Defrosting the freezer

Replies

• gilly1964gilly1964 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    At the bottom of the freezer have you got a pull out lip?

If so pull this out and have a bowl underneath to catch the water/ice as it melts.

Have a towel underneath the bowl to catch any water that misses.

I use an electric paint stripper contstantly moving and defrost ours in about 20 minutes.

If you haven't got the pull out bit I am not too sure what you can do.

Good luck
    Gilly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    mine is an integrated fridge/freezer

I stack everything from the freezer in bags close together and I then cover the lot with a blanket

I pull all the drawers out and put bowls of boiling water on the shelves. I don`t have a pull-out lip so I stand there and pick off as much ice as I can, I also use a bendy silicone spatula to help. I put an empty bowl on the bottom and also use towels and kitchen roll

I manage the de-frosting ok and it takes no more than half an hour but it is quite an intensive half hour and the floor doesn`t get wet
  • Just don't use a hammer and chisel :rolleyes:. That little experiment cost me the price of a new freezer :o

I admit to using a hairdryer now although it's not exactly recommended to have an electrical appliance so close to so much water. I use a hairdryer on wet hair and so far have managed not to electrocute myself ;)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• I'm in the middle of defrosting my upright freezer.
    As usual it's taking forever as it was so bad. :eek:
    How frequently do you organised OSers do yours?
  • joannasmumjoannasmum Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have two freezers and I tend to do one a month so they get done every other month, I used to do it about once a year and it was an all day job to do the two then. I normally empty and switch it off first thing and then put a bowl of boiling water inside, then I leave it with the door open and something to catch the water (large roasting tin). I come back to it at lunchtime and normally just have to give it a wipe out then and switch back on

HTH
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • OmertronOmertron Forumite
    574 Posts
    When the ice starts eating whatever I put in the freezer :D

I do cheat when defrosting and use a heat gun pointed at the freezer (after it's been off for about 1/2 hour, this is just to loosen the ice then I can attack it with a fish slice. Perhaps I'm just impatient? :confused: Anyway, seems to work and the food isn't out of the freezer too long.

Note: Keep the heat gun away from any water and don't get your hands wet!
    - = I also recognise the Robins and beep for them = -
  • A small hand held steamer (or failing that a full size wall paper steamer) speeds things up no end. We tend to do ours about once a year although it probably really needs it every 6 months. With bowls of hot water and a steamer I can get it turned back on within an hour of turning off.
  • bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have two freezers and both are desperateley in need of defrosting :eek: they havent been done since last summer. We're trying to run them down at the moment, but after doing a quick inventory, its probably going to take us about a fortnight to get them emptied. Its gonna save us some money on shopping though :j
    Sue
  • AddiscomberAddiscomber Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I aim to do mine in the spring and autumn. This way I get it sorted before winter and Christmas, when I need to have good stocks of essentials as I cannot go out shopping in bad weather, and I get to clear it out at the end of winter too. I find a hairdryer helps with any build up of ice.
  • I aim to do mine in the spring and autumn. I find a hairdryer helps with any build up of ice.

The hairdryer was my final weapon :D

Got a nasty feeling that I gave up before it was completely clear last time so the ice right at the back was REALLY hard.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES