We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Who has been made redundant and is enjoying the time off?

Options
Was just wondering?

Comments

• aji666
    aji666 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I was made redundant mid September 2009, i got a reasonable payoff (and a little extra as hush money) i decided on a few months off, so didnt look for work right away.

I started looking in early December with January start, I acheived this accepting a minimum wage job, in April I switched back into a job in my own area (youth training)
  • claire0710
    claire0710 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    diable wrote: »
    Was just wondering?

Me!! But its early days! I was only made redundant 3 weeks ago but due to health problems and being pregnant I have been advised by doctors not to look for work just yet. I am enjoying relaxing with my family and my children but I suppose the money will run out soon enough!
  • kevsan
    kevsan Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    not me......

last day today... with minimum statutory money and wive only works part time..

so probably got a month before the wolves start circling...
    2014 running challenge 471.95 km / 1000 km.
  • wireframe_2
    wireframe_2 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    I was having a blast. Spent the time playing Oblivion!
  • Little_Maya
    Little_Maya Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    Me :) was made redundant nearly 2 years ago, had been with company for over 10 years so got a good pay off and have savings anyway. Currently still enjoying a totally stress-free life :D
  • sagalout1954
    sagalout1954 Posts: 418 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Me, sort of - still early days and haven't quite got used to having no work routine so some days I feel weirdly 'lost'.

Wasn't bothered about being made redundant, didn't want the redeployment opps, even got PILON which means I can loaf about right up to my hols early July and no desperate financial need to work after that. Do feel I will really need to do something with myself though (not necessarily paid work) or I think the novelty will wear off!

I do feel incredibly sorry for those 'breadwinners' who have found themselves redundant though, it must be absolutely awful.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Not me, being made redundant at the end of school term in July, just getting ourselves sorted financially so desperate for another job to start in Sept. I have an interview next week, so fingers crossed.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Forgot to say I only work part time though.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • betty_ford
    Options
    Sort of - I was made redundant a couple of weeks back 6 months into my maternity leave. I was intending to take the full year anyway (14 months if you include holidays) so I feel a bit odd. Have had a bit of a payout so it's not squeaky bum time just yet, but I am certainly not enjoying my mat leave as I should be as I have the fact that I need to get a new job in the back of my head all the time!
  • icelandic_queen
    Options
    I am!! I'm on 'garden leave' until middle of June so it's been great to get paid for staying at home especially in this weather. I also had already asked for the summer off as unpaid leave as here in Northern Ireland our kids get off for 9 weeks and had been saving for this! I was devestated at first though and I did have about 2 weeks of living in my Pjs! My dad is not well (he has MS) so it looks as though I will become his full-time carer. I will have help though and at least I'll be able to bring the children to 'work ' with me. I'm looking on it as the next chapter in my life. As my youngest has said, 'it's the job that's redundant mummy, not you'!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport