June 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 May 2010 at 2:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
908 replies 77.5K views

Replies

• wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Brodie- gammon and apple juice is lovely too. If you get a slicer, you can make thin slices and it lasts so much longer! Also very good for cutting HM bread. I get about 100 slices from my gammon in my slicer (which I got from freecycle)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Quick update. Shopping came to £37.57 today which was about what expected, however did buy 2 lots of minced pork. One lot in fridge for pork and apple burgers on Saturday and one in the freezer for another day. Got some strawberries from greengrocers as well and they were lovely, if they still have them on Saturday may get another lot.:)
    Hopefully tomorrow is a NSD and over 50% of GC money spent.:eek:
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • piperskypipersky Forumite
    954 Posts
    Didn't spend anything today :) Thought this month would be dire food shopping wise cos of the move but have found the opposite (we have been eating round the rellies :))

Gonna have to do a really big shop once we are in though ... yikes :(
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Sunny_DonnySunny_Donny Forumite
    300 Posts
    ✭✭
    OH went shopping for bits in Lidl today and spent £13.26 - couldn't believe how dear stuff was!!!! He never goes shopping so now sees the reason for me totalling up the food money. It was a bit of a shock for him poor thing - but at least he made a nice tea out of everything he bought and there is some left for tomorrow.
    totals not doing so bad, so will get rest of stuff I need at the weekend walkabout in town. Pizzas from morrisons for saturday night footie (better than Mr A's- OH treat)
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've not had a chance to pop in here for ages due to work.I've updated my sig and I'm off to catch up on loads of posts.Hope everyone is okay.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    My best friend's DH is a Waitrose manager and her says that if you buy the basics (essentials) range Waitrose is no more expensive and in some cases cheaper than the other supermarkets. I certainly find the food is really good quality. The only trouble is that everything is so nice and there is such a great choice that I find it hard to stick to my list, so I tend to go there just for the occasional treat. My DD2 was lving in Winchester for about six months and a Waitrose opened near where she was living and she said that the whoopsies were extremely good value - smoked salmon and the like reduced from £5 to 5p! As I said - good value but you need to be disciplined!

Moniker
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    nsd today:jStill sticking to the meal plan - tonight I made a bolognaise style sauce with spaghetti using turkey mince. I found a jar of Heinz Tomato Frito when I was doing my cupboard inventory and I used that - the sauce was unbelievably delicious - I had forgotten how nice that Tomato Frito stuff is. I bulked it out with courgettes, celery, carrots and onions and there is enough left for another meal so have stuck it in the freezer. I used the Sainsburys TTD spaghetti and it wasn't that nice - certainly not worth the difference in price from Aldi spaghetti which I think is the nicest. Still got half a packet to use up so next time I need some I will go back to the Aldi stuff. Decided in a mad moment earlier today that I would clear out my under the stairs cupboard which was storing the hoover, about 50 handbags and schoolbags, an old filing cabinet stuffed with stuff, two storage crates full of stuff and a big suitcase full of Bratz dolls. - It took me about an hour to empty it and then I was sorry because of the mess everywhere but now it is looking better. Several bags filled for the Charity shop, several bags and boxes out for the tip and both DD's (18 and 12) are sitting playing with the Bratz dolls:) Anyway I was thinking now that I have cleaned it that I might paint it and put up some shelves and turn it into a proper old fashioned type pantry. I never take advantage of offers on toilet rolls and kitchen roll and other household stuff because of my limited storage space so I will have a think tonight!
    Will need to go shopping tomorrow for a few bits but still on track....
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • brodie1_2brodie1_2 Forumite
    131 Posts
    Hi again
    does anyone know of any offers on non bio clothes wash? It has to be non bio, I havnt had to buy any for about 6 months due to the offers before.
    Just to brag just had a glass of our homemade limencello which we made amonth ago and finally stained out this evening. It is lovely, pity
    there was just 2 glasses to much to fit in the bottle LOL. Also had 7 strawberries ripen today, ate them but, why cant more ripen at the same time.
    Brodie1
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Moniker wrote: »
    My best friend's DH is a Waitrose manager and her says that if you buy the basics (essentials) range Waitrose is no more expensive and in some cases cheaper than the other supermarkets. I certainly find the food is really good quality. The only trouble is that everything is so nice and there is such a great choice that I find it hard to stick to my list, so I tend to go there just for the occasional treat. My DD2 was lving in Winchester for about six months and a Waitrose opened near where she was living and she said that the whoopsies were extremely good value - smoked salmon and the like reduced from £5 to 5p! As I said - good value but you need to be disciplined!

Moniker

I go to Waitrose especially for the woopsies, the bread can be spectacular on a Sunday afternoon, 19p for Warburtons or (my fave) brioche loaves for 25p (I make the most spectaular bread pud with them.

The essentials range is really good, my family love the wavy lasagne sheets, my DS always puts in an order if I go there. There are some things they sell that I could never afford (individual pies for about £5 each:eek:) but they have good offers. They do reduce reallly sharply and you could get plenty of bargains if you go at the right time. I usually go at 2.30pm on a Sunday but have had good reductions at other times.

GC going well, have just had my first Approved Foods delivery on Tuesday so will be eating a good bit of couscous in the near future.
    Freezer and cupboards still well full so no big shop in th offing so should be ok for coming on target this month.

Hope everyone is well and welcome to all the newbies. Don't forget all the recipies that rosiben has put on the first page, there's some amazing stuff there.
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    brodie1 wrote: »
    Hi again
    does anyone know of any offers on non bio clothes wash? It has to be non bio, I havnt had to buy any for about 6 months due to the offers before.
    Just to brag just had a glass of our homemade limencello which we made amonth ago and finally stained out this evening. It is lovely, pity
    there was just 2 glasses to much to fit in the bottle LOL. Also had 7 strawberries ripen today, ate them but, why cant more ripen at the same time.
    Brodie1

Ooh! How do you make limencello?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides