Defrosting the freezer

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
321 replies 229.7K views

Replies

• gilly1964gilly1964 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    At the bottom of the freezer have you got a pull out lip?

If so pull this out and have a bowl underneath to catch the water/ice as it melts.

Have a towel underneath the bowl to catch any water that misses.

I use an electric paint stripper contstantly moving and defrost ours in about 20 minutes.

If you haven't got the pull out bit I am not too sure what you can do.

Good luck
    Gilly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    mine is an integrated fridge/freezer

I stack everything from the freezer in bags close together and I then cover the lot with a blanket

I pull all the drawers out and put bowls of boiling water on the shelves. I don`t have a pull-out lip so I stand there and pick off as much ice as I can, I also use a bendy silicone spatula to help. I put an empty bowl on the bottom and also use towels and kitchen roll

I manage the de-frosting ok and it takes no more than half an hour but it is quite an intensive half hour and the floor doesn`t get wet
  • Just don't use a hammer and chisel :rolleyes:. That little experiment cost me the price of a new freezer :o

I admit to using a hairdryer now although it's not exactly recommended to have an electrical appliance so close to so much water. I use a hairdryer on wet hair and so far have managed not to electrocute myself ;)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• I'm in the middle of defrosting my upright freezer.
    As usual it's taking forever as it was so bad. :eek:
    How frequently do you organised OSers do yours?

• joannasmumjoannasmum Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have two freezers and I tend to do one a month so they get done every other month, I used to do it about once a year and it was an all day job to do the two then. I normally empty and switch it off first thing and then put a bowl of boiling water inside, then I leave it with the door open and something to catch the water (large roasting tin). I come back to it at lunchtime and normally just have to give it a wipe out then and switch back on

HTH
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • OmertronOmertron Forumite
    574 Posts
    When the ice starts eating whatever I put in the freezer :D

I do cheat when defrosting and use a heat gun pointed at the freezer (after it's been off for about 1/2 hour, this is just to loosen the ice then I can attack it with a fish slice. Perhaps I'm just impatient? :confused: Anyway, seems to work and the food isn't out of the freezer too long.

Note: Keep the heat gun away from any water and don't get your hands wet!
    - = I also recognise the Robins and beep for them = -
  • A small hand held steamer (or failing that a full size wall paper steamer) speeds things up no end. We tend to do ours about once a year although it probably really needs it every 6 months. With bowls of hot water and a steamer I can get it turned back on within an hour of turning off.
  • bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have two freezers and both are desperateley in need of defrosting :eek: they havent been done since last summer. We're trying to run them down at the moment, but after doing a quick inventory, its probably going to take us about a fortnight to get them emptied. Its gonna save us some money on shopping though :j
    Sue
  • AddiscomberAddiscomber Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I aim to do mine in the spring and autumn. This way I get it sorted before winter and Christmas, when I need to have good stocks of essentials as I cannot go out shopping in bad weather, and I get to clear it out at the end of winter too. I find a hairdryer helps with any build up of ice.
  • I aim to do mine in the spring and autumn. I find a hairdryer helps with any build up of ice.

The hairdryer was my final weapon :D

Got a nasty feeling that I gave up before it was completely clear last time so the ice right at the back was REALLY hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals