May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 6:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.2K views

Replies

• CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My spends for the last two weeks in May were £21.57 and £31.40, bringing me in under my target at £115.27 spent out of £140.00.
  • natsingnatsing Forumite
    555 posts
    Kept on budget this month and spent £150, I'd like to pledge the same again next month please
    Debt free 11/05/11!

Savings £4000/ £300
  • Keiss_21Keiss_21 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Today will be an NSD, so declaring £391.69 for May. I shouldn't have reduced my target from £400 to £350, but I forgot that DS2 would be home for most of the month, on study-leave/AS Level exams!! :(

He went in to munching overdrive, and ate us out of house and home!! :mad: He managed to put on over half a stone in only a few weeks, so he has realized that he has to stop the nibbles (gorging) and up the exercise as well...wish I could do it too! :o, though the weight has been coming off the last couple of weeks.

Staying with £400 for June, off to the June thread now.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb

• Total for May £162.99 ended up not including petrol as we had a few issues and OH went away midmonth.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • tessasmumtessasmum Forumite
    238 posts
    We have had a disastrous month for this, and I am sure we blew the budget a while ago, so I can't post a total (Again!) but we are on board for June as there are some big bills to pay - car tax, etc so we have to be better! Can we go down for £350 for June please?
    December GC: £350
  • Well we made it pretty well for May. I thought mid-month that it was going to be better, but got sidetracked by butter in Mr A (got enough in the freezer to last til at least Sept though:T) After using frozen stores through May the freezer is looking a bit less crowded, even with all the butter lol.

Plan to buy BBQ meat in June - as that is what all the supermarkets are using as a loss leader. Need burgers, sausages and chicken drumsticks and thighs. All can be used for everyday meals if the hoped for BBQ weather doesn't arrive.

For the last three months, I've worked on one large shop at the beginning of the month, followed by small top up shops when needed. It does seem to have worked, but for various reasons I'm reversing that pattern for June, and buying for a week at a time only. This will also show whether it's the pattern that works, or whether I am getting better at buying frugally. I am hoping to eventually get to the point where I can buy items on offer only ;) and rely on previous months stocks for those things that are not IYSWIM.

S_Wales_Saver is declaring for MAY at £220.31/£250

Please put me down for £250 again for JUNE Mrs Mac
    Dor
  • BotanyBotany Forumite
    244 posts
    I've just made all my sums and I can declare that I have spent:

£269.89 in May

.... that's 11 pence under budget!

So close!!!!! :eek:
  • katenutkatenut Forumite
    530 posts
    I'd like to declare at £122.47 for May please! Fairly pleased with this, still feel we could get this lower though.

Can you put me down for £150 in June please? Slowly getting it down to where we want it to be but the cupboards are looking a bit bare at the minute.

The best meal I did this month was a sausage casserole in the slow cooker which cost under £3 to make, and fed us for tea for three nights! It was yummy as well :)
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon .... :cool:
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Botany wrote: »
    I've just made all my sums and I can declare that I have spent:

£269.89 in May

.... that's 11 pence under budget!

So close!!!!! :eek:

LOL! I've just totted up my spends including a weeny spend in Mr T today for new toothbrush head for DD (she snapped hers this morning, so it couldn't wait until tomorrow - grr!! :)) and my total is £449.95 against my £450 budget!!:rotfl::rotfl:

Off to the June thread now:D

greent x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £591.06/£500 Decluttering: 1900/2020
  • Winged_oneWinged_one Forumite
    610 posts
    I am declaring at €591 for May - just about under. But I went so close because the frozen prawns I use as standby in the freezer were half price (and I am out of them), and I spent €10 to get meat for 3 or more meals - 2 lots of mince and chicken goujons (buy 3 for €10, they were all €4.99 each, so basically got the 2nd mince for freezer for free).

Chilli tonight- which was tasty but DH thought the titchy chillis had no heat (so he added in 2 scotch bonnets!)
    Meatballs, tomato sauce and pasta tomorrow
    Chicken goujons with waffles Wed
    Chicken or prawns, with rice and a jar of curry sauce Thurs

Still working lots on running down stocks. And actually making some progress through them!
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550