Credit Reference Agencies - Who Really Uses Who? II

Options

Comments

• horngkai
    horngkai Posts: 572 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2011 at 2:52PM
    Options
    is M&S card provided by HSBC? If it is, does holding a HSBC account improved ones chance of getting a M&S card or not?
  • Atom
    Atom Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure they use Equifax and Experian !

Edit: just noticed you edited your post above..
    The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
  • paulmcerlean
    Options
    uniplan wrote: »
    OK. Utterly miffed now. I went to Ford and applied and got turned down point blank. They used Santander and then Barclays.

I heard there is a new law since Feb that means they have to tell you why they turned you down. I have to write to them to find out.

Anyone else had experience of the "why" reply and if it is useful or not?

Santander will have searched Experian and Barclays will have searched Equifax, so in effect, you will have one search on each. As to why you were turned down, you will need to check your files for missed payments, high amounts of used credit etc and use that to help you.

Both Santander and Barclays are prime lenders so will be looking for clean credit files.
  • horngkai
    horngkai Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    Atom wrote: »
    I'm sure they use Equifax and Experian !

Edit: just noticed you edited your post above..

I thought they would use both as well and noticed on the front page that it has already been listed. So thought I'll change my question :D
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 March 2011 at 9:03PM
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    It looks like going forward santander have struck up a deal with call credit for its credit card products:

http://www.callcredit.co.uk/press-office/news/2011/03/callcredit-signs-three-year-deal-with-santander-cards

It would seem that they are using CallCredit for existing customer data mining rather than initial credit worthiness analysis - i.e. the data feed on updates for existing customers about their other agreements, rather than the credit check when they apply.

It would appear they are taking advantage of the cheapest CRA for this; after all, this is Santander. To them, cost of delivering product ranks at the top of their priorities and customer experience at the bottom.

Having said that though Call Credit have more data on me than Experian and Equifax. However, in my case, that makes it a very good thing that no one (really) searches them :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • si0001
    si0001 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I was just turned down for a Smile Credit Card. I called them to ask why and they told me it was due to adverse credit info at my previous address. They then told me they searched both Experian and Equifax.

I didn't see any searches on either (possibly not updated yet) but I don't have adverse on my Experian file, only Equifax so it is probably true.
  • xTheBearx
    xTheBearx Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Next directory searched Equifax only when opening an account.
  • xTheBearx
    xTheBearx Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    izools wrote: »
    Just as I thought :) Hope it all goes through! :beer:
    Yeah mortgage has been offered, and move into my new place beginning of July.
  • mistrey
    mistrey Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but I can't work out if the first posts are regularly updated? Does anyone know who checks Experian ONLY for Loans? There is a mistaken entry that I am trying to sort out on my Equifax report so I can't use an agency that uses them. I have to get a car urgently, as my company car has to go back next month.

Thanks
    Wins 2009:Total : £2500 :j
    First they came for the crack users; but I said nothing. I was not a crack user. Then they came for the heroin users. But I said nothing - I was not a heroin user. Then they came for me. There was no one left to speak for me. (after Pastor Niemoller)
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HBOS use Experian only, in fact the whole of Lloyds Banking Group use Experian only.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback