Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Gaining an education at school age isn't a case of him just doing what he "wants" to do. When I was your son's age, had I somehow missed school to watch a football match I wouldn't have dared to return home lest my father knew.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Well I'm sure most people agree with you Alex, but I think it would have been counter productive to back out of what I agreed initially, it's not always the easy to get teens wanting to revise and do extra, he is already doing all extra revision classes during lunch and after school (and will be during the holidays too).

I think teens have far too much pressure put on them and they put it upon themselves. Let him have the downtime, it's so important to have passions and of course to be able to express himself. I know I go on about this a lot but I'm my opinion (emotionally) expressing oneself positively is far more important in life than the difference between getting a or b. Education is far more than just schooling, people miss that nowadays.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh dear!

Alex he has not missed any school, I am not bonkers :D not one of my 3 has ever had a day off ever for a holiday /day out (except for grans funeral!) he has missed 2x private maths tutor lessons, outside of school taught be a local lady. At the time she did say she could probably fit him into other sessions, but couldn't.

He would have gone to maths if I had insisted, but I would have had a very upset boy who has been going out of his way to work hard.

Thanks occ, it's all changed so much even since dd was at school three years ago, it's ever increasing pressure.

Ps Alex, if it was a Spurs match I may have agreed with you :p
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NG: Prep during my senior school years finished at 9pm, so I regarded your son's Maths tuition as "school". ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Re. Spurs! :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    Options
    One back at school, one at home in bed. Going in slightly late to miss the rush hour and then coming home early to look after my 15 year old baby :D

Payday whoop whoop :j

I have cleared most of the overdraft which paid for the car, next month will not be full op either as I want to clear the rest and pay for all the cruise expenses on top of the actual price, tips, car park, spent money, petrol etc.

I have made an op today, every single penny not allocated for bills /spending etc. until next payday is £356, so that's what I have op'd :D

New mortgage balance just under the £127 k figure now at £126,896
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    Options
    Yey to the 126s!
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would probably have done the same NG with the tutor - although if he is getting the refund from the coach fare (is that the same DS?) then I may have asked for that towards the tutoring sessions ;)

There seems to be a lot more pressure on teens than when I was at school - and I think if you had insisted that he attend a tutoring session instead of a football match that you could potentially have lost cooperation and goodwill from your son. Keeping them positive and motivated about study isn't always easy xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi greent, yes its the same ds, ds 2 doesn't like football :) you are right about keeping up cooporation, we have been pretty lucky so far.

I have seen many parents really pile on the pressure about revision, subject choices etc. Often wanting their kids to do a similar thing as they do, at some point they will have to make their own decisions, if they are railroaded against their will into it won't they rebel later?

Of course if they are lazy bums on the Xbox all day then it's different and they need sorting out :rotfl::rotfl:t
  • newgirly
    Options
    We went to "clubbercise" last night (best friend not dh and I !) it was brilliant, if a little sqashed as they were in a school drama room instead of the big hall due to mocks. It's exercise and dancing to 90's dance /rave music in the dark with glow wands :dance: I came home , showered and went straight to bed I was so tired :D

Diet not going well, even when I am doing well it's not really making a difference on the scales. I have a tub of slim fast from a few months ago so am debating whether to start that, it's not the way I wanted to diet though but I am really struggling. The whole thing is just hard sometimes when you are busy and tired.

Personal spends payday , it's recently gone up from £30 to £100 pm since dh is getting more pay. This is a good thing as it pays for as many excercised classes we want do during the week. (Although maximum so far has only been two ;))

Cc up to monthly spend limit a few days ago and can't be used until 1st March, so no spending until then.
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning Newgirly,

Try only weighing yourself once a week rather than every day. It isn't realistic every day as your body fluctuates naturally anyway, you are more likely to see a difference that way too.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £500/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure