PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style things that 'only you' do...

Options

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Love it! If DD has scuffed shoes, which she often does, I colour in the scuff with a marker pen if it is deep, before polishing it. Also I embarass her by getting iron on motifs to cover over the holes in her knees (scuffed shoes, holey knees - bit of a tomboy? RIGHT!) But 60p for a motif off the haberdashery lady on the market os cheaper than new trousers, amd maybe it will serve as a deterrent to her jumping of rooves, trees etc. Then maybe not.
    I think her school uniform looks cute wth a butterfly on the knee!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Rallya
    Rallya Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    We only ever buy cartons of UHT milk....about 36p for a litre in the supermarket. It lasts for ages and is much cheaper than buying fresh. When we have guests, this then gets put into a nice jug in the fridge....so they don't know, it's not "proper milk".

How long would an open carton of this milk last in the fridge? The reason I ask is I usually end up pouring out an almost full 1 pint carton of milk a week as I only tend to use a little bit for coffee etc. Is it ok to use on cereal etc?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, just never thought of using UHT milk before :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 126 :j

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...
  • sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Options
    We use only uht milk as well. An open carton will easily last 4 days in the fridge, we mostly use it for drinks but DD does have it on cereals and says it tastes fine.
    If you only use small amounts you could decanter some into a container and freeze half to save waste. I also use the uht for my yoghurt making, custard, rice puddings etc.I always have a stock in the cupboard and know I won't run out and have to go shopping.
    sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• Little_Miss_Road_Rage
    Options
    This thread has made me smile. I do some of the things but not all of them
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made me smile too and I do lots of them now as well.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Smashing wrote:
    My favourite thing to do with the sandwich bags my mum gave me was to blow them up and burst them just behind someone's head. :D

She switched to foil shortly afterwards.
    :cry:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Don't mention this to my DS, please..........
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    I earn money by using your tips to send to 'take a break' - I even take a photo of my toothpaste with a peg on to earn me an extra bit of dosh:D

Just kidding:p

But its a thought :rotfl:

I do a few of these but I'm obviously not as moneysaving or mental as you lot :D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    I too use the soap till its all gone I put the bits in old tights and tie it up, put it in the bath with the kids and it froths up lovely! Use bread bags for kids pack lunches then use them to poop a scoop the dog! (Note do not do this the OTHER way round!)
    :)
  • MimiF
    MimiF Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh I do loads of the above, but if you'd asked me I wouldn't have been able to think of a single thing. M&S do great plastic cutlery, free in baskets near their sandwiches. I pinch loads of the plastic spoons and send them with the kids in their lunch boxes instead of sending my cutlery which never makes it back!! I pinch the knives and forks for picnics, camping etc too.

I also put these in the dishwasher and they come up great.

Great Thread.

MimiF
    :beer:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Took ds out today for his 'mummy day', I'm managing a 'date' with each of my kids. WHilst waiting at the table - or so i thought- whilst i went to order the food, he got me a present, when I came back to see him with a mini mountain of sauce sachets he said 'I only got one of each!'
    He's 6 years old so by the time he's an adult he will leave us all in the shade:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts