MSE News: Ryanair U-turn: it will care for stranded passengers

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The airline says it will offer food and accomodation to those hit by delays after its boss said otherwise yesterday ..."

Comments

• CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Interesting to see how many people who are normally Brussels-bashers agree that Ryanair were 100% in the wrong by trying to flout a very clearly specified EU Regulation. :)
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Publicity Stunt.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • williham
    williham Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    richardw wrote: »
    Publicity Stunt.
    Not a very good one.
    "we'll do what we have to do by law that other airlines are already doing."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 22 April 2010 at 12:27PM
    Their smart lawyers have probably advised them to pay up or face a battle in court, Ryanair most likely would lose, costing them even more money in court expenses and lawyer fees. Mr O'Leary is certainly not stupid and knows when to throw in the towel.
  • Actually, I sort of agree with Ryanair here.

It's not their fault that the whole of European airspace was shut down.

If they stand to make £9.99 from you for booking a flight, why should they then be required to pay out £200 for accommodation and meals through no fault of their own? Especially, as they say, when other forms of transport are not required to do the same?

All that will happen is your ticket price goes up to provide for future events where they're required to pay out.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Actually, I sort of agree with Ryanair here.

It's not their fault that the whole of European airspace was shut down.

If they stand to make £9.99 from you for booking a flight, why should they then be required to pay out £200 for accommodation and meals through no fault of their own? Especially, as they say, when other forms of transport are not required to do the same?

All that will happen is your ticket price goes up to provide for future events where they're required to pay out.
    Anything like that's a gamble though, isn't it? That's like saying why should you pay £20 travel insurance then expect the insurers to pay out £50K in medical bills if something goes wrong.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm surprised they tried it on. With the law so clearly against them (regardless of whether the law is right or wrong) they would have been flooded with Small Claims Court actions they had no hope of winning.
  • arb_3
    arb_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Ok, not quite Ryanair will pay out.

They will only pay out if you selected the option to re-route on the next available flight to your final destination.

If you took the refund then you (rightly) get nothing. It is your responsibility. But if you rebooked on another flight that was not the next flight Ryanair won't take the claim. So what was the procedure to book onto the next available flight?

As for the rights and wrongs of this - I personally think that the regulations are too strict. It wasn't what they were meant for - they were meant to stop airlines just cancelling flights at the last minute because they needed the plane for something else (or some other reason), thus leaving the passenger out in the cold. But, these are the regulations - whether they are right or not.

Ryanair continually point this out about what they are obliged to do, as well as showing their own charges/polices (and make you say yes to having agreed to them when you book or check in).
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    If you are going to fly Ryanair, you need to have your wits about you. Frankly I am happy to get a flight for a fiver and do not expect them to accomodate or feed me for that as well.
  • They're trying to get compensation from the government for being over cautious... so we may end up 'paying for it' ourselves whether we were stranded or not.

Hopefully not.

Despite the U turn I've been put of flying with Ryan air
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family