Sky Protect - to buy or not to buy?

My partner has signed up for Sky Protect to insure our sky box/remote control/wireless router etc at a cost of £8.25 per month but I'm concerned that it's a waste of money - I had previously been with Virgin Media for years and I didn't have to pay for insurance with them. Does anyone have experience of subscribing to Sky Protect? - is it worthwhile or do you think it's a waste of money? Any comments appreciated!
Tina

Comments

• lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    IMHO - waste of money.

If anything breaks within the first year get it sorted under warranty.
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    lucylucky wrote: »
    IMHO - waste of money.

If anything breaks within the first year get it sorted under warranty.

ive been with sky about 10 years and have never had insurance if the box breaks they usually will replace if you tell them you are going to leave your monthly subs are worth more to them than a new box ive had about 4 also they only charge £65 callout and this includes a recon box if neccasery. much less than £8 od a month if something go wrong
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    ive been with sky about 10 years and have never had insurance if the box breaks they usually will replace if you tell them you are going to leave your monthly subs are worth more to them than a new box ive had about 4 also they only charge £65 callout and this includes a recon box if neccasery. much less than £8 od a month if something go wrong

Agreed - their "protect" scheme is best avoided.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Speaking as an ex Sky Engineer,it's a waste of money!
    The reason you did'nt have to pay for insurance with VM is because you do not own the equipment,they can offer free replacement or repair.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Even when your box breaks down in the 2nd year I believe the cost from SKy is £65 and they usually replace your box.
    Its unlikely to bread down every year so if your paying nearly £100 a year youre really wasting your money.
    Are you still within the cooling off period, if so, cancel it and put your 8.25 away in a bank account or even in a tin in the cupboard
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    What a great business to get into, as everyone else have said, waste of money at £9 p/m
  • I was paying for Sky Protect then i realised i am still in my first year of Sky when they offered me this plan so i am paying for a year where i get free cover? I canceled my plan by removing the direct debit and had phone calls from them asking if i would like to reinstate my plan, i told them no and they refunded all the payments i made was about £57. They did it without notice so it was a nice suprise :)
  • property.advert
    property.advert Posts: 4,086 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Let's be serious here. If it breaks then you cancel and they get no money. Do you really think that is in their best interests ?
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bump on a recent thread - sky protect seem to be having a sales push at the moment, & boy are their sales staff 'pushy'! they've been calling for a few weeks but i just let the answerphone pick up as i guessed it was a sales call by the 0800 no.

i decided to actually answer one of the calls last week, they start off with wording about being the only recognised/affiliated(?) plan with Sky, you've had HD a couple of months - how is it for you?, then they lauch into their spiel. the guy last week just wouldn't listen to me & carried on talking over me, but he did give up after i'd said i wasn't interested twice.

the call i've just had from them now was awful though! she said there was no record of the previous call that's why she was calling again now. she completely refused to listen to me when i said i wasn't interested & just kept asking me why?? after i'd said the same thing 3 times, i just said 'sorry, i've told you why 3 times now & i'm going to end the call now. goodbye'!!

this kind of call really gets my back up & i bet there's loads of people that just give in & take the plan as they make it sound so great & it's going to be such a benefit to you...
  • Also please please remember, if you decide to leave Sky and you have Sky Protect you must cancel them both separately. Sky Protect is operated by Domestic & General

IMHO - Sky Protect isn't a good service and if, in the rare occasion after the initial statutory warranty has expired, you develop a fault, its probably cheaper to pay for an engineer direct from Sky. As for box replacement, like a previous poster mentioned, Sky will probably give you a box to keep you as a customer and the worse case is that you agree to a 12 months term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure