Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks al very kind :)

Hi ed, thanks for the support it is greatly appreciated at the moment. I've not really spoken to the kids as I've been quite mean with money on a day to day basis anyway lately ;) ts just Xmas I go crazy :D Not sure my efforts are appreciated though , they are all teenagers you know :rotfl:

Dh is another story, he is happy as long as I don't go on about how we can't afford anything , which is impossible when he keeps trying to plan stuff all the time. :o
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • choccielover
    choccielover Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »

I have just bought a one day travel insurance policy for me for one day for £1.37 through compare the market and have now got one years work of Bogof cinema
    Ticket codes for the next year. :T I may get another before the loophole is closed.
    :D

Thanks for this newgirly, I was wondering how to get this the cheapest way. OH has an annual pass so hopefully we can use this in conjunction and get "free" trips to the cinema.

Fingers crossed your paperwork clears quickly

Chocs
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »

Trying not to think of the big bad stuff that could go wrong and am focusing on penny pinching at home that I can sort of control :)

That's a very good way of dealing with everything.

I like the look of that Meerkat Movie thing. It'd suit us well, as we are more likely to go to the cinema mid week.

I'll have a closer look tomorrow
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    newgirly if you don't have a cinema subscription it is worth keeping an eye on Groupon etc. They often have 2 for 1 ticket offers (although you can't usually use them on the latest blockbusters, so I guess it depends on your taste in film). Could be ideal if you have an Odeon or Cineworld near by.

Are you a member of showfilmfirst?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi choccielover, thanks for popping in and I'm really glad its helped, its a tip i found somewhere on mse, its always good to pass stuff on :D

Hi gg did you get a policy in the end? Bit worried they will impose restrictions on which policies you can buy to use it !

Hi Pavlov's, I have joined film first but am too useless at checking emails regularly so they are often gone :o
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    I ordered some tops yesterday from sports direct and they arrived today 5 for £10 , good for me and dh for work and a few for ds1 , not sure whether to take the money from my every dwindling tiny budget or birthday money, I wonder which is worse :D

Finances getting a going over today.

- DDS phone contract cancelled and a cheaper one taken ....saving £3 pm
    - gym cancellation notice given (just when I need it most !) £33 pm saved
    - tax code allowance up

Scraping at the barrel I'm about £80 pm better off at an estimate :beer:

Can't see any more savings on the monthly direct debits to be made, it was fairly tight already. Next step to plan some cheap treats :)

Oh and lots of bottles of pink cava turned up tonight, they only had 11not the 12 I ordered , total cost incl delivery £30.25 which is £2.75 instead of £4.99 , just need to keep them safe until July :eek:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Went to the shops today with my mum , bought a harry potter top in primarni for a friends dd who turns 18 soon and wants HP stuff for just £1 , will get other stuff too, I'm not that tight yet :D

Mum drove as dh took the car keys by mistake which I was not happy about (would have been better to be stranded on a work day not day off :p)

Have fallen in love with a classic mini on eBay today, £2250 , 1989 great condition and my fav colour of racing green with a white roof. Trying to think of ways it could be mse to buy it , so far :

Its only a 998 engine so low tax \ins
    Petrol savings on the commute
    I would be so excited getting my mini at last that I wouldn't be able to eat - grocery savings
    No need to go out and shop,I can stay in and sit by the window admiring my mini all day

That's all I can think of so far :rotfl:

Oh and also got an mse badger badge , as I had a tip in the weekly email this week, famous at last :D
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh! Gotta love a mini.

If you need talking down...if it is an original the brakes are so poorly designed... I am right there with you though (historically a Moggie driver).
  • newgirly
    Options
    No don't talk me down, talk me into buying one :p

Oh, an ex moggie owner, that's the first car I ever wanted but my mum said no as it would "lower the tone" parked outside :rotfl: have been watching an old English white 2 door minor saloon on eBay but its a mini I really want :D

What colour \type was she al?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Coincidentally, OH has been looking at minis on ebay - this one in particular: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mini-cooper-1-3-1994-/181690131307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4d93636b although he says it's overpriced. His first car was a mini - a 1965 Austin 7 version with external door hinges and handpainted in burgundy matt paint :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure