are burgundy, pale grey, lemon and the hank is pale green, please let me know if anyone would like it, as I don't use 4ply I thought one of you might be able to use it
    Just PM me :)

wooligans003.th.jpg

Anne
    x
  • lismarlilmia
    Options
    Hi everyone! just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome I have received from everyone, I have been reading so many posts for ideas that I have a list as long as my arm now! I have decided to knit some hats for the Bonnie Babies appeal to begin with, can anyone tell me if there is a knit a square appeal? thats in advance. :j
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Evening lovelies; just a quickie as been a long day as only just home!
    Miol great that you are moving back...will say big prayers for a quick sell so you can be where you are happy! Good to have tried it but sure its the right decision for you...the faffing would drive me potty!
    Pippa what a lovely person...if noone here wants it someone on loving hands may as know there are a few people who like the skinny wool!
    lismarl...Loving hands are always looking for squares...just google and away you go! Mrs twons likes them too!
    toots hope the woulds are less painful...
    ginny lovely to see you...been busy!
    socky hope you are ok..
    For those in the doldrums big hugs...
    Thanks for lovely comments re quilts; that was my third machined one and am doing a handstitched one for other goddaughter next Christmas! The recipient of this one was poorly and was snuggled on the sofa with it which is exactly what it was for so chuffed with that!
    Great news my end...I have first appointment with consulatnt for my gastric bypass and also managed to get a cancellation for sleep study so its 3 weeks earlier than it was...yipee! Am very excited!
    Right off to chill and do a little bit of hooky before bed! big hugs!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• f1widow
    f1widow Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Soooo sorry for being missing for a few days

kathy - I have to say I had tears when I read you are selling up and coming home ............. I hope that everything goes quickly and you can get back to your lovely family and start to feel happy as I think you have been so down in recent months plus you seem to work so very hard over there - big hugs to you and Mr Mioliere xx oh and going to smack your hand - you dont waffle - Im queen of waffle - we love to hear all your news and anyway thats why we are all here xx

isom - good news on the appts - hope you are ok xx

toots - awwww sending huge hugs - his loss!!!! I hope it wont make you not want to try dipping your toe in the relationship pool again though xx

lismarlmilia - welcome to our merry group - I hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do xxx

ginnyknit - what is the Bonnie Babies challenge? - Im not a member over there and dare not Im a member of so much and always feel guilty that I dont get everywere (iykwim!) xx

pippa - Agent Wool Buyer you have let me down - I was hoping to have a fix through you :rotfl: - hope OH and you are ok xx

chalky - how is open top house coming along - good to hear you had a lovely time with William - how is MIL? and I had a really spooky thought the other day is DD home yet? If she is im sorry (too many painkillers fuzzing my brain!:rotfl:) xx

salome - so glad your family were not affected - what a relief xx

Mrs m - Im so very sorry that little Lily is so poorly - we all hope and pray things change and she will be home xx

Anyone I have not mentioned huge hugs and thoughts xxx

Me - well Ive been busy sorting my bills out - although this is only week two I still feel a little like "is anything happening" - Although this morning I went upstairs to find DS with 5 lights on up there ?????? and sorry to sound like a hypochondriac but Ive been suffering from something called Costachondritis (?) very painful (inflammation of ligaments in ribs!) and I have to say a wee bit silly as I have panicked a few times over the pressure / pain that Ive felt - I thought that I just had a slight infection or something so when the Dr came up with that one I was a bit shocked - so have been a bit more zonked on tablets for a couple of days but I hate feeling so groggy so am going to try cutting down today

Thought I would just update on my progress with d**ts as you have all been so kind with your support - hubby and I have had 4 no-spend days this week - which is good for us and for the first time ever its the day before pay-day and there is a little (very little :rotfl:) left in the bank :D:D:D:D - so that is going in the pot - Ive been keeping to my meal planner and Money Advisor and I are slowly working through bits and pieces - which is all good

Sorry for waffle - am off for my post-DS-leaving for school cuppa! and then Im going to hunt some wool out and start something new
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
  • chalky_75
    chalky_75 Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2012 at 12:22PM
    Options
    Just caught up with all the posts --- Some lovely things going on and so lovely to hear everyones news!
    For those with their hands full to overflowing the biggest gentles hug!

-F1- sORRY ABOUT YOUR POOR RIBS THAT SOUNDS SOOOO HORRIBLE BUT BRILLIANT NEWS ABOUT LIFTING THE OSTRICHS HEAD!! GO GIRL.

ISOM-- So glad news is good because I know how much you want the op!

Jean- I hope Edna has moved out!

I am down at the house as it is DD2'S 25th birthday today and she leaves OZ to day to do a bit more travelling in Thailand before returning home on the 9th March-- That will make it 18 months since she left!!!!!! -- I have had to put her in a little box and just pray that she would be OK and so far it has helped me so much!

Lisamarlilimia
    -- Welcome ! I am at the moment doing "Operation Stitch UP" About this time of year some of the lovely folk on here send me knitted or crocheted 6 " squares and I make them into blankets. In year 1 we sent about half a dozen to Loving Hands and last year sent 5 to Mrs Twins who donates them to Old Peoples homes in memory of her Nan--- Do join in the fun if you would like too. I can Pm you my address and I always put the pictures of the finished lappys on here so that everyone can see them.

Woooooo Hoooooooo Operation Mended house has begun!!!!!!

The joists are back over the extension -- stronger to take the new floor above

002-3.jpg

Buster is such a help!

001-3.jpg

Woolllywise Lappy number 1 is finished -- picture soon.
    Sorry if this is a bit disjointed the hammering is dulling my brain
    Love to all
    Try and do a good deed every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills