Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Gastronomy without the Economy! - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Gastronomy without the Economy!

edited 4 May 2010 at 9:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
107 replies 23.5K views

Replies

• HariboJunkieHariboJunkie Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sea78 wrote: »
    I use broccoli stalks in broccoli pasta bake - they just take a few mins longer than the trees and are great - add something more to the bake as well. xx

And they make great broccoli and stilton soup. Saves any waste and no one is any the wiser. ;)
  • cruxcrux Forumite
    156 posts
    I don't think you can beat a decent prawn mayo baked potato or a chilli filling bulked out with lots of mushrroms, peppers, kidney beans, coriander and topped with soured cream.;)

I have used THIS RECIPE substituting the beef for venision and it was great.

Must admit it's a while since we had a mince type dish, suddenly thinking Moroccan spiced veggie mince for the spud may be nice (got veggie mince in the freezer).

Lunch tomorrow is Spiced prawn and little gem salad, substituting green beans from my freezer in place of expensive and imported sugar snap peas. :D
    We make our habits, then our habits make us
  • HariboJunkieHariboJunkie Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    crux wrote: »
    Must admit it's a while since we had a mince type dish, suddenly thinking Moroccan spiced veggie mince for the spud may be nice.

Lunch tomorrow is Spiced prawn and little gem salad, substituting green beans from my freezer in place of expensive and imported sugar snap peas. :D

I love veggie mince chilli non carne. :D Lots and lots of coriander is the key. ;)
  • MrsE_2MrsE_2 PPR
    24.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must admit it's a while since we had a mince type dish, suddenly thinking Moroccan spiced veggie mince for the spud may be nice (got veggie mince in the freezer).

I adore mince.

Last week I found a recipe for mozzarella stuffed meat balls in a roasted red pepper sauce, it was fab.
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Regards baked potatoes, I find souffle baked potatoes scrummy! I just use the method as a guideline (not that method, it was in fact a slimming world recipe) and throw what ever I have in drooling-8.gifdrooling-3.gif

They can be as economy/luxurious as you like and still be delicious:j

Crux
    - glad to see you posting :hello::D

I have a yummy meatballs recipe passed on from my friends mum - with rosemary,basil, red wine, buffalo moz - far from the cheapest recipe in the (proverbial) book, and the remaining sauce is gorgeous with pasta sauce. It is a bit of a faff to make, but i can post the recipe tomorow when i have more time (if anyone wants it). They are aromatic and sexy :o:rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• angukanguk Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    And they make great broccoli and stilton soup. Saves any waste and no one is any the wiser. ;)
    Every time we have broccoli I chuck the stalks in a bag in the freezer, when it's full I make a huge pan of brocolli soup. No-one in the family has realised yet that their soup is made with the bits that most people throw away! :D
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • PsykicpupPsykicpup Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Anyone got any killer Baked potato filling ideas?

Also, Thursday in the slow cooker I'm going to use some left over diced Venison from the freezer, I can do red wine braised Venison of course, but it's a bit autumnal, anyone got a lighter Venison casserole type recipe?

What cut of venison do you have? - it doesnt have to be slow cooked unless that is easier for you of course lol.
    You can cook venison anyway you would a decent piece of beef..
    & before I get jumped on we have a very nice game butcher nearby who I swear is cheaper than Mr T for the equivalent beef joint ... not to mention the occasional 'road kill' that comes our way lol
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • edited 25 April 2010 at 7:06PM
    cruxcrux Forumite
    156 posts
    edited 25 April 2010 at 7:06PM
    Psykicpup wrote: »
    What cut of venison do you have? - it doesnt have to be slow cooked unless that is easier for you of course lol.
    You can cook venison anyway you would a decent piece of beef..
    & before I get jumped on we have a very nice game butcher nearby who I swear is cheaper than Mr T for the equivalent beef joint ... not to mention the occasional 'road kill' that comes our way lol

It's trimmings from Venison steak, bits with connective membrane etc, so would be best slow cooked. We had the rest a while ago pan roasted with a red wine, chocolate and raspberry vinegar sauce which was :EasterBun

I love Venison, it is I think my favorite meat, but it is pricey from our local butcher so it's a treat.
    We make our habits, then our habits make us
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were cooking venison for a shooting party in Out Of The Frying Pan on BBC this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s2v4w
  • MrsE_2MrsE_2 PPR
    24.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Venison, it is I think my favorite meat, but it is pricey from our local butcher so it's a treat.

Loads of roadkill around here, the silly things are always jumping in front of cars:eek::(