PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    The branch of MrT I used yesterday, has put its purple 3L milk up to £1:25 :mad: I'm not sure what price it is in my usual branch, as I've noticed before that they can charge different prices although less than 10 miles apart & being of similar size :angry: Would expect it from an express or summat..
    Hi BMF, mine at Tesco extra Cleethorpes today was also £1.25; so maybe this is the new price.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mr S has put his 4pt orange top milk up from £1 to £1.53 :eek:. However if you buy 2 you save £1.06 meaning each 4pt is £1. Luckily we get 2 lots anyway, plus 2 x 6pt full fat!!

Todays shopping came in at £56.47, which included some bits for a picnic tomorrow as we're all off to sunny Devon for a 90th birthday party (free food :j:rotfl:)

The children also had some sweets today and they chose a tube of strawberry goo for 79p each, it's very sour but they love it, luckily as it's the first time they've had it. There's loads left so that should see them through the weekend.

Hope everyone has a fun and frugal weekend :)
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £79.56 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to Mr T yesterday and got the free McCain's Homefries using the voucher - they were £2.46 and the voucher took off £2.70 which was great as it took money off the milk. Which has been put up 20p anyway! Grr. Anyway. 61p spent, total updated.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    Hiya everyone! time to get back on the straight and narrow road to Old Style enlightenment!:T
    (Well making the most of ye olde hard earned cash!)
    Please can you put me down for £280 for the May challenge
    Last week I concocted some weird tasty meals and the fridge was almost empty so I went shopping yesterday but have found 6 brown/black bananas lurking in a corner -looks like its time for a loaf or a cake dunno which! or any other suggestions p'raps?
    At the moment my fridge is full of eggs, eggs and more eggs because "the wee gals" keep laying 4 a day (I'm not moaning honest!) so please can some nice person point me in the direction of egg recipes?
    Thanks everyone for your continued encouragement for people like me:A
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the moment my fridge is full of eggs, eggs and more eggs because "the wee gals" keep laying 4 a day (I'm not moaning honest!) so please can some nice person point me in the direction of egg recipes?

Some egg ideas here! http://community.rivercottage.net/users/possumpie/forums/processing-and-other-crafts/viewtopic/topic_id:26696

I would just make banana loaf with your bananas - or you could freeze them?
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    Thanks so much lilian1977 :)- I checked on the website and I'm going to freeze them ready for cakes and scrambled eggs etc -there are some really good ideas and I'm going to remind hubby to take a few to work for donations towards the upkeep! well time to mash the old bananas and turn them into something scrummy mmmm......
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • kitschy
    kitschy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    Small spend for me this week - £4.55 on a potato, milk, cat food and litter. Am pleased so far but might expand my budget next month to include all my spending excluding bills if that makes sense. That way I can't try and cheat my head into not categorising things as groceries!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If you have some of the small size silicone muffin cases try pastryless quiche.

Should freeze well and would be great to pop into lunchboxes.

I`ve just been looking at the muffin cases in Wilkinsons and they were 12 for around £2.50. I shall get some when the kitchen is finished, no point in me getting them now as all the bits and pieces have to be stored somewhere and my room is full of boxes atm.

I shall definitely be trying this though

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    I`ve just been looking at the muffin cases in Wilkinsons and they were 12 for around £2.50. I shall get some when the kitchen is finished, no point in me getting them now as all the bits and pieces have to be stored somewhere and my room is full of boxes atm.
    I got some from B+M a few weeks ago - 99p for a pack of 12. I'd fancied getting some for ages, but not been able to justify the prices I'd seen until then :)
    Cheryl
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    End of week one, and my total figure so far is £171.48. It's not as bad as it looks though, as I decided to try something a bit different, and have included what the contents of my storecupboard would have cost.

My actual cash spends for the week are £65.07 - and that has included a months worth of tinned foods and cheese and about £10 worth of fruit - which the kids have already devoured - I think the aliens have been doing some body swapping, or they OD'd on chocolate at easter, as normally fruit grows legs and walks away before the kids choose to eat it - but I'm not complaining :D

I have over a week of main meals in the freezer, and got emailed a Tesco code, so have a £50 delivery booked for Tuesday with milk and bread for another week, and a few odds and ends to get us through to the end of the month (plus a load of nappies, which come from a different budget).

All I need outside of the delivery is some ham and fruit, which I prefer to pick myself, and should come in at around £10-£15. That'll mean that I'll have done this week on a cash spend of around £40, with 5, or maybe even 6, NSDs - so wish me luck.

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure