PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gastronomy without the Economy!

Comments

• jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    I would do the venison steaks really simply, fried medium with a mushroom and red wine sauce and at this time of the year some simple asparagus on the side. Use the leftover asparagus stalks for a nice simple asparagus soup.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    One thing I don't like to comprimise on is a sunday roast - I justify the 'luxury' of a slab of good meat but making 2 meals from it, serving with seasonal/ home grown veg.

I have also discovered a free way of making any meal taste better and be appreciated by the family more is to sit at the table to eat it rather than on our knees...though this is still an occassional treat when Dr Who coincides with dinner!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Jackie - sounds lovely. I might even manage homegrown asparagus yet.

I meant to say Thriftlady I totally agree on Rose Prince - now that is a book that makes me hungry. I also like the Clare Macdonald ones for the same reason. Just thinking about it set me off so I am sat here eating a slice of HM Chocolate Nut Meringue Roulade as made in between gardening yesterday. The rest of the double cream has been poured onto some sliced potatoes and garlic, which will be slow cooked and served with roast beef (a small joint from the good butchers, rather than a big bit from the supermarket) with kohl rabi from my veg box. *dribbles*
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • jackieglasgow
    Oh I love Kohl rabi, what are you doing with it?
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • hex2
    Oh I love Kohl rabi, what are you doing with it?

steamed and then dressed with butter and pepper I think. I do like my veg 'simples' mostly - let the flavour shine through and all that.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • jackieglasgow
    Thanks. Me too, I was hoping you'd suggest something new, oh well, maybe someone else will come along....
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never tried kohl rabi. It has never turned up in my veg box, and I've never seen it in the greengrocer's. What does it taste like?
  • Addiscomber
    MrsE wrote: »
    Anyone that I've PMed these too & I've done a few now, if you're not out in the kitchen dusting down your woks can you let me know they are uploading & downloading ok:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Thank you very much. That was quick, and both files are fine..
  • hex2
    addiscomber - kohl rabi to me tastes like radish but milder. Very nice raw too, DS1 has had to be chased away from the prepped bowl. I do grow it myself but this lot came in my veg box two weeks in a row.
  • Addiscomber
    Thanks, hex2. Are they easy to grow? and any idea how much an average one weighs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure