May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 6:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.2K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not the best of months for me (but, looking on the bright side, it's nowhere near as bad as March was)

Budget was £105.
    I used £4 from the stock-pile I had in at the start of the year, so that meant I didn't want to spend more than £101.
    But I'm declaring a spend of £123.60 :eek:

Signature looks like this before I rework it for 1st June

GC Budget / Spent / Whoopsie spend / Whoopsie 'real' value
    to 30th Apr '10 : £415 / £386.15 / £200.16 / £835.33
    May : £105 / £123.60 / £20.39 / £57.23 as of 31st May

And after the re-work it looks like this

GC Budget / Spent / Whoopsie spend / Whoopsie 'real' value
    to 31st May '10 : £520 / £509.75 / £220.55 / £893.96

Whilst this looks as if I'm £10.25 under my 'year to date' target, I'm actually £60.75 over as I've used £71 worth of grocery items I already had in at the start of the year :o

Really must work hard in June to use up stuff I've already bought this year (have about £70 of groceries I've stock-piled since 1st Jan!), as it means my June budget won't be reduced for using older stock-piled items (and I won't be spending on new stuff either)
    Cheryl
  • albacookiealbacookie Forumite
    273 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I totally lost count for May - was at £75 about 10 days ago so will no doubt be over budget.

Will pay more attention in June - can I be down for £100 again please :)
  • franby64franby64 Forumite
    937 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all

I'm declaring at £470.04 for May which is a bit rubbish at £70.04 over.
    I haven't been as frugal as I should over the last couple of days as it's half term and I've been buying a few more munchies than normal...but we've been enjoying it so never mind :D (back on Slimming World on 8/6!!).
    May Shopping Challenge. 10/5. Budget £310 Spent £118.25.. £191.75 left. So £9.13 a day.
  • thriftyscotslassthriftyscotslass Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    1.2K posts
    I would like to declare at £416.37 for May - £16.37 over - booooo :(

Please can you put me down for £400 for June Mrs Mac, many thanks
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im embarrassed to declare £480 for may.

i WILL do better in june but am amiing for £400 again
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Welsh_PoppyWelsh_Poppy Forumite
    979 posts
    Off to add up my tally for May but know I will be over again..........darn!!
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Welsh_PoppyWelsh_Poppy Forumite
    979 posts
    Okay have talled up and May comes in at £254.83p over by £20.00 so not good will try harder for this coming June actually feel upset to go over by so much!!
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    If I take off the water filter refills I'd be a few pennies under this month, so I'm happy with that :D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ASCASC Forumite
    152 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ASC wrote: »
    Well, I’ve just added up the receipts from the weekend and lets just say the rest of the month is going to be a challenge! I have 15.42 left until 1 June :eek::eek::eek:

Well, I don't know who I was trying to kid, I don't want to use the 'f(ail)' word but I did!

I have however learnt some very important lessons:
    1. Check the calendar - 5 weekends and two bank holidays in May, nuff said!
    2. Check the weather - much of the overspend was caused by ignoring the meal plan and getting bbq stuff instead.
    3. Give myself a good talking to - DH was away a couple of times during the month and was expecting off plan stuff to take. This led me to get treats for me and the children so we didn't "miss out". Seems pathetic in hindsight, next time he can pay for his own treats and (maybe) I wont feel the need to compensate.
    4. Post more often - pc has been poorly lately so I've been reading the thread on my phone but not posting. It's too easy to carry on spending when I'm not adding up the figures.

Anyway, I went over last week and I didn't really want to put off the shopping this weekend due to bank holidays and the joys (?) of taking small children round a supermarket during half term... result is an appalling 306.22 the highest monthly spend this year for my first official challenge. I could take off most of Saturdays expense as it relates to June and I could add back stuff that I bought for this month but didn't eat, but I've not done it before so I shall take it on the chin in May. On a more positive note, we haven't had a single takeaway and the freezer is well stocked!

Off to June now to see if I can do better this month!

A x
  • poppy-glospoppy-glos Forumite
    478 posts
    declaring £387.79 for May, massive £167.79 over budget, took my eye of the ball once i knew i was over the £220 - that was a big mistake - will live and learn. I'm off to the june board now to pledge £220 and hopefully stick to it.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.