Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,246 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alizee wrote: »
    I'm a bit scared of posting a wanted on our local freecycle - my and my husband are renting our first apartment soon and we haven't got a huge amount of stuff ( we don't even have a sofa yet) - so i was thinking of posting a wanted on freecycle - but i don't want to come across as demanding.
    i just hear of people dumping perfectly working (or in good condition) things we would be so grateful to have.

Rather than ask for things just watch for the offers, if you are polite and ask nicely you will probably end up with a lot of useful things anyway.

Meanwhile find out how many wanted ads you are allowed, and then make sure you use that limited number for the most important things.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alizee wrote: »
    I'm a bit scared of posting a wanted on our local freecycle - my and my husband are renting our first apartment soon and we haven't got a huge amount of stuff ( we don't even have a sofa yet) - so i was thinking of posting a wanted on freecycle - but i don't want to come across as demanding.
    i just hear of people dumping perfectly working (or in good condition) things we would be so grateful to have.
    You may also have a local project that will supply cheap second hand items. It may be worth looking into.
  • alizee
    alizee Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you :) I will definitely keep an eye out, and perhaps after Christmas (closer to the move) i will make an inventory and see if there are any bits we need (or even bits we don't need and offer them) and will probably limit to one or max. two wanted ads. We have a local shop called Jigsaw that accepts donations of furniture & then they do them up and sell them on, I will have a look although they are not cheap..
  • Mme.Hibou
    Mme.Hibou Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Is it worth reporting to the mods on Freecycle, when after posting a wanted ad, I then get someone offering me one for £xx.

I probably wouldn't have bothered but it was an unusual name and they've sent me emails requesting most things i've offered on there! So a little bit annoyed.

Also how do you find out who the mods are?

Thanks
    ,___,
    (oVo)
    /)vvv)
    /m m
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    on ours today -

hi guys this is an off chance does anyone have any robert wars toys for my son
    as he really enjoys watching it on tv and looked every where with no joy a big
    thanks

Robert Wars!?!?!?
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • chickywiggle
    chickywiggle Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Dizzie77 wrote: »
    on ours today -

hi guys this is an off chance does anyone have any robert wars toys for my son
    as he really enjoys watching it on tv and looked every where with no joy a big
    thanks

Robert Wars!?!?!?

http://www.ukrobotwars.com/mains.htm
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas. :xmastree:
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I know what ROBOT wars is - but what is ROBERT wars!?!?
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • Mrs.W_2
    Mrs.W_2 Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2010 at 9:49PM
    Options
    Lydia82 wrote: »
    Hi
    Is it worth reporting to the mods on Freecycle, when after posting a wanted ad, I then get someone offering me one for £xx.

I probably wouldn't have bothered but it was an unusual name and they've sent me emails requesting most things i've offered on there! So a little bit annoyed.

Also how do you find out who the mods are?

Thanks
    Details for contacting mods or the group owner ought to be on your Freecycle home page. Or you might email a long-standing FC member, they'll most likely be happy to help.

The chances are you are not the first person they've offered a bargain.

When I was in the same situation, I (was naughty) posted their 'want a fiver for it' response in the FC chat section. Others posted with similar experiences. The woman was banned.

Good luck!
  • fpcat
    fpcat Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been quite lucky on Freecycle lately. I often put stuff on there, and I really just want to get it out of the house. I've answered offers for 3 things recently and got them all. Mind you, I can honestly say they weren't the popular type of offer - parrot feathers (husband using for craft project), 3 chairs in dire need of re-upholstery ( 4 days after they were posted) and a very broken digital camera, which I'm going to take to bits to see how it comes apart, and more importantly, try to get it back together again. I know, you're thinking, poor thing she need to get out more, but I really need to get off this computer, I'm getting flat fingered with all this keypad work, and too much baking isn't good for the figure iykwim. :rotfl:
  • ootie
    ootie Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Dizzie77 wrote: »
    Yes, I know what ROBOT wars is - but what is ROBERT wars!?!?

Isn't he that chap from the vampire programme...? :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport