Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oops been busy the last few days! Ds1 is poorly with a bug, and my parents are both Ill too, so not sure what will happen with my family xmas dinner Sunday. Luckily I took the lazy option and bought frozen desserts, Turkey crown and yorkshires. So not as much wastage as there might be :) fingers crossed we don't all go down with it before we go away next weekend.

I've had a lazy day keeping ds company on the sofa watching TV, and have taken the chance to review our sky package, it was due to go up to £44.50 pm but I've cancelled movies and got it down to £15 pm for the next year. I did look at the freesat and recordable boxes , plus now tv however it's not possible to record with now TV and a box together. With so many of us watching different things at all hours it is well worth the Money.

Still need to fill out my 2015 diary with all the banking details , acct info etc. and each monthly lists of outgoings (still working things out on paper with a calculator :D) I will start using the online spending app as well as of next year.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »

I've had a lazy day keeping ds company on the sofa watching TV, and have taken the chance to review our sky package, it was due to go up to £44.50 pm but I've cancelled movies and got it down to £15 pm for the next year.

Still need to fill out my 2015 diary with all the banking details , acct info etc. and each monthly lists of outgoings (still working things out on paper with a calculator :D) I will start using the online spending app as well as of next year.

That is a good deal for 8ky, I can't get our cheapest option below £28, did you get that through haggling? It's the record option that stops me completely cancelling.

I'm on a mission to organise 2015 diary too (once I have found it!) am going to be really organised and frugal in 2015!

Hope everyone is feeling better soon Newgirly and re: butlins trip you will still make memories :)
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi cath, I went through to cancellations at Sky and had a long chat as the woman on the phone kept stressing what I would lose. I said we didn't watch all the channels now and I can get now TV with sky one etc. and movies on a pay per month basis for £9.99 amd buy a cheap recordable box for under £100. (The reason I'm not actually doing this is you can use the box and now TV together, so not as flexible especially when there are five of us watching at different times.:D)

Well worth ringing though, and she did offer a higher price To start with , so stick to your guns. Also they use phases like " so it's that you can't afford it" which can be a bit irritating, so I just said why would I pay more than I need to :p

Xmas dinner is cancelled tomorrow, ds2 still ill and my parents under the weather so I will do it after xmas , thank goodness I was lazy enough to buy lots of it frozen :rotfl:

Dh at work today, so I'm going to pack for next weekend.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    That's interesting about the Sky cancellations

We ditched the Sky Movies about a month ago, haven't missed it at all.

We've taken a long hard look at what we watch, and apart from Sky Sports ( which we've enjoyed having, but, as we are starting a new phase in our life, feel it's time to say goodbye) everything else we want is on free to air TV

We'll get a Freeview box, which can also record.

We do like films, but will be happy enough to wait until they come on to freeview, buy a DVD from time to time or have an outing to the cinema.

Mr Goldie will be the one to call them, as it's in his name. I'll have to jot down a few phrases for him to use, to emphasise that we don't want it any more, rather than harping on about the financial side of it.

It'll be interesting to see how far they'll go to try and keep us..... but we only want free view now

After Christmas we'll make the call - we are just having one last Christmas with Sky so that Mr Goldie can watch the darts!

Sorry to hear everyone's not very well. At least you'll have something nice to look forward to after Christmas
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi goldiegirl, hope you are well :) i cancelled my movies yesterday but it won't actually go off until January 12th apparently so it maybe worth doing it before xmas if you are just keeping it over the festive period.
  • newgirly
    edited 14 December 2014 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Sunday to do list:

Roast potatoes and parsnips and freeze.....done :)
    Do all washing and ironing .....:)
    Pack all kids clothes for next weekend.....:)
    Ditto drinks ,snacks and medicines......:)
    Check bank accounts
    Clean whole house :eek:.......:)
    Meal plan for the week as I'm out and about
    Wrap last couple of presents
    Write xmas cards
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Hi goldiegirl, hope you are well :) i cancelled my movies yesterday but it won't actually go off until January 12th apparently so it maybe worth doing it before xmas if you are just keeping it over the festive period.

Hello, I'm fine thanks
    :)

What with being away for Christmas, we are intending to record quite a few things, so I think we'll cancel shortly after we return, then that gives us a month to catch up on the viewing!:rotfl:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • newgirly
    Options
    It's Michael buble day today :j we are off soon to have dinner first , I'm paying as mum bought the tickets (priced at an undisclosed price over £500 :eek:) pizza express xmas menu I think £19.99 for three course plus prosecco :D

I have been naughty and bought some new next jeans as all of my jeans are too tight and worn out , they are all the £7 primarni ones. So I treated myself to some very nice fitting smartish ones but they were a crazy £45! They will last and now I can wear lots more tops that are shorter I've not worn in a while. Plus most importantly of all I wanted to look good for Michael :p
  • newgirly
    Options
    A very busy few days, Michael buble was great although I did spend a lot on dinner. Last night I took dd to see the live performance of Alice in wonderland by the royal opera house which was beamed to the local cinema. It was really good plus she saw some of the sets while she worked at the opera house last year, so nice to see the end result :D

Last day of work today until after xmas :j I've been saving holiday all year to have a couple of weeks off and am really looking forward to it. Still a few bits to do before xmas and a lunch out with friends tomorrow but other than that all going ok except for being very tired!

The finances have taken a beating in the last week, I may have overspent and have to take a little out of savings but I want to start 2015 with a clean slate. Still not done any updates as I've have been too busy, also am way behind reading peoples diaries, I need a few days to catch up now, hope everyone is well :D
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a tricky time of year to stick to budget and a fresh start of 2015 is just around the corner. Enjoy your time off, very well deserved after a busy year for you.
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback