PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    also id like to add im going to have a go at growing my own veg, i bought carrot seeds today, spring onions and normal onions, so will plant them tomorrow :) Must get some potato ones aswell, if i manage to grow them ok it will save me quite a bit! :j
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • butdoineedit?
    butdoineedit? Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    Options
    Think i have gone seriously over budget :mad::mad::mad:

Haven't updated my signature yet as am thinking of counting some of the total next month, seeing as it's all for my mum's visit, which strictly speaking doesn't start till May, still reckon i'll be over tho :eek:

did so well up until this, so reckon my new plan has to be not to invite anyone round at all so i can live on basics groceries & not overspend!!!! :rotfl:
    February NSD challenge 5/15
  • peskie_pixie
    Options
    Hi all, I'm declaring at £87.15 for April.

Gone a little bit over again this month, so hoping to rein it in in May.

Have started eating breakfast (i know, very naughty not to!) so have had to start buying more milk (i used to get away with out buying much as i drink black tea) but it has given me the chance to eat up all the old unopened boxes of cereals that were lurking in the cupboard.

Also it doesn't help that Mr A's special offers always seem to expire before a new GC month:mad:
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." Franklin Jones
  • kitschy
    kitschy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    Right, am declaring at £25.46, but it was a mid month start and the freezer was full! Have started meal planning and shopping list for next month, so hope to have a figure to aim for by the weekend. It will definately be more than £30, that's for sure!

It was my first month and I really am pleased with how much it's focused me to get the most for my money and not fritter it away on rubbish :D
  • 4kids4cats
    Options
    Hi. Well, this being my first month, I just added up all my receipts. I had estimated I spend £450 a month - that's groceries, most toiletries, cleaning stuff and cat food - that's for 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 2 kids (one with a very big appetite!) and the 4 furries. Well, my total spend was £566.32, so over by £116.32. Definitely got to try harder in May. I think my main failing is in popping in to my local Mr T too often. I get a lot of bargains, but I probably don't really need all of them, and I always buy more items than I intended. So, for May I am going to raise my budget to nearer what I've actually spent this month, but try very hard to reduce it over the next few months. Would really like to get it down to £400 by the end of the year, if not less. But for May, please could you put me down for £500? My month starts tomorrow. Thank you!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning guys,

i`ve just totted everything up and altered my siggy. My total to declare for April is £228.78 please MrsM

My weekly average is not looking too good atm, way above last years but hope fully once the garden is a bit more productive the food bill will plummet!

The downfalls this month were two days without water (it did come back on but whilst i was at work) so we had a takeaway one night which is where most of the overspend went, and having workmen in so extra things like teabags and milk sent the bill a lot higher.

Tomorrow is another month so another lovely clean slate :D

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • dreamingofmoney
    Options
    Hiya All
    Had a great month this month, felt i had much more control over budget, and feel more empowered. So would like to declare April at £270. That is £30 under budget, and considering i went £150 over last month i feel very proud.
    Ali
    Debt free date May 20. Now the Mortgage1 £53862.45/£ 0% starting daily interest £4.48/£
    Jan GC £400/£Out of the water Feb £400/£
  • Botany
    Botany Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    OK, I declare : £203.08 for April, which means I have £6.20 spare from my proposed £210 budget. I'm a happy bunny :j

As for MAY I would like to do the challenge with a bigger budget as it works out as a fuller month for me. So anyway, I'm proposing:

£270 for the May Challenge

Thanks everybody and have a lovely day and new month :T:T:T

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well my partner has shopped a few times since my last post and we blew the budget :o. We came in at £125.19 which is £17.19 over our £108 budget :mad:. My fiance doesn't budget very well and buys food at work or after work without really thinking about it!
    I guess that isn't too bad considering it was our first month in our new place and having to stock up on some foods.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,284 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Please put me down for £273 for my grand total for April. Wow a whole £7 under budget! :j Please put me down for £280 again for May. Many thanks Mrs M!:)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport