PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Defrosting the freezer

Options

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You get special freezer de-icer spray from Lakeland and Kleeneze but its not worth the money, the glass/ceramic bowl of hot water trick as mentioned by nikibella works the best. Catching the water, I use a couple of cheap microfibre towels from the pound shop and wring them out every so often.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    well i've done it :T
    used the bowl of hot water, hairdryer and as in some places it was really thick a cup of warm water poured over, the best bit was when the ice was coming loose pulling it off in chunks.

thanks for all the advice just glad i wont have to do it for at least 6months now.
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • Solomon_Broad
    Options
    I've used a steamer (about £30 from Argos, etc) to clean my freezer. Makes the job much easier. It's also great on the hob as well. Gets right underneath the gas rings, where you simply can't get a cloth.
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've done a search and not found anything so forgive me if this has been asked before.

What's the best way to defrost my huge upright freezer please?

Thanks
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a free-standing fan at all? If so you could open the door, put a large baking tray on a shelf and switch on the fan. I've done this and it really works.

You can also buy a spray from Kleeneze I think which will defrost it. It's probably just anti-freeze. Or you could use anti-freeze, though I don't know how suitable it would be to use in a freezer.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is to open the door and leave it to (very slowly!) defrost. I'm sure others have better ways of doing it, which I'm very interested in knowing about too!!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I open the door, put a bowl of hot water inside which I change as it goes cold, usually manage to defrost mine, clean it out and switch it back on well within an hour. I usually put a few towels from laundry basket (so were going to be washed anyway) on floor to catch any water that comes out.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • boybeck
    boybeck Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I aim a hair dryer at the door opening about 18 inches away so the heat does not to damage the sides and also bearing in mind the safety point about water and electric dont mix,but i can do it in about 20 mins
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tried the hairdryer one and set the hairdryer on fire as it got too hot :rotfl: :o
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I won't use extra electricity (fans etc)to speed up defrosting, but then I have only a small fridge with ice compartment, so that's not a big job unless I let it get really really full of ice. However, I tend to defrost it frequently, so that half an hour of open door does it for me.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    I did mine recently - I used a mixture of: washing up bowl with boiling water inside, pouring hot water through the shelves into said washing up bowl, a hot water bottle and of course the old knife/fish slice attacking the ice trick (just be careful not to damage the freezer) - it was very therapeutic but my arms ached the next day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure