Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks cath, I hope you have a lovely Christmas :D

Crazily busy this week, just have the rest of packing to do before tomorrow and a house tidy.

Things are not going great at work and although we are busy we need to cut costs and get more money in, there are no xmas bonuses this year and it looks very likely we will have to make pay cuts next year. dh has not said anything yet as he didn't want to spoil xmas :( things need to improve though if we are to keep going.

On a brighter note, I swapped xmas presents with my best friend today and also gave her some baby outfits I bought in the sale for her bump who is due in a few weeks, I am so excited for them and can't wait for cuddles.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Argh, we are off on holiday today and I am in bed avoiding getting up as there is so much still to do, they are all home lunchtime (except dd who is off all day).

I am still itching to make plans for next year but have not had time, I really love and look forward to xmas , but look forward to the new year financial plans and challenges just as much now :D

January is a very expensive month in 2015 four birthdays and a new baby (including best friends 40th) so lots to buy, I might try and do a cheap but healthy month food wise.:D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a great holiday.

Then you can enjoy all the financial planning when you get home!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • newgirly
    Options
    Using my free fifteen mins of wifi today :) it's been a weekend of ups and downs at butlins, we did get a free upgrade to a gold apartment which was great, but on the downside ds1really didn't want to come! He wouldn't get out of bed for breakfast yesterday but has perked up a lot today. So this will probably be our last time of doing this, they are all a bit too old now really.

The food is ok, and much easier than cooking and quite good value. I have not spen t much but dh seems to have an unlimited amount of £1 coins he keeps feeding into the arcade machines , not very mse :rotfl:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Back home and tired :) I've got most of the washing and ironing done, just the house to clean as dh has asked everyone to come to ours for drinks before the work xmas do tomorrow night.

I've been doing the accounts and have done a list for January of out of the ordinary expenses that need paying for , so I can set a tight food budget to help.

Best friends 40th
    Best friend baby due
    Uncle's birthday
    Best friends eldest's birthday
    Friends 40th plus fancy dress party
    New school shoes/trousers/shirts for the boys

I think it may have to be a no spend month to cover that lot :rotfl: hopefully feb will be a cheap month!

We're still putting the mortgage on hold until August and clearing all the 0% ccs now total balance as of today is £11,724, it going to be a tough year I think, especially if we both end up having a pay cut.

I've set a budget of £500 for dds 18th in total for a party and presents, not sure if this is a lot or not really :o I suppose it depends on circumstances and I want to treat her as she is a little star :D so a frugal year except for that and whatever dh wants to spend on me for my 40th :beer:

I've Also chopped the holiday budget for centerparcs in summer, after the lack lustre butlins weekend, I have pursuaded dh that a midweek centreparcs break instead of a week is plenty. It will save us close to £1000 with spending money :eek: I would feel bad but the kids really don't mind :cool:

Not sure what other plans to make yet, apart from the usual " get back to basics" plans I make every year.

I'm defiantly going back to the gym as of next week as I'm still paying for it unfortunately. Food wise I might start the veg box delivery again for a while and use the butcher round he corner where I shamefully hardly ever go!

So for 2015 :

Batch cooking for me and dh once a week

Prepping kids dinners every day before work and doing healthy meals

Keeping a list of toiletries/cleaning/stationary/batteries etc. stuff from £1land we need so we never run out of things and have to buy dearer in local shops.

Debate making washing gloop again

Do surveys - not for the money , but the perspective as it put me off being wasteful when I've spent an age earning The flipping money :rotfl:

More home baking

Less eating out

Do more stuff on my bucket list

Make dd a quilt for her birthday (never done and can't sew!)

Have a super cheap xmas 2015 with lots of thoughtful presents and a few homemade for those who would like them.

Do a monthly plan for financial stuff and everything else

Keep an online spending diary

That's it for now :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    We had a good night at the work do, I think everyone enjoyed it :)

Dd has gone out with friends tonight so the early night I had planned is off, I even have my reindeer sheets on ready :rudolf:

I've done a little sale shopping already online, and bought two links charms for dd and my friend's birthdays. They were two I have been watching price wise for a while and luckily they were reduced by £15 each to £30 with free delivery so not cheap but a good price.

Also been trying to get some ideas for some homemade presents that would not too lame :rotfl: I have fabric fat quarters to make a quilt, and facilities at work to print in high quality colour, I just need a bit of inspiration and some free time.

Anyway, nearly time to be Santa and start delivering !

Best wishes to everyone this xmas eve :xmastree:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good xmas, we did although there were too many presents! I would really love to scale it down a bit next time.

I have done a bit of online shopping again and bought lots of jewellery in the h samuel sale for xmas next year, including diamond necklaces £129 reduced to £24.99 :T so a big spend but hopefully very helpful for next year.

Also went to Mr t for milk on the way back from the Inlaws last night and saw some glittery bubble bath in glass bottles for £2.50 each, so bought 7 :o they are usually about £12 in m and s.

I've been given some chocolate baileys by my brother but have given up alcohol as of today which is a terrible waste :) , I thought I'd start taking the tablets the doctor prescribed for stress as my throat is still tight all the time, hopefully it will help as its driving me crazy and I've been to the doctors three times now.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's a bargain necklace. I would love to plan ahead but am hopeless at it. Hope the tablets help with your throat problem too.
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Can I suggest you tell us where you've stored them :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • newgirly
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Start balances :

£145,928.81 mortgage balance
    £9025.00 mnba 0%cc deal ends july 2015
    £5025.00 Santander 0% cc ends may2013
    £13,195.26 loft loan 6.4%

£173,174.07 total

This time last year.

Ps will do GG!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback