Great 'Singles' Holidays' Hunt

Comments

• I often travel on my own preferring the term independent traveller rather than Solo.
    Out of the big tour operators they should be ashamed Thomsons will not even quote for a single traveller even if I am willing to pay a supplement. Similar First Choice... which is appalling so if they don't want my custom hard luck.

For the last few years I have always used Olympic holidays, to the greek islands it is very rare there is a supplement, if so, it is often negated by the complicated discount system. Example I have just spent 2 weeks in Kefalonia on self catering for £290... all in transfers extra luggage flights accommodation the lot. :j
    I can highly recommend them having been on about 12 trips in the last few years on my own with the same company..
  • basilsauce
    basilsauce Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I also highly recommend Explore - have done 6 holidays with them in the last 4 years, and loved them all. You meet a great variety of people, and only have to pay a single supplement if you want your own room. As others have said, they are not cheap, so if you are looking for a bargain sun and sea/pool holiday then they are not the company for you, but if you like to explore (No pun intended!) different places or get slightly off the beaten track, but don't like the thought of doing it by yourself, then they offer you a fab holiday - and I think they are good value for what you get.
    Exodus are similar - don't have personal experience of them, but a few friends highly recommend them!
  • albacookie
    albacookie Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi all,

as a single + slightly disabled holidaymaker I find it really difficult (double trouble!!). does anyone know of any websites that match holiday companions? or even where you can find a 'friend' to share?
    crafty carrot (who is def in need of a holiday!!)

There is a site called companions to travel - I'm registered on it but have never actually used it much - think you have to pay a fiver to post there.

I've been on several holidays with Intrepid - on my own and with friends - and they've always been great. Groups are usually a mix of singles/couples/friends and a wide age range. They generally pair you with a roommate of the same sex.
  • cagsy
    cagsy Posts: 72 Forumite
    I've used Friendship Travel, Solos Holidays and Spice UK. They are all excellent companies for single travellers and if you shop around on each of their websites, you can compare resorts, dates, flight times and prices. I tend to take three holidays per year, usually one from each of these companies per year. I find that FT tends to attract the over 50s, whereas Solos allows you to choose the age range you wish to travel with ie 30 - 59, or 45+. For Spice holidays, you have to become a member of your local Spice group before booking a holiday, but this means you can book onto a whole host of events in your local area, from cinema nights through to fire eating classes!

I'm very happy to report that the brand new cruise ship, the NCL Epic which makes its maiden voyage out of Southampton docks later this month, now caters for solo passengers without charging a single cabin supplement. They have included 128 single cabins, each with a double bed into this new ship. There is also a special lounge with a concierge for these solo passengers so that they can grab a cup of coffee and meet other independent travellers if they so wish.
  • immortaljaz
    immortaljaz Posts: 45 Forumite
    I'm considering house-sitting - looks quite good for a single holiday on the cheap, as accomodation is free (apart from bills, possibly) and there's a good few houses/flats listed.

Anyone done this before?
  • saoirse_2
    saoirse_2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    I've had two holidays (on my own) with Pueblo Ingles in Spain (Google them) and had a great time both times. This company offers free board and lodging to native English speaking people from all over the world in return for spending the week speaking to Spanish executives, doctors, teachers etc. I went to the one north of Madrid, high in the mountains. Food was excellent, company was amazing- people from all over the world and the week was great fun. I would recommend it highly for singles of all ages.
    Getting here- thanks for your help!:T
  • rebeccak
    rebeccak Posts: 138 Forumite
    I'll add my recommendation for Explore - I've travelled with them three times and they have been excellent. As a single traveller, you can avoid paying a single supplement by sharing a room with another single traveller of the same sex - If there isn't someone to pair you up with (or there are an odd number of single travellers of one sex), you can get your own room for no extra cost. (On my last trip there was a guy who said this had happened to him a few times as there are often fewer single men than single women on these trips). Alternatively, on many of their trips, you can pay extra for a guaranteed single room for some/all nights but the cost of this is usually very reasonable. Although the trips haven't been specifically for singles, I have found a lot of single travellers on the trips I've been on and a lot of the group tend to go out together in the evening for meals (outside of the organised element of the trip).
  • Bananabelly
    Bananabelly Posts: 311 Forumite
    I would also recommend Explore, but they can be pricey. Gap adventures are very similar, but often quite a bit cheaper, and I would highly recommend them. Both of these are fairly flexible, and you can have free time and the choice of activities.

Someone else mentioned Topdeck though, and I have heard so many terrible things from various people I would never travel with them (there is usually ALOT of drinking, and sometimes not much sightseeing, but I guess if that's your thing....).
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    saoirse wrote: »
    I've had two holidays (on my own) with Pueblo Ingles in Spain (Google them) and had a great time both times. This company offers free board and lodging to native English speaking people from all over the world in return for spending the week speaking to Spanish executives, doctors, teachers etc. I went to the one north of Madrid, high in the mountains. Food was excellent, company was amazing- people from all over the world and the week was great fun. I would recommend it highly for singles of all ages.

This looks really interesting - I'm going to read up on it all and see if it would be suitable. Thanks Pandora
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Just found these 2 pages on the Inghams website.

go to inghams.co.uk/ then the following web address strings

Lakes & Mountains holidays single savers - no single supplement hotels for summer holidays: lakes-mountains-holidays/article/2010/single-savers/

Ski holidays single savers - no single supplement hotels for ski holidays: ski-holidays/article/2010/single-savers/

Thought those pages could be quite useful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport