Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Will that be £2.00 to join the "Mile High Club" then? :rotfl:
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2010 at 12:40PM
    lisyloo wrote: »
    But it all free puiblicity isn't it?

I suspect that's actually the case behind the toilet idea. There is no such thing as bad publicity and O'Leary knows it.

His justification? The gutter press fall over themselves to write "Ryanair" in their rags the following morning. I'm guessing Ryanair bookings saw another increase yesterday when the announcement was made.

O'Leary knows full well that he won't carry out half of the threats he makes (remember "bagels and blowjobs in business class", "fat taxes", etc?). The recent story about standing on flights wasn't even his idea - it came from a Chinese airline. O'Leary only ran with it (and only heard of it) when a journalist from the Telegraph rang the Ryanair press office and asked "would you consider something similar".

He's a publicist and quite frankly, he must be laughing his !!!! off at every newspaper hack and blogger hanging onto his every word.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    It's obvious this is a publicity stunt.

You actually get a bit more room in the toilet than in a normal seat, so it will be worth paying the quid and sitting in there for the whole trip. Peace and quiet, and extra room for a quid. Bargain.

Imagine the stampede as soon as the seatbelt light goes off.
  • plumber2009
    plumber2009 Posts: 304 Forumite
    GREED GREED GREED. What a joke, Talk about penny pinching.

Paying £1 to use the loo is the final straw for me. NEVER will i use ryanair again.
    It is all about keeping the shareholders happy and FARES will NOT go down. They make enough money from the food and drink sales, bagage hold and being squashed in like sardines. Now they want to charge £1 to use the loo and remove all other loos to add 6 more seats. PFFT forget it.

What annoyes me the most is that people allow these companies to get away with it. Why not pay a little more money and use a respectable airline.
  • plumber2009
    plumber2009 Posts: 304 Forumite
    A.Jones wrote: »
    It's obvious this is a publicity stunt.

You actually get a bit more room in the toilet than in a normal seat, so it will be worth paying the quid and sitting in there for the whole trip. Peace and quiet, and extra room for a quid. Bargain.

Imagine the stampede as soon as the seatbelt light goes off.

SERIOUSLY
    this could end up being a health & safety issue. If violence was to kick off on an aircraft once implemented, This could cause a number of safety issues and put passangers at risk.
  • GREED GREED GREED. What a joke, Talk about penny pinching.

Paying £1 to use the loo is the final straw for me. NEVER will i use ryanair again.
    It is all about keeping the shareholders happy and FARES will NOT go down. They make enough money from the food and drink sales, bagage hold and being squashed in like sardines. Now they want to charge £1 to use the loo and remove all other loos to add 6 more seats. PFFT forget it.

What annoyes me the most is that people allow these companies to get away with it. Why not pay a little more money and use a respectable airline.

So on one hand you're angry that Ryanair are looking for ways to increase concessionary spending and instead, encouraging people to use more expensive (and therefore by your logic, "greedier") airlines which make increased charges less avoidable?

Anyone else failing to see the logic in that one?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • purt
    purt Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lisyloo wrote: »
    You are of course correct and for a long flight one toilet for that many people just doesn't stack up.
    However I have travelled on the type of route they are talking about (London->Dublin) a few times, and to be honest the toilets are only used by a handful of people on that length of flight.
    It's all jsut a publicity stunt on the basis that all publicity is good.

I'd say it's a publicity stunt.

There's one solution in all of this. As passengers, we aren't obliged to use Ryanair.
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "It costs to use the toilet at rail stations across the country - where is the critical blog post about Network Rail?"

From memory I can think of around ten businesses with toilets a five minute walk from my station, and that's just the pubs. On a plane you don't have this option. The only reason they can consider such a charges is, like the others, if it is seen as optional. So what happens if a passenger 'chooses' not to pay the optional charge and pees on the seat of the carpert?

Ordinarily I'd expect to get the clean up bill, but this muddies the waters somewhat.

I have no problem with companies charging some kind of admin fee, but the trouble is admin fees are simply another stream of revnue that. If it is an admint fee they should be compelled by law to ensure it is just that.

I have a similar argument with Virgin Media who charge £5/month if you don't pay by DD. They insist the charge is to cover the costs (and is less than thier costs) but won't give any info to substantiate this. I also object to fees online companies charge for paying by card - how else can you pay them?

Don't they save vast sums by being online and not having offices?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    I wonder if O'Leary & his mates have thought of the downside to the toilet charge ???
    Maybe lots of people will stop buying the overpriced cans of lager & soft drinks on his planes......then spending half the flight in the toilet.
    :D:D
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    My OH is going to Italy over the summer but has taken O'leary's advice - because we don't like it, we've gone elswhere. :T
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure