Defrosting the freezer

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
321 replies 229.7K views

Replies

• BadgergalBadgergal Forumite
    531 Posts
    Well, as taught by my mother I minimise the time I have the door open and never put warm food in there, but the boyf will happily leave it open as he goes about his business in the kitchen (whilst I scream at him not to) and has once or twice not closed it properly and left it ajar for hours, which drives me mental and makes me want to ask him to contribute to the leccy bill (he doesn't live with me). So that is why it got so bad I reckon. I'm putting a padlock on it !!! :)

The hot water tip is probably far safer than the hair dryer! Will remember that.
  • GaltizzGaltizz Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    A steam wallpaper stripper, it really speeds up the process. Just watch your fingers though as it gets really hot and can burn, just pretend that the freezer is wallpapered :D no need for dangerous knifes/ spatulers/ wallpaper strippers that can gouge big holes in the side of the freezer, the ice will just fall off.

There is another thread somewhere on defrosting, I'll see if I can find it.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not use sharp pointy things to chip away ice. The freezer coils are usually very soft aluminium and if you poke a hole in one all your refridgerant will escape.
    That's an expensive repair! *

I didn't have a hair drier to help things along - though again - you should be very carefull not to use it actually inside the freezer because of the risk of melted water dripping into the electrics. I used to sit a small fan heater a couple of feet outside the freezer and let it blow in from there.

* It is also very nasty stuff to breathe in. So if you do manage to hole the tubes you should vacate the room immediately and leave any doors to the outside open behind you to help clear the gas.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • BadgergalBadgergal Forumite
    531 Posts
    I thought the coils looked a bit delicate and started to go easy when I realised, even though it was only a blunt plastic spatula thing. Certainly didn't want to damage anything! And yes I kept the hairdryer out of the freezer, especially once it started dripping...otherwise that could have been fun!!

I searched for a defrost thread but couldn't find one...
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks as though this thread will be IT :)

Edit: AHA! Found it. Started by Galtizz ---> Here

Seems sensible to me to merge the two. I'll do it shortly if Galtizz doesn't beat me to it :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • GaltizzGaltizz Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, I must be spending far too much time on here, I knew there was a thread somewhere, completly forgot I'd started it :D

I'll merge the 2, the posts will be in date order so this post will be at the end and the older helpful info will be before this.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • beachbethbeachbeth Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My freezer really does need defrosting but is quite full of food. What do most of you do with it all when you defrost? I may ask mum if she has any space and perhaps try to eat all the stuff out of it first but Ive just remembered that my shopping will be arriving soon and there is more frozen stuff in it!!!
  • chickadeechickadee Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I usually try to use up the contents first, then before re-stocking I put the frozen food into a cool bag in my shed, where it is cooler. Then I switch the freezer off and put pans of boiling water in it to speed up the thawing process.

I have to say, I hate doing it though. Horrible job! Good luck!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • Same process here. I use up as much food as possible, use a coolbox/bag for the rest and then use hot steam to speed the process as much as possible.

Did it not too long ago.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • elljay20elljay20 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a little mini freezer in the garage so i put my stuff in that. Also i use a hairdryer for defrosting. Did it just on monday actually and the hairdryer had it done within an hour!
    :p It is better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides