MSE News: Ryanair hikes baggage charges and plans toilet fee

Options

Comments

• cactusdust
    cactusdust Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GREED GREED GREED. What a joke,
    It is all about keeping the shareholders happy and FARES will NOT go down.

Welcome to business. Welcome to ANY business.

You can't really get cheaper than Ryanairs promotional fares anyway..
  • plumber2009
    plumber2009 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    cactusdust wrote: »
    Welcome to business. Welcome to ANY business.

You can't really get cheaper than Ryanairs promotional fares anyway..

This maybe the case but for me its the principle of it more than anything.
    As regards to ryanairs fare prices. By the time you pay all the extra charges, fees and not to mention the price of food and drink you will end up paying just as much as any other budget airline. Except you are not being scamed into paying extra on top all the time.

I also hate ryanair customer service and i think it stinks. The way they treat their customers is appauling.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As regards to ryanairs fare prices. By the time you pay all the extra charges, fees and not to mention the price of food and drink you will end up paying just as much as any other budget airline. Except you are not being scamed into paying extra on top all the time.
    I agree, but for some people their fares can be excellent value, if you play the game correctly.

My granddad who lives in Spain recently bought a flight for €1.00. He paid with a Visa Electron card (at the time), only took hand luggage, checked in online and bought food on the ground. The total cost was just €2.00 for a return flight from Spain to Stansted.

Of course, if he didn't "play the game", he could have paid >€100 for the same flights with Ryanair; in that case it would have been cheaper to fly with someone else.
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This maybe the case but for me its the principle of it more than anything.

I also hate ryanair customer service and i think it stinks. The way they treat their customers is appauling.

But who is being "scammed"?

You want to take a bag? You pay for it.
    You want priority boarding? You pay for it.
    Who is forcing you to eat or drink? It's a free market, Ryanair can charge what they like for a KitKat.

That's not a scam. All they are doing is unbundling the optional components of travel.

I've not seen any other airline offer to fly me from Leeds to Dublin for £1 (and that is all that it cost me - no bag fees, no food or drink, no credit card fees, just the £1 fare). Until somebody else can do that, they're OK by me.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    Options
    it is the sheer contempt that man has for his "customers " that sticks in the throat . i could have saved £10 on a flight to Ireland last year with Ryan Air , instead i actually had a huge smile on my face when i paid the extra to Aer Lingus . worth every penny and the flight and service were excellent too .

i am a consumer and i do have a choice and my choice is ANYONE but Ryan Air .
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "That's not a scam. All they are doing is unbundling the optional components of travel."

That's just the point though isn't it... Is paying for the ticket optional? Is going to the toilet optional?

The first one clearly isn't, and I wasn't that bothered when it was electron cards they didn't charge for because I honestly believe they have low charges for business (just what I'd heard). But they changed that for no other reason than to give people another hoop to jump through.

The second one, in the case or certain individuals (medical conditions etc) isn't. Plus what happens if a customer 'chooses' not to pay the fee and pees on the seat of the floor? Do they get a bill for cleaning? Shouldn't really if its an optional charge.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2010 at 1:48PM
    Options
    The first one clearly isn't, and I wasn't that bothered when it was electron cards they didn't charge for because I honestly believe they have low charges for business (just what I'd heard). But they changed that for no other reason than to give people another hoop to jump through.

If anything, the new system makes the charge easier to avoid. I can get a new pre-paid Mastercard number in less than quarter of an hour if I wanted to, compared with the hassle of applying for a specific type of bank account at the Halifax.
    The second one, in the case or certain individuals (medical conditions etc) isn't. Plus what happens if a customer 'chooses' not to pay the fee and pees on the seat of the floor? Do they get a bill for cleaning? Shouldn't really if its an optional charge.
    So let's say you go to a friend's house and his toilet is broken - are you just going to !!!! on his living room carpet? You've got no more right to !!!! in your seat than Ryanair have to drop fecal matter into your face from the overhead lockers.

What you are forgetting here is that the plane is Ryanair's property. They have bought it and they can do whatever the hell they like with it. They can sell whatever they want on it and introduce or remove new services from it as they please.

If you don't like it, you're more than free to take your money elsewhere but that doesn't, by any stretch, mean that it is a "scam", or at least, certainly no more of a scam than price fixing is.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can get a new pre-paid Mastercard number in less than quarter of an hour.

Please detail the method in easy steps with links how to do this.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Please detail the method in easy steps with links how to do this.

http://www.mywirecard.com/en/Home.html
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 April 2010 at 11:35PM
    Options
    Fortunately Ryanair cannot 'do whatever the hell they like with' its planes. Heavens knows what 'I can lose two hulls' O'Leary would get up to if he were not constrained by the aviation regulators. Ryanair will not be allowed to put in more than 189 seats or have only one toilet and the whole thing is the usual any publicity is good publicity claptrap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure