MSE News: Asda offers price match refund guarantee

Options

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    but surely you would rather your whole shop is cheaper than one item?
    otherwise its better shopping at the competitor?

Yes ok that's true, but most weeks I take advantage of at least 1 bogof/ buy2 for £x which would usually be unique to that supermarket at that time. If I went to Tesco I would have not bought it or just bought 1, but the free item in Asda will be charged for when comparing to Tesco and so this one item could cancel out potential savings.
    For example my kids are not too fussy about choccy biscuits or crisps they like most kinds. I will take advantage of any bogof deal on them. If I shop in Asda I will get say quavers bogof, but if I'd shopped in Tesco I'd have got say bogof skips instead. Same price overall, but when comparing the shopping list I'd be charged for 2 packs from Tesco even though I'd not have bought them had I shopped there iyswim.

I am also happy to shop around. Milk and bread might be cheaper in Asda, but their cereals could be dearer. While the trolley load of milk bread and cereal might work out cheaper overall from Asda or same price as tesco, I'd save more by nipping in to tesco on the way home and getting my cereal from there. In this case Asda "get away" with expensive cereal because this extra would be cancelled by cheaper milk.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just tried it and got 1.34 back :) morrisons were cheaper. but they didnt stock many things.

Tesco Sainsbury's Morrisons
    +£5.13+£6.36-£1.33
    you can click in and see whats the prices were at both supermarkets, dont think it checks the 2 for £4 etc
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    Just tried I didn't think I would get anything back but got a voucher for £4.80 not alot but more than I thought.
  • treforsouthwell
    Options
    Just tried the web site and save nearly £2, thanks ASDA:)
  • muffin_man
    muffin_man Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eslick wrote: »
    just tried it and got 1.34 back :) morrisons were cheaper. but they didnt stock many things.

Tesco Sainsbury's Morrisons
    +£5.13+£6.36-£1.33
    you can click in and see whats the prices were at both supermarkets, dont think it checks the 2 for £4 etc

It does check offers - it compares completely based on mysupermarket.co.uk data. Provided there is a defined list of what products are included in the offer, and the products you buy are comparable between the two supermarkets, the offer will match up.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    muffin_man wrote: »
    It does check offers - it compares completely based on mysupermarket.co.uk data.

Morrisons prices aren't on mysupermarket, so it can't compare completely on that data.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not pointless.

Suppose you have a shopping list. Half the items on it will be cheaper in Tesco and the other half cheaper in ASDA. When comparing baskets one will cancel out the other, so the difference in price for the total basket will be small.

But, if you have the list mentioned above, you can pick out the items that are cheaper in tesco and pay for those separately, then pay for the ones that are cheaper at ASDA. You will then have one receipt where everything on it is cheaper at Tesco, so you will get more money back because there are no items that are cheaper at ASDA cancelling out the price difference.

Tesco and ASDA seem to be the same price on most things. Surely it is too much effort for people to compile long lists with 1000s of products that may change price regularly, then carefully splitting your shop between 2 stores and then logging onto a website, getting it analysed and printing out a voucher which I doubt will be more than a few pounds for most people?
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In my experience ASDA is cheaper than Tesco apart from offers. I think we should give ASDA a bit of credit if it means we can all save a bit.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Tesco and ASDA seem to be the same price on most things.

I wouldn't know, I don't shop at either.
    Surely it is too much effort for people to compile long lists with 1000s of products that may change price regularly,

Nobody suggested that people compile long lists. What was suggested was one list with every body contributing to it. Would it be too much effort to add one or two things to the list?
    then carefully splitting your shop between 2 stores

I didn't mean shop at two stores, just put the items that are cheaper at Tesco through the checkout at asda first and pay for them separately.
    and then logging onto a website, getting it analysed and printing out a voucher which I doubt will be more than a few pounds for most people?

Well, logging onto the site and entering your receipt details didn't seem to be that hard to me. If I'd had a receipt then I would have done it.

Several people in here have already done it, and seem happy with the money they got back from asda.
  • kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think its a good idea if you shop at asda anyway

We shop at asda as its the only shop around our way, so I will be trying it out
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family