PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4

Options

Comments

• dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You're really brave, I struggle enough with a phone but Skype would be way out of my comfort zone.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for the birthday wishes.

Well, the problems seem to go from bad to worse. The man who destroyed the hornets' nest damaged loads of tiles on the roof. DH managed to make a start on fixing them all but ran out of daylight yesterday. The weather forecast was 'dry' so he felt it safe to leave the roof uncovered. Big big mistake! The heavens opened and my newly-finished utility room got drenched. We had to clamber about on the roof at 11.30 last night in our dressing gowns covering the roof with a tarpaulin, but the damage was already done. I did not want to get up this morning because I was dreading facing the damage, but we have been mopping up and DH has finished the roof. The hornet man cost him two days, so he is not a happy bunny at the moment. I had a basket of clean washing waiting to be ironed; that got drenched so has had to be re-washed, and we've had to leave a lot of things in the sun to dry. That's the last time I trust a French artisan, and the last time I trust the weather forecast!

Apart from that, we are hopefully gearing up for our visit down south on Sunday and I, for one, can't wait for the break.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Chalky - I will get the mandalas off in the post tomorrow. I hope your DD1 is mending well.

Well, off for yet another cuppa - it's the only thing that is keeping me going these days!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • dibuzz
    Options
    Sounds like you really need that break Kathy, I hope you get everything sorted out.
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Oh Kathy, at least that'll be the three things, hornets,tiles and rain damage. Fingers crossed it all goes smoooothly now.

Well, had GP this morning and he thought I was looking a bit tired, that'll be the lack of sleep sez I. So he signed me off for another month. Sigh.!!!
    Been feeling a bit under par for a couple of days so he's probably right.

Carry on crocheting will have to be my motto I suppose. Back to the granny squares for now.

Hugs for those with poorly rellies, take care of yourselves remember, or they will be up the creek without a paddle.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • dibuzz
    Options
    No point going back too soon and making yourself ill psso.
  • roamin_in_the_gloamin
    roamin_in_the_gloamin Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2014 at 4:04PM
    Options
    We had the tree fellers (yes it was three fellas) working all day flat out on 13 enormous laylandii at the back of the barn for the last 20 years we have said they must come down (they were the height of the barn when we arrived) - well the more you wait the more it will cost in time and money. They really have slogged all day and its looking terrific so far - now talking about should we have some sort of fence, I am avoiding the answer to that one till its all clear and bare then we can decide what to do with the extra sunshine and space. My ears are still ringing from chainsaws and industrial chippers - the good part is there is tons and tons of chipped up bits of tree to use around the garden - when I get the notion and time to get around to shifting it all!
    Kathy, RULE 1 - French meteo is NEVER RIGHT.......they promise sun - never happenes, they promise the threat of rain we get sunshine - ignore it all.
    RULE 2 - Unless you are up the roof with said tradesperson you have no idea what they are getting up to and its usually their mate that fixes the roof - so be thankful your DH did it for you and saved you the extra expense.
    Have a wonderful break down south and try and just relax.
    dibuzz- skype is a doddle........if I can do it anyone can......if you want to join us send me a pm I will give you my skype name. Its fun
    xx
    The Hooligan Wooligan – age 9¾
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    hugs to all

kathy so sorry the day was so bad

roamin we have laylandi between us and the neighbours they are a managable height but we are fed up with them so they are coming down - ive been clipping and trimming for the last couple of months and filling the council garden waste bags. someone has now offered me a shredder so ill have useful stuff from mine as well and a friend can use the trunks when dry as fire wood. cant believe how much garden we are reclaiming they were about 4 foot wide!!!

been hospital with mil this afternoon for the scan on her groin and lymph nodes, have been told well get a phone call or letter inviting us back to see the consultant to discuss the results so expecting another hospital visit in the next couple of weeks.

strange request form school can i make a hat to represent pollen?? im sort of thinking lots or pompoms on a bobble hat with one detachable as the bee needs to remove some pollen and maybe some petals hanging round the edge so it looks like a big flower head. does that sound ok to you all. or have you any other suggestions.
    apparently someone has already knitted a flower hat, a bee hat and a beehive hat.

have done two panels of scarf today.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • roamin_in_the_gloamin
    Options
    mrs Moneypenny - what about that fuzzy yarn we all use when making hedgiehogs in yellow tho' then with little pom poms (bought from LOBYCRAFT place in yellow just one stitch on........... we are going to gain yards and yards or if your metric meters and meters of garden when this lot come down.... we have donated the trunks to our neighbour - he has an open fire (we use an enclosed stove and the sap isn't good for that even if we let it lie for 4 or 5 years). I will be using the chippings tho in an effort to keep the weeds/nettles at bay in various places around the garden
    x
    Charity Knitting 2015-
  • roamin_in_the_gloamin
    roamin_in_the_gloamin Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2014 at 2:06PM
    Options
    have had the opportunity to play this morning - not meant to be anywhere out the back while the tree fellers get on with it - boy do they make a right noise. .......

Hints and tips if you make one of the following the pattern is on link below - HAND KNITTING PATTERN

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gevlochten-bal---braided-ball

How to cobble it up together was on the following link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZA_kgR9bGc

I have learned two invaluable things with this.....1) leave a long tail for the kitchener join (I didn't) and 2) use the same colour yarns as the you tube video then you won't take a whole hour to work out what goes where - I never do seem to pick an easy option - so am off to try my hand at one with the colours I really love. (oh size - mine done in four ply machine knitting works out at 3''/8cms in diameter and I am really pleased with it (standard knitting machine, 20 st, 68 rows T6).

15011351919_d463037286.jpgDSC02205 by Jeangenie21, on Flickr
    Charity Knitting 2015-
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs mp,your bobbly hat sounds good. Maybe a little bit of Velcro foe the detachable one would work ?

Jean, where on earth do you find things like these, I love that little ball.

Oh poo, for some reason I can't get the pattern to download. Will try again later. Looks pretty fiddly getting that last strip in, the tongue will probably be sticking through between the teeth by then.
    Determination is my middle name though, so I'll get there eventually.

Back later.x
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business