Weezl and friends Phase 2 -giving it a whirl for Shirl! Testing meal plan for a month

Options

Comments

• r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Updated recipe now in breadmaker...

* 250ml warm water
    * 15g Allinson yeast (activated in approx 50ml of the warm water)
    * teaspoon sugar (in with the yeast)
    * 375g strong bread flour
    * teaspoon salt (in with the flour)
    * tablespoon veg (rapeseed) oil

Set to medium crust on "rapid" (mine is 1hr 50mins) setting.

Put yeast in breadmaker with the sugar and a little warm water. Stir. Don't switch breadmaker on. Lid down until froth on top of yeast mixture. Add the rest of the warm water, flour, salt. Start the programme. If mixture is too wet, add a little more flour. If mixture is too dry, add a little more water. Once you're happy with the dough, close the lid and LEAVE IT to complete the programme.

I'll let you know the results in about 2 hours :)

OH !!!!!! :mad: My daughter (who is 21 with an IQ the same as her age, it seems!!!) slammed the breadmaker back against the wall to make room for HER dinner preps, just as the bread started baking...this means my bread - which had risen beautifully - is now concave!! It looks like a moon crater!!!

:mad:

I'll taste it anyway, and try a new loaf tomorrow.

*sighs*
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Lesley_Gaye Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2010 at 5:03PM
    Options
    ooh, a database, how exciting. I have been thinking about that too recently as I think that the spreadsheet is ok for constructing a month at a time, but unwieldy for working out one-offs, more meals at the price point etc.

I am doing that with it, but a database is def the way to go.

I have had a look at access reviews, and they all say it is very un-intuitive to use, so it would take a while for me to get my head round it and don't know if I could dedicate that much time, so was pondering how to progress. I have a couple of other things I would like to be able to put onto a databse. Plus I would have to buy it before I could try it

if I can help with that at all, I would love to. Prob a 1 person thing at a time thing tho

BTW - my younger daughter was visiting today and I showed her the site and she was taken up with how cheap everything was. Showed my DGD13, who loves to cook, how to make a chicken and sweetcorn pie (the chicken and onion pie with added sweetcorn and baked in the oven rather than steamed) using the oil pastry, and they carried it off home to have for dinner

would it be of use to Shirley to say that the steamed puddings can be made in a pie dish and cooked in the oven?
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    Options
    weezl, perfect timing. My chickpeas just finished in the SC for making hummus. Shall i tackle the challenge tomorrow? Should be fun, i lurrrrrve hummus!
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Options
    aless02 wrote: »
    weezl, perfect timing. My chickpeas just finished in the SC for making hummus. Shall i tackle the challenge tomorrow? Should be fun, i lurrrrrve hummus!

from the ingredient list it sounds like there will be some interesting combinations coming out, look forward to it
  • Lesley_Gaye
    edited 1 June 2010 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Weezl, do you still want info on iron?

have found some interesting stuff on the veg soc site here

most particularly, that iron comes in haem forms, found in animal tissues, and non-haem in plant foods, and that while the plant food iron is only utilised at 1-10% as against 10-20% from animal foods.....

''Despite iron from plant foods being less readily absorbed research has shown that vegetarians are no more likely to suffer from iron deficiency than non-vegetarians. Draper & Wheeler (1989) have stated there is no indication of increased prevalence of iron deficiency amongst vegetarians. Anderson (1981) found the iron status of long-term vegetarian women to be adequate, despite a high intake of fibre and phytate. ''

girls / women 11-49 years need 14.8mg pd
    boys 11-18 years need 11.3mg pd
    men 19+ need 8.7mg pd

so the max needed for 4 people is 52.2mg pd, or 1618mg pcm

Edit - Wow! the food standards agency website says that 120g baked beans provides 1.7mg and an egg provides 50mg. There are 5 tins (2100g) of baked beans and 30 eggs in planner one, so these 2 items alone provide 1529mg of the required 1618mg, so the plan provides much more than enough iron for Shirley, Bob and the kids
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    most particularly, that iron comes in haem forms, found in animal tissues, and non-haem in plant foods, and that while the plant food iron is only utilised at 1-10% as against 10-20% from animal foods.....

weezl senses the onset of the hitherto unpredicted 'irongate'

Edit - Wow! the food standards agency website says that 120g baked beans provides 1.7mg and an egg provides 50mg. There are 5 tins (2100g) of baked beans and 30 eggs in planner one, so these 2 items alone provide 1529mg of the required 1618mg, so the plan provides much more than enough iron for Shirley, Bob and the kids

but lovely intuitive lesley nips it in the bud before it even develops;)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Dam your research Lesley, I was just gearing up for irongate too:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::p
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • weezl74
    Options
    from the ingredient list it sounds like there will be some interesting combinations coming out, look forward to it

I agree :)

and with different flavours it will hopefully feel like more variety for kitty et al :D

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • weezl74
    Options
    arty you are very naughty

• weezl74
    Options
    for the first time since fergus was a 19 day old foetus I am having a little wine. So I may not be quite myself :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport