PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gastronomy without the Economy!

Comments

• pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Khol rabi

I do a asian slaw with it........ carrots, kholrabi, lime juice, sometimes green mango, corriander, chilli, sesame oil, peanuts on top, served on the side of a curry.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    hex2 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for two venison steaks, two ostrich steaks and some cubed venison that are knocking round in the bottom of the freezer?
    cubed venison - I'd use the green and blacks italian venison recipe... if you can't find it I can let you have my amended version
    crux wrote: »
    It's trimmings from Venison steak, bits with connective membrane etc, so would be best slow cooked. We had the rest a while ago pan roasted with a red wine, chocolate and raspberry vinegar sauce which was :EasterBun

I love Venison, it is I think my favorite meat, but it is pricey from our local butcher so it's a treat.
    I'd make sure you remove as much of the membrane as possible as it reallly doesn't cook well. Then marinade for at least 12 hours in herbs, oil and wine. Then either casserole or make kebabs and BBQ
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sea78 wrote: »
    Hi :) This thread caught me attention - thanks to CCCS and my DMP I have a good budget for food but still like to watch the pennies of course while still cookin good food - which can be done really cheaply or not.

I made a gorgeous wild garlic, leek and potato gratin out of my veg box this week, and it was lovely!!! :D I am thinking of taking the kids out to the woods to try to find myself some wild garlic, though not sure how successful that would be! Got in my head a fish dish with wild garlic stuffing thingy :)

Will be reading the thread for inspiration, as well as the rest of the OS board - loving it!

ooh - and also - if you can find anyone in your area that reers organic meat (I mean smaller independent farmers rather than abel&Cole, riverford etc)- I got a huge amount of organic lamb for the freezer for £20 but going in with a few others. it's made LOADS of meals and still have lots left - might be worth investigating?
    Sea xxxxx

Wild garlic, leek and potato gratin :p:p(drools...). I'm on my way - where do you live?:rotfl:....now with a bit of soft goats cheese as well....:p
  • crux
    crux Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    greenbee wrote: »
    I'd make sure you remove as much of the membrane as possible as it reallly doesn't cook well. Then marinade for at least 12 hours in herbs, oil and wine. Then either casserole or make kebabs and BBQ

Good info, thanks. From memory there should be quite a lot that is good stuff as I trimmed 8 steaks up to the same size after I over ordered, but I'll cut out the membrane as much as pos and it can be a treat for the cats :rotfl:
    We make our habits, then our habits make us
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would love to try low carb eating, but the home baking is my problem.
    Home baking is still possible - it is just a little different ;), mostly based on ground almonds and/or protein powder, even pastry for quiches, although I just cook the filling in a silicone form.

I bake my own low carb bread using yeast. Only small slices admittedly, and I only ever have 2 at a time, but I had a bacon sarnie as part of my lunch today, along with more bacon and an egg.

I have made delicious low carb chocolate chip cookies (not as low carb as the US original would have been because I can't get sugar free chocolate, but way lower than regular choc chip cookies). I have also made muffins. The family like them as much as regular. In fact they eat their stuff and then scoff mine if I'm not careful :mad:
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    Brilliant

Please people don't feel you can only ask for one, ask for whatever interests you, it takes me less than a minute to send:D
    I'd have felt greedy asking for too many :o:o:o but you sent me extra, thanks :A

can't wait to get a look at them :j
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    I adore mince.

Me too, usually....tried a new Mince recipe tonight - Keema Curry, and to quote Crocodile Dundee: "You can live on it, but it tastes like sh*t" :laugh:

Don't think I'll be eating mince for quite a while _pale_
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Me too, usually....tried a new Mince recipe tonight - Keema Curry, and to quote Crocodile Dundee: "You can live on it, but it tastes like sh*t" :laugh:

awww, that's a shame it's put you off :(

a good Keema Curry is delicious, Madhur Jaffrey has a lovely recipe that includes peas, was it something like that?
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Hippeechiq wrote: »

oh what a shame, what recipe did you use? keema matar (with peas) is a massive fav in our house
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Home baking is still possible - it is just a little different ;), mostly based on ground almonds and/or protein powder, even pastry for quiches, although I just cook the filling in a silicone form.

I bake my own low carb bread using yeast. Only small slices admittedly, and I only ever have 2 at a time, but I had a bacon sarnie as part of my lunch today, along with more bacon and an egg.

I have made delicious low carb chocolate chip cookies (not as low carb as the US original would have been because I can't get sugar free chocolate, but way lower than regular choc chip cookies). I have also made muffins. The family like them as much as regular. In fact they eat their stuff and then scoff mine if I'm not careful :mad:

You can't make me drool like that and not post recipes or links to them, especially the cookies! :) TIA!
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure