Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

May 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 78

New Post Advanced Search

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 6:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.2K views

Replies

• I'd like to declare at £187.77 out of £200 :jfor May please (even though I didn't officially join this month!) Would have been a cracking £167.77 but since we'd done so well this month we splashed out and had a takeaway on Thursday as OH was off work Fri. I'm adding that £20 to the challenge as we had already planned tea and COULD have gone without if we'd had to. (But we really enjoyed it...especially since it was guilt free!)

See you all on the June thread - good luck to all!

DFS
  • Hello everyone,
    Well, I've added up all my receipts and have gone over budget (but then I knew I had! :o) I'm declaring at £567.43 for May. I'm a bit fed up with myself but I know what is causing the overspend - it is, of course, all those little trips to the various supermarkets for milk, bread etc when I come out with all sorts of bargains and a bill for £20!
    Having belatedly discovered NSD's I think they are the way forward! I managed 2 at the beginning of this week and actually found it quite good fun to manage on what I had and be determined not to let a penny of my precious money end up in anyone's till! So, altogether that was 4 NSDs for May and I know I can improve on that.
    I'm finding this challenge and this thread absolutely brilliant, so thank you to everyone for inspiring me. MrsM, can you put me down for £500 again for June. Going to try and make it this time! Thanks.

• bevan840bevan840 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    1K posts
    Well, a very good month for me :)

£175.72 out of a £250 budget :D

See you all over on the June thread :wave:
    :idea: Jan 09. Debt @ LBM - £11936.55 Debt at worst - £12600.55 Current Debt (01/03/2012) £8,859.51 29.7% Paid off
    Honeymoon Fund £410.40/£6000 House Deposit £1.50
    :A Proud to be dealing with my debts. DFW Nerd 1177 :A
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    And finally - I`m declaring at £198.28 for May, 28.28 over - thats all down to the takeaways because the kitchen fitter has been hogging the blooming kitchen :mad: It should be finished this month so fingers crossed and i can have a good clean in there and get all the boxes unpacked.

I`m looking forward to getting back to normal and everything organised as its dragged on a lot longer than it should, i`ve been without a proper kitchen for almost 8 months :eek::eek:

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Hi everyone,
    can I declare £153.90 for May please. Mrs. Mc. can you put me down for £160 for highland fling for June please.
    Have been under for the last few months but not confident enough to drop target yet as every week I feel prices are rising and I would rather have a few pounds of wriggle room.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • KITTY_2-2KITTY_2-2 Forumite
    263 posts
    My month finished on Thusday with a slight overspend. This month has 5 weekends so need to adjust totals again. I'm going back to £250 for June.

Congratulations everyone on keeping track of your spending. Over or under isn't that important so long as we are aware of what we are spending. I have found I think more about what I pick up instead of mindlessly throwing stuff in the trolley and hoping there is a meal at the end of it!

Good luck for June ;)
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • Mrs M - can you put me down as £450 again for June's target & £591.63 as spends for May.

Thanks to you, RosieBen & Pink Winged for running this thread.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • edited 30 May 2010 at 8:52PM
    mrssnowy_2mrssnowy_2 Forumite
    403 posts
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    edited 30 May 2010 at 8:52PM
    MrsM,I'm declaring £175 for May-give or take a few days that I 'lost'.
    Thanks to you all who have kept us going

£180 again for June please,that will include 1 week's holiday(with all and sundry,and mum)already saved and paid for.

Just managed to catch up with posts.
    Hectic month,loads of stuff going on-DH OU tutorials/essays that were done and the b.'puter played up.
    Masses of WI,craft group and Day centre days/evenings.
    Work worse as a colleague off sick then resigned,so had to increase my hours back to same as 6 months ago-only just got used to them!
    Managed to sort out a lapsed pension 'pot',will get the princely sum of £40 per month,have to be careful not to fritter it:rotfl:

see you next month and well done all

mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • Hi all

Final update for May - not too good I'm afraid! I've overspent by £30 - mainly down to lots of little unneccessary spends. Also had rels down at weekend - unexpected so extra food shopping pushed me even more over.

Anyway new month new start so I declare a £170 spend against a budget of £140 for April. Can you please put me down for £160 for June - I'm on holiday for nearly a week in June so should be easy - famous last words......

Anyway good luck everyone & thanks for support & useful tips!

Dee
  • peetzil39peetzil39 Forumite
    99 posts
    Hi everyone, Haven't posted in ages, but still reading daily and keeping up to date with you all! Although I haven't yet totalled up for May I feel in my water its gonna be bad...still, as lots of people have said, an improvement on what I was doing before. Haven't tried the NSD thing, but considering it for June, and hope it will help to keep me on track. Meal plan and online shop done for the coming week though, just have to keep that up for the WHOLE month now!! I am such a OS lightweight, a lot of peoples posts make me hang my wee head in shame lol! Will pop back tomorrow to update for May.
    Peetzil x
    CC 1 Halifax £4350(4.9%)
    CC 2 MBNA £6260 (5.4%)
    CC 3 Barclaycard 8500(0%)
    CC 4 Tesco £2500
    O/D £3000:eek: