May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Hi everyone

NSD yesterday (yay :j) and only spent £15.61 today (whoopsied fruit and potatoes, plus around £4.20 on shopping for mum). Freezer still full so I'm a happy bunny :D
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,694
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    We have spent another £62.26 on our main big shop of the month. This means we have £37.25 left for the rest of the month out of our £108 budget.
    It is my birthday this month - going to be 21 :cool: - but I have a different budget for that thankfully :beer:.

Fiance and I are havng home made chinese tonight. I'm having sweet and sour vegetables with rice noodles and seaweed, he will be having egg fried rice and beef chow mein. Local chinese place this would cost us around £17 :eek:. Doing this at home will cost less than £5 :D.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Well the soups ready, whizzed it up with my new stick blender (good buy from Amazon, also has a whisk which I used for the eggs and butter and sugar for the brownies). OMG its bl**dy lovely.

Doesn't need cheese or cream but I think crumbled crispy bacon will enhance it as would some crispy fried onions but really can't be bothered with that.

Bread rising on baking tray on the floor (underfloor heating).

Just opened a bottle of my favourite wine (Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc) that I got on offer from Tesco and I'd forgotten how nice it is as I haven't had it for a while.

OH out cutting the grass and I need to get the washing in, hasn't it just been the perfect day for drying washing?

Hope it keeps up as want to do the beds tomorrow.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Spent £6.50 in farmfood on milk, bread, crisps and treats for the lunchboxes, didnt realise I spent that much on treat stuff till you right it down!

At least today I had a NSD

Mr T shop coming Monday and just need juice thats on offer from neto on Monday.

Enjoy the rest of the evening xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 9 May 2010 at 8:09AM
    Evening all

Really tried to keep my spending down today and only spent £6.04 on spaghetti, strawberry jam, potatoes, ice-cream, onions and rolls - not bad for a Saturday. I fended off requests for pop and sweeties and made a cake instead - though I've decided I will not put sweets in the GC anymore (and buy less).

I'm determined not to have a T*sco delivery until 18/5 and I'm trying to spend as little as possible before that.

My very short meal plan from last week has finished now and I'll have to do another one - I really don't like doing them - it feels like homework used to!!

lilian1977 - I had just decided not to buy anymore icebergs but the only leaves in my price range yesterday was a reduced one in the C*op so I succumbed. I have planted some salad leaves so hopefully they will see us through the Summer and be a bit more exciting!

Spiggle - I love elections too and sat up 'til 3.15 waiting for all to come clear! I'm still waiting!

Anyway I've spent £167.48 out of £400 - 42% - and have about £10 a day left - this can't be right! Something will happen - it always does!

Hope you're having a good weekend.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    hi nsd for me today:j but i do have to update my sig as i had my shopping delivered on thurs which came to £54.83, also popped to mr t again on friday as i forgot to order some bits so another spend there of £4.97 :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Greent & Hex2 - was just reading your posts thinking I was not doing as well as you & you have the same budget as me. What date does your month end on? My ends on the 26th.

I work on a full calender month as DH gets paid on the last day so you are five days in front of me. I have usually spent a lot more by now but I had a full freezer, and two 'free' veg boxes to start the month.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 May 2010 at 10:38AM
    NJW69 wrote: »

Just opened a bottle of my favourite wine (Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc) that I got on offer from Tesco and I'd forgotten how nice it is as I haven't had it for a while.

Mine too - I also stocked uup when it was £5 a bottle! I get so excited when I find it on offer - it's not like the usual Tesco offers where something's always on offer is it, it's usually over £8.50 a bottle! :eek: So when it's £5 it's such a treat :)

Just spent £8.88 on food in Mr T - including 3 tomato plants which I am including as a food spend. Also bought some fruit sugar 'honey' substitute to have on my HM blueberry pancakes - a little more expensive but better for us.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • poppy-glos
    poppy-glos Posts: 478 Forumite
    £72.29 spent out of £220.

Budget aid of £50 per week, so aim to spend no more than £27.70 between now and end of 14th to be on track with budget.

I have not been on here or totalling up daily so am planning to visit daily again to keep me on track.

good luck all,

poppy x

nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • Hello everyone,

well at last I have caught up with posts.
    Welcome to all the new members and hopefully you will find this forum as helpful as I have. I have learned so much just be reading others posts. People on here are very helpful and always willing to share their experience and the recipes are delicious and very economical.

Glad to see so many newbies on board. I think more and more people are now becoming more aware of the amount we spend/waste on food. Even some of my friends who have never had to count the pennies are now commenting on how much more they are spending on every aspect of their housekeeping and particularly on how much their grocery spends are rising. I think each time I visit the supermarket I notice some item which has taken a spectacular jump in price.

Well today dinner will be steak pie, cauliflower and potatoes. Have everything under control so just popping out to the garden to plant some salad leaves in a container. Have to be careful here with planting, not worth planting too early, as we can still have overnight frost at this time of year. Hopefully they will not take long to grow and then I can pop out and pick a few leaves when ever I wish.

Good luck to all.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure