🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Weezl and friends Phase 2 -giving it a whirl for Shirl! Testing meal plan for a month

Options

Comments

• frugalmumof4
    frugalmumof4 Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2010 at 11:12AM
    Options
    I have it all simmering away! i have messed up already though as i didnt have red lentils so im using green, but cooking them seperately, which isnt very economical!as they take long to cook. I have put in 700mls of liquid so far, with the fried onion, 1sp of marmite, and 1 tsp of garam masala. Only thing im a little apprenhensive about is the lack of vegetable stock? I usually find soup rather bland without it. I havent used marmite as a stock before, so maybe i should be using more? if anyone can advise, I can pop extra in now!
    Im doing ok thanks! better than i have been over the last few weeks anyway, i can face cooking at last!
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    I have it all simmering away! i have messed up already though as i didnt have red lentils so im using green, but cooking them seperately, which isnt very economical!as they take long to cook. I have put in 700mls of liquid so far, with the fried onion, 1sp of marmite, and 1 tsp of garam masala. Only thing im a little apprenhensive about is the lack of vegetable stock? I usually find soup rather bland without it. I havent used marmite as a stock before, so maybe i should be using more? if anyone can advise, I can pop extra in now!
    Im doing ok thanks! better than i have been over the last few weeks anyway, i can face cooking at last!

LOL! I thought that must mean you weren't too exhausted/queasy!

Marmite-wise, maybe get to where it's all pretty near done and taste before plopping an extra teaspoon of marmite in if it's a bit bland? It'll dissolve well through the soup even if you add it last thing I reckon :)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • frugalmumof4
    frugalmumof4 Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2010 at 11:45AM
    Options
    Ok, I should have stayed out of the kitchen!
    everything was cooked, time to pout it into the blender, im happily pouring away, then realise the tap is open to the blender! out comes half the stock all over the floor.
    Anyway, blend it all up with extra water, pour it in pan, taste it, too bland, stir in an extra tsp of marmite, but its still too bland! now this could be because i have lost half the tasty stock over the floor!
    Maybe someone can try it all over again, 1 litre of water, 2 tsp of marmite, 1 tsp garam masala, onion and the peas, and see what they think.
    I enjoyed the pea soup that was on the recipe list which i think was only stock and peas! is that not an option?

I NOW HAVE YUMMY SOUP, SORRY IM A STOCKOHOLIC, ONE VEGETABLE STOCK CUBE CRUMBLED INTO THE ABOVE RECIPE WAS ALL IT NEEDED TO CONVERT ME, LOOKING FORWARD TO LUNCH NOW!
  • weezl74
    Options
    oh you poor love :(

can you redeem the blandness with more marmite and some garlic? x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    Okay, I have just put a little linky on our electronic unofficial pinboard on the intranet at work, see if we get any traffic!

How are the stats looking now? Can you tell which recipes have been looked at most for example.
    How are you feeling in yourself Weezl old chap?
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • weezl74
    Options
    Okay, I have just put a little linky on our electronic unofficial pinboard on the intranet at work, see if we get any traffic!

How are the stats looking now? Can you tell which recipes have been looked at most for example.
    How are you feeling in yourself Weezl old chap?

the stats are always very encouraging :D

45000 page hits :)

I worked for almost a year ( as part of my normal contract) alongside another developer to publish a set of articles for the university I work for. The uni probably spent about 15k in staff time on the project, and was fairly happy with the 5000 page hits it yielded in a whole year!

Just an illustration to help people have some idea of why the numbers are particularly exciting :)

In myself, lovely sian, pretty good, although I recognise my usual sensitivity to criticism is heightened by the whole new baby shennanigans.

I very much enjoy the project though, because I think it's important to keep doing something giving, and keep stretching my brain, whilst being a mummy :)

how're you?

• r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    will happily include that for shirl, rainbow :) If succesful, would you mind trying 375g bread flour and 25g SR (so she gets exactly 4 loaves from her bag of flour)

It turned out fine:T so I'm going to make another with the same ingrediants but just less flour, I won't add SR flour unless it needs it as it mixes, and I will measure exactly how much water I use this time! :D

I'll report back later with results and recipe :)
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options

45000 page hits :)

...the numbers are particularly exciting :)

That is pretty darned brilliant :T:T:T
    Do we know how many people are looking at certain parts of the site? Or where the majority of traffic is from? e.g. how many from the facebook site?

In myself, lovely sian, pretty good, although I recognise my usual sensitivity to criticism is heightened by the whole new baby shennanigans.

I very much enjoy the project though, because I think it's important to keep doing something giving, and keep stretching my brain, whilst being a mummy :)

how're you?

I agree, don't want to become totally cheese rind brained eh? And I love it when people are asked what they do and they have to really think about it, "well, I am a wife and mother to two boys, and I run a web design business, and [have no idea what your main job is when you are not on maternity!], and I have, in the last few months created a massively successful online recipe site which aims to revolutionise cooking and eating in Britain. What about you?" he he.
    I am good thanks, all quiet on the Western front as it is half term and most of my colleagues are off. Lots of useful things to do though. I made the Calzone's yesterday and wrapped them in greaseproof and took them to the park for a picnic, they stayed quite warm in a tupperware. People were very impressed, though I think I may add a little more salt to the bechamel next time. Twas very tasty though, and would be an ideal vehicle to use up any left over pates etc, and any limp bits of veg that need finishing off (though I thought putting some sausage in would be nice, not particularly Kitty friendly!)

x
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    From the nutrition page of the new website:
    Our team are always looking at research evidence though, and you are very welcome to send us links to professional journals if you are aware of new research which we have not yet had a chance to look at

Brilliant last sentence! Particularly the part in bold :dance:
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • weezl74
    Options
    thanks sian and hippeeechiq :)

I think the bit about academic journals is important too, else people will send us links to people without any qualifications or research to back up their argument, which there is a lot of out there on the internet :(

hummus challenge :) (anyone willing?)

ok so kitty and her family have to eat a fair few meals which are essentially hummus on toast.

What I'd really like to do is make sure the flavours are as varied as possible, so I wonder if people can play a game called- take one lot of chickpeas (just buy a can of them and divide it into 3 having blitzed it with oil) then try and create 3 very dissimilar tasting spreads.

Available spices/seasonings: garlic, mustard, garam, salt, pepper, fresh ginger, dried oregano, fresh basil

other available things: peas, onion, balsamic vinegar

best of british :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family