PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4

Options

Comments

• f1widow
    f1widow Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2010 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Morning ladies (I will try and keep brief but I just know it wont tee hee)

sock-knitter - hope you are ok - thinking of you xxx
    shezmit - the pictures brought on a tear or two - well done both of you - hope it has not took too much out of Mum xxx
    blackcrow - gosh how busy you have been - I deeply congratulate you on the oxfam jumpers (about two a year is my lot) I just cannot get into them -careful with the solvents - but the fireplace does sound nice - hope Dad is OK and is back to his usual self soonxx
    chalky - that lunch sounded delicious and what a price - no wonder you love being in spain (PS no need to hurry - its cold wet and windy here ) xxxxx
    may - thanks so much for your post - even with all your problems you still keep thinking of us - its very much appreciated - you are wonderful xxx
    isom - hope Mum is improving and you are feeling better than last week xxx
    mrs twins - good to have you here xxx
    pippa - thats what we are here for - just glad MIL is on the mend - hope you had nice time with Mum xxx

Well Ive decided its about time I thought about organising myself again - I dont know whether anyone can relate to this - I seem to drift along - half-heartedly remembering things - so its time for the "big lists" to come out again - I so want to be more organised - body willing brain NOT!
    DS is absolutely full of cold so he is keeping me company today - so not much getting done today I fear - will let you know on the organising as I go (I feel if i write it down I will have to get it done:D)
    Oh roamin - so glad your back - missing the two K's (knitting & knickers) is not how a woman should have to live xxxxx
    Love to all - if ive missed anyone SORRY - big hugs to all
    PS Great result in the F1 - both our drivers in top ten - yipppeee! and I do feel so sorry for Mr Green our Goal Keeper - nobody is moaning about the yellow card we got so very quickly! xx
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
  • OnlyGirl
    OnlyGirl Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Been mia for about a week I think! Thought I'd pop in to catch up only to find you've all moved to a new thread, doesn't seem like that long ago we moved to number 3.

Things have been getting on top of me again lately, I seem to be forever flitting from one thing to another and back. generally getting nowhere fast and then getting the hump with myself. So it must have been fate F1 you mentioning 'big lists' as I'm going with you on that one. I definately need to get myself organised as I feel like I'm going slowly round the bend.

Right I'll shut up about me now.

May thanks for the pm, your right I haven't got those patterns so I will be printing them off shortly. Thank you for thinking of me.x

Shezmit Congratulations to you and you Mum on the abseil. You are both so brave.

((hugs)) to all the poorly mums and dads, there seems to be quite a few unwell at the mo.

Could someone point me in the direction for the hexagon(think that was what it was called) cardi pattern? would quite like to have a go at one of them.

Chalky good luck on your travels, sounds wonderful.

Right off to find a pad for my big lists, thanks for listening everyone, feels like all I do is moan.

Take care all.x
    :jWooligans Totals 2010:
    2 preemie hats, 2 preemie gowns, 1 bunting, 1 sleeping bag, 12 chalky squares
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Options
    Here you are OnlyGirl

http://needleworkersroom.blogspot.com/2008/07/hexagon-sweater-revisited.html

Kinseys jackets are beautiful aren't they?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June 2010 at 2:28PM
    Options
    Hi CHALKY!

"We are having some friends around tomorrow night for a "Hasta luego" meal so we needed to pop to the shop this morning for some cake that I want to use in the pudding

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0u12293.html"

This was one of my Mum's stand by puddings for dinner parties in the 60s and 70s - it is absolutely lush and many a person has broken their diet for "just a little taste"! I also made while at university in the early 80s for an end of term celebration (we also tried to make our own Baileys, a fearsome concoction but that's another story) - a relatively cheap pudding which tastes wonderful. It really takes me back to hear of it again.

Here is the recipe from Theodora FitzGibbon The Art of British Cooking - to serve 4-6 (although this amount easily serves 8)

"An old recipe from Boodle's Club, St Jame's Street, London, W.1
    It sounds simple but is delicious

4 oranges
    2 lemons
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 pint double cream
    6 trifle sponges

Grate the rinds of two of the oranges and one lemon very finely, and squeeze the juice from all the fruit. Add the sugar, to your taste, and then add the cream, stirring well to mix it thoroughly. Cut the little sponge cakes into four and fill the serving bowl with them. Pour the cream and fruit over, and leave it to stand for some hours before serving, so that the juice of the fruit penetrates into the cakes. Serve chilled."

Nothing to do with knitting, but brings back such happy memories for me that I had to share!
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    oo yummy puds seakay that I darent try! Weve had a weekend of puds here as my niece wanted a cooking lesson so we have banana cake and choc brownies in abundence so feel free to pop in for a cuppa and sample - youll have to hurry if you want frosting though as it keeps vanishing, soon to be found round my waist I suspect!
    Having a quiet afternoon here; been out to look for shampoo but they didnt have the one mum wanted. Rescued some reduced wool from hobbycraft - 6 balls for 12 and theyre a silk/cotton mix. Lots of people having or had children so makes a cheaper pressie!
    Off to finish jumper this afternoon-the rest of an arm, sewing up and edging to do!
    Only girl we all get times when we feel low so please dont apologise. one of the special things about this thread is the tlc/support that we all give/receive....I used to have so many wips that it got overwhelming so try now not to have more than 2 projects on the go at once and that helps...life in general can be a struggle at times and you feel like youre on a treadmill, busy going nowhere. hang in there and a big hug meanwhile!
    Enjoy your meal chalky, will look at the usual place later. Safe travel home!
    May lovely to see you as always, hope youre ok?
    Good to see you too F1...always think of you when mum has it on...am getting good at switching off but football is banned from my room - a step too far so shes banished to the bedroom and weve hooked the tv up again...wimbledon on soon and shell watch non stop!
    Cats were moved round yesterday; dotty cat with her new daddy and poppy cat in the bedroom. We tried letting them run free but she went for Isoke so were back to sniffing, swapping rooms etc until they settle...am hoping that someone will want poppy as dont like to think of her going somewhere I dont know....they are both on the waiting list for rehoming but its 3 months long...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• dpixie
    dpixie Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    hi everyone, hope that you are all well.

shelley - well done on the abseil - your smile said it all - i think mine would have been that big if i had the guts to do that, i get all hot and sweaty just thinking about it! Well done you!!!!

well, i went for a spinning lesson this morning and it was great! i loved it. however, i am now suffering from the "wants" - i.e i want a spinning wheel, some fleece to spin and a whole list of things. however, first on my list is a wool winder - which i am told you can often pick up at second hand stores. so i will have to keep an eye out. has anyone else seen one?

right, its time to do some work and stop petting my little baby skein of wool that i made this morning.

have a fab day everyone and ... HELLO MAY!!!!!

dpixie
    1 oxfam jumper, 19 hexagon jumpers and 1 beanie!
    :)
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone

Maytaurus - what a lovely post, again, with lots of great links! Hope you are having a good day?

Seakay - that recipe looks delicious; I will have to give it a go! Thanks for posting it.

DPixie - the spinning sounds fascinating. I have heard of people advertising on freecycle for wool winders (I think they're called swifts?) Might be worth asking on there.

Only Girl - hope life is looking better for you now.

Well, today has been a good day - NOT. Apparently, the courrier attempted to deliver my parcel to me at 8.30 this morning. The trouble is he didn't bother to knock the door, so just left a note in the mail box. I have been back on the online support line and tore them off a strip. Will have to wait and see if they will deliver tomorrow.

Next problem - half our willow tree has broken off and hit the roof of an old barn, luckily narrowly missing my car and our neighbour's caravan that is stored in the barn. Not sure how we can deal with the branch - it's huge and will probably need professional help.

Next problem - threatening letter from the water company about why we haven't paid the bill we paid in May, so I've had to photocopy the payment slip to post to them.

I think that's all the problems for today, hopefully. Oh, yes - another one. I bought some spray paint for the cane chair I'm doing up. It's in a shade of blue. There were plenty of tins in the shop when I bought the first can; now I need another one, they've run out! I now have a half-sprayed chair.

Still, after a cloudy start and some rain this morning, the sun is lovely right now so I hope it lasts for a few days.

Will catch up with you all later.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • roamin_in_the_gloamin
    roamin_in_the_gloamin Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June 2010 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Quickly in while the mob are having apero's, I am in checking on the dinner....ha ha little do they know. F1 I make lists all the time, otherwise I am that scatty I forget most of it, also lists of jobs to be done, that day, that week, etc. so you just go ahead and make those lists.
    Chalky - hope your trip homewards is a great one with lots of sunshine and smiles, perhaps next time.
    dpixie - what sort of wool winder ....little plastic one, or huge big thing? DH made me a large one in wood for the hanks of wool and it wasn't that difficult to do.
    Rained for most of the day, but the sun is out at last, I am not managing to do much on the knitting/crochet/sewing front, even if I do keep bits of work all over the house.
    I hope youre all keeping fine and well, hugs for the poorlies - oh blow it hugs for everybody - will get caught up one of these days.
    Mioliere - have updated french barn NOT knit total tho' - let me know if you want me to do it
    Mayturus, great to see your post - why, can't I do colourful happy posts???? perhaps I need to come to you for a week or two and learn the lessons.
    Back when I can
    POSTS CROSSED KATHY

Jean
    x

KATHY - just a normal day in France then? what about marble (sp) effect chair? I have been down the parcel route so many times I now get them delivered to the local shop!!!!

dpixie - is it like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XRqgC4pL6I
    The Hooligan Wooligan – age 9¾
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    f1, i make lots of lists too, otherwise nothing would get done here
    rang ds1 school up this morning, and told the head what had happened on friday, she said she will look in to it, and get back to me, i really hope she takes the matter seriously.
    knitting i did tonight, was on wrong size needles, was too tired to read pattern properly, so i unpulled it
    kathy, i hope you get the parcel sorted soon
    isom, hope you get them rehomed somewhere suitable soon
    dpixie, wool spinning sounds interesting, its funny how a new skill leaves us with new wants lol
    going for a soak and an early night to refresh my batteries
    night night
    shaz xxx
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone

I woke up early and the first thing I thought about was a cuppa so I had to get up.

First of all, I'm so sorry Blackcrow, I seemed to have missed your post and just want to send (((hugs))) to you and your Dad. Hope things are looking up now.

Chalky - hope your plans are going well. I've emailed you.

Sock-knitter - hope the head does take things seriously. Good luck.

Jean - I was just about to do the KnitTotals but wanted to ask how you have recorded DPixie's beautiful hexagon jumpers. I don't want to put them in the wrong place! Also, last week I couldn't get the spreadsheet to 'publish to a web page'. I've just checked again and it still won't give me that option. I can update and it will automatically update the last one I posted on my b**g but I can't post a new one. I am bowing to your considerable expertise on all things techie!

Yes, Jean, it was a normal day in France. Why can't I just accept that that's the way things are here?! I like your suggestion of marbling my chair. I think I'll try lightly sanding down the bits I've sprayed and see if I like the effect.

Well, having had to hunt high and low for the payment slip to prove that we have paid our water bill, I realised that I need to do some filing. We've had to keep moving my desk around this last few weeks and the paperwork has just been shoved to one side - every time it gets moved, it gets more disorganised, so today is paperwork day (a good excuse not to do the ironing, I suppose!). DH is starting to plaster the ceilings in the kitchen/dining room today. He wants to do the walls but the parcels that we are still waiting for contain the tanking solution we need to put on some of the walls first - hopefully it will arrive today. Then I must plan my letter of complaint to Parcels Please - their service has been awful, especially the fact that I have had to do all the chasing - they haven't kept in touch with me unless I've prompted them.

Anyway, rant over. I've sewn in all the ends of my throw (what a horrid job that is and I've made up my mind to sew in as I go along with anything else I make!), so it just needs edging, then I shall make a few more squares.

Maytaurus - I don't think I've made any of the ten-minute hats in ten minutes! Usually takes a bit longer, but it's definitely a quick easy-to-remember pattern, and I just add a couple more stitches to the first row to make it bigger.

Well, I'm off for another cuppa.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business