Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

Gastronomy without the Economy! - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Gastronomy without the Economy!

edited 4 May 2010 at 9:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
107 replies 23.5K views

Replies

• Swan_2Swan_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    rachbc wrote: »
    ahh now you see I've only ever used lamb mince for keema never beef or pork - perhaps it does make a difference
    I use lamb or beef, & it's always lovely, the turkey was one of those let's-eat-healthier-but-never-to-be-repeated experiments _pale_

I thought pork might have worked, but after reading about Hippeechiq's experience I definitely won't be trying it out!
  • AlmoAlmo Forumite
    631 posts
    Hi Crux,

Not at all sure if this is the kind of info you're after, but here goes!

My OH was feeling poorly and sorry for himself, so I trotted off to cook some dinner. He kept saying he wasn't hungry but I was so I continued regardless :D. I made chicken stirfry and ginger rice - nothing fancy at all, but to try and cheer him up I spent a bit of time on presentation - put the rice into a bowl and moulded it like they do at restaurants, then turned it out onto a plate, alternated brocolli and chicken (& other veg) round the outside in a pretty pattern and finished the whole thing off with some artfully placed (in my eyes) chives.

The difference was phenomenal - OH made lots of positive comments about the appearance of the food and ate it all, which I don't think he would have otherwise done. Since then I've been making more of an effort and it really has elevated ordinary meals to exciting ones!

I was just thinking that on your one cheap, veggie day (as mentioned by you on a previous page) you could really work on some kind of amazing presentation to make it seem less like cheap veggie day and more like pretty food day. I have no idea whether you have time to be doing things like that, so apologies if it's a non starter!
  • puss14puss14 Forumite
    310 posts
    ✭✭
    I agree that presentation can make the world of difference, my OH definitely appreciates it.
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • HippeechiqHippeechiq Forumite
    1.1K posts
    rachbc wrote: »
    ahh now you see I've only ever used lamb mince for keema never beef or pork - perhaps it does make a difference

I think that must be it then, as it was definitely akin to Swans turkey mince experience _pale_

I've only ever used pork mince in a sweet type savoury dish before, iukwim, consisting of - among other ingredients - soy sauce, honey, orange juice & raisins, so maybe I just don't appreciate the flavour of it curried, or..........maybe I'm just a rubbish cook :rotfl:
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • albacookiealbacookie Forumite
    273 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Mrse wrote: »
    I adore mince.

Last week I found a recipe for mozzarella stuffed meat balls in a roasted red pepper sauce, it was fab.

Ooh - sounds yum - do you have a link?
    zippychick wrote: »
    I have a yummy meatballs recipe passed on from my friends mum - with rosemary,basil, red wine, buffalo moz - far from the cheapest recipe in the (proverbial) book, and the remaining sauce is gorgeous with pasta sauce. It is a bit of a faff to make, but i can post the recipe tomorow when i have more time (if anyone wants it). They are aromatic and sexy :o:rotfl:

Please post the recipe - this sounds amazing!
  • McpPslMcpPsl Forumite
    193 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi wssla00,
    wssla00 wrote: »
    My favourite desert is lemon cream ice cream. So delicious. I will root out the recipe later. You do need double or whipping cream and unwaxed lemons plus some icing sugar but can't remember the quantities. I have a gaggia so it's pretty easy for me to make, but can be made in a pot in the freezer too :)

Would it be possible for you to share the recipe please?

best wishes
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭
    albacookie wrote: »
    Please post the recipe - this sounds amazing!

faffy but tasty meatballs! 4 large (IMO) portions

Ingredients

1 large onion
    2 dried chilli ground (i used dried flakes and guessed :) )
    4 tins whole plum tomatoes (friend says whole better as they all break down in cooking and give a good flavour)
    3 cloves garlic
    Ground cumin seeds
    Dijon mustard
    Breadcrumbs (he brought a bag?!:eek:)
    1 egg yolk
    Fresh rosemary chopped (handful ish?)
    Fresh basil- torn
    Olive oil
    Red wine vinegar or red wine (we used shiraz)
    Salt and pepper
    Mince meat (600-700g)
    Buffalo mozerella and parmesan

This recipe can easily be frugalised if you wanted to :D ( I personally wouldn't dare, some things need not be messed with:rotfl:)

Method - start with sauce as has least an hour simmer time

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil, heat one chopped garlic clove and one ground chilli (or teaspoon chilli flakes?) , add all the tinned tomatoes and simmer for an hour

Add redwine/RW vinegar (we used a very small glass worth/a splosh)

Leave the toms whole, they will break down with cooking . At this stage , we "played about with the sauce" and got it to our taste by adding a little sugar (to help with acidity), salt and pepper

Meantime - Meatballs.

Combine mince, chopped rosemary, egg yolk, breadcrumbs, ground cumin seeds, , rest of chillis and salt and pepper . Fry off onion and garlic and mustard (without browning) in a pan, then add to meatball mix

Make your meatballs (wet hands helps) , then brown in a frying pan .

Put meatballs in a casserole dish, cover with tomato sauce (once you have it to your liking), throw in the fresh basil and top with chunks of mozerella and grated parmesan. Pop in preheated oven 180-200, and cook for around 25mins - or until the topping is golden brown and the cheese is melted

Served with fresh pasta is delicious. I made garlic bread, but we barely needed it. You will probably be left with sauce and broken down bits of mince - i had this for 3 meals after with more fresh pasta drooling-3.gif

I did say it's faffy, but so delicious and aromatic and tasty , i now actually want some, and my healthy diet food seems like rabbit food now :eek::p

Damn you all.:D Might have to make some this weekend!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• ceridwenceridwen PPR
    11.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    puss14 wrote: »
    I agree that presentation can make the world of difference, my OH definitely appreciates it.

Edible flowers anyone? Personally - I think a few nasturtium or borage flowers or the like add a bit of colour to a salad - and its not possible to get them from a supermarket (not any one I have ever been in anyway):)

Whilst on this - I've noticed there are various everyday vegetables that I cant find at all in supermarkets (presumably because they dont have the "shelf life" supermarkets want or something...) - so it feels like a treat to be sitting down to some sort of veg. only obtainable from a very smallscale supplier (like Farmers Markets for instance).
  • what kind of things Ceridwen?
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • NJW69NJW69 Forumite
    841 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Our treat is fillet steak. I don't buy any other kind either to eat at home or if we go out.

Pan fry with peppercorns, ground pepper, brandy to deglaze and then some single cream. Delicious!

Serve with rocket and parmesan with balsamic.

Also buy on-the-vine mini plum tomatoes etc, the large value ones aren't worth the effort.

Jacket potato filling - sliced mushrooms, diced onion, sauteed in olive oil, knob of butter stirred in, salt and pepper, splash of milk or cream and some balsamic vinegar, add snipped herbs (I tend to use chives or parsley but guess tarragon would be okay). I sometimes have this for breakfast on HM wholemeal toast.

The online butcher Donald Russell sells venison along with other meats but unless stuffs on offer its not really cheap.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24