Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

Gastronomy without the Economy! - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Gastronomy without the Economy!

edited 4 May 2010 at 9:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
107 replies 23.5K views

Replies

• Mrse wrote: »
    I have some more PDF files if anyone ones some.

I also have summer foods/bar-b-qs
    Healthy thrify cooking US style
    Around the world 1
    Around the world 2
    Cocktails:o

I thought you hadn't got much time!!!;)
  • cruxcrux Forumite
    156 posts
    Ok, I see that the original thread got locked and thanks to zippychick for the PM explaining things.

I want to say thanks to those who helped me on the last thread. I came to understand that there are ways to eat much more cost effectively but also to the ultimate realization that no, I don't spend to much on my food.

It seams I have fairly expensive tastes and my challenge is to find money saving ways to buy the expensive ingredients I want, that will be my personal quest in the future along with trying to finding tasty recipes that are great value.

But I have taken on board a lot of points people made and we are going to put in place a veggie night where we eat as simply and as cheaply as possible. This together with a greater awareness of prices and alternatives will I'm sure help me meet my budget.
    We make our habits, then our habits make us
  • I was just about to post and say I felt sad that Crux's interesting and informative thread was closed and that I hope it wouldn't put him off the OS board but I see he has posted now!

I was looking forward to him starting a Foodies go Frugal thread! But now we have this one so hope the good advice and discussion can continue.

I hope you will still post here Crux, as I enjoyed reading you and the topic is very interesting. I do bulk things out, more for health reasons as much finances though that has been an issue in the past, and of course I always use whoopsies when I can but like Haribo, I still think you can eat very well and very nicely without having to compromise on taste or flavours.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • edited 25 April 2010 at 6:29PM
    cruxcrux Forumite
    156 posts
    edited 25 April 2010 at 6:29PM
    Anyone got any killer Baked potato filling ideas?

Also, Thursday in the slow cooker I'm going to use some left over diced Venison from the freezer, I can do red wine braised Venison of course, but it's a bit autumnal, anyone got a lighter Venison casserole type recipe?
    We make our habits, then our habits make us
  • hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Thanks, hex2. Are they easy to grow? and any idea how much an average one weighs?

The one I have left weighs 1lb. I bought them as pre grown modules a couple of years ago and they were easy enough, this year I am growing them from seed.

Dinner went down well with everyone inlcuding fussy small children and equally fussy teenagers.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • edited 25 April 2010 at 6:32PM
    Sea78Sea78 Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 25 April 2010 at 6:32PM
    Hi :) This thread caught me attention - thanks to CCCS and my DMP I have a good budget for food but still like to watch the pennies of course while still cookin good food - which can be done really cheaply or not.

I made a gorgeous wild garlic, leek and potato gratin out of my veg box this week, and it was lovely!!! :D I am thinking of taking the kids out to the woods to try to find myself some wild garlic, though not sure how successful that would be! Got in my head a fish dish with wild garlic stuffing thingy :)

Will be reading the thread for inspiration, as well as the rest of the OS board - loving it!

ooh - and also - if you can find anyone in your area that reers organic meat (I mean smaller independent farmers rather than abel&Cole, riverford etc)- I got a huge amount of organic lamb for the freezer for £20 but going in with a few others. it's made LOADS of meals and still have lots left - might be worth investigating?
    Sea xxxxx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£[strike]37,016.47[/strike]£0 DEBT FREE FEB 14 :j
  • HariboJunkieHariboJunkie Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    crux wrote: »

Also, Thursday in the slow cooker I'm going to use some left over diced Venison from the freezer, I can do red wine braised Venison of course, but it's a bit autumnal, anyone got a lighter Venison casserole type recipe?

I don't think you can beat a decent prawn mayo baked potato or a chilli filling bulked out with lots of mushrroms, peppers, kidney beans, coriander and topped with soured cream.;)

I have used THIS RECIPE substituting the beef for venision and it was great.
  • Swan_2Swan_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    I've never tried kohl rabi. It has never turned up in my veg box, and I've never seen it in the greengrocer's. What does it taste like?
    hex2 wrote: »
    addiscomber - kohl rabi to me tastes like radish but milder. Very nice raw too, DS1 has had to be chased away from the prepped bowl. I do grow it myself but this lot came in my veg box two weeks in a row.
    they're delicious & remind me of nice crisp fresh broccoli stalks, which incidentally I prefer to the 'trees'

I must be careful what I say :shhh: there was a near riot in the Arms recently about the merits & demerits of broccoli stalks & the morality of snapping them off in the supermarket :D
  • Sea78Sea78 Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I use broccoli stalks in broccoli pasta bake - they just take a few mins longer than the trees and are great - add something more to the bake as well. xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£[strike]37,016.47[/strike]£0 DEBT FREE FEB 14 :j
  • edited 25 April 2010 at 6:52PM
    Money_saving_Diva_2Money_saving_Diva_2 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    edited 25 April 2010 at 6:52PM
    crux wrote: »

Oooh, one of my fave comfort foods..
    • bacon, shallots and blue cheese
    • Garlic and herb butter with shaved parmesan
    • left over bolognaise or chilli
    • basic cheese and coleslaw which is elevated by making your own coleslaw and using a good cheese (or as my OH does when I am not around, any cheese he can find and a tub of Tescos coleslaw!)
    • smoked salmon and soft cheese with a sprinkling of chives
    • prawns, marie rose sauce with a pinch of chilli powder
    Incidently, I cut the broccolli stalks off and slice them and have them almost as as a seperate veg to the tops.

music-smiley-7517.gifDiva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.