April 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 March 2010 at 3:29PM in Old Style MoneySaving
897 replies 59.4K views

Replies

• KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, first spend of April 2010. £12.15 on essentials such as tissues, mushrooms, noodles etc, and a RTC Easter Egg with a mug. :) I'll update my signature accordingly. Here's hoping for a few more NSDs for me!

KB xx

• ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Thought I'd manage a NSD yesterday, with all shops being shut, but my parents' corner shop was open so I bought some stuff for lunch and some sliced beef for Dh's sarnies as I haven't got a gammon yet for next week. So another £5 spend...

Moniker I have a 'conservatory' utility room too! Or was it a 'sun room'? Also have a 'conservatory' greenhouse as there's no door to it from the house, was great for growing tomatoes in!
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 posts
    A NSD here due to me feeling lousy with possible tonsillitis. Just pottering about and feeling pathetic! :(
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I hope you have had a good Easter break.

Just popping in to update my signature with a couple of NSDs - not capable yesterday and so grey and cold today I'm certainly not going out!

Keep up the good work everyone,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Welsh_PoppyWelsh_Poppy Forumite
    979 posts
    We got six new hens today, they should start laying in the next few weeks which means lots more eggs in my meal plans :T:j. I have struggled while we have been down to 2 hens and I mind paying £1.50 for 6 eggs to bake with. The hens themself cost £36 but I will not include them in my GC budget, I do include their feed and straw though along wiht the other pets. Given that I spend an extra £3 a week on eggs they should pay for themselves fairly quickly.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask where you got your hens as that is fab price for 6 we have seen them 40.00 each!! and would love to have some.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Welsh_PoppyWelsh_Poppy Forumite
    979 posts
    3 NSD for me which is fab have been decorating hall so money from diff budget spent thank goodness.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    We got six new hens today, they should start laying in the next few weeks which means lots more eggs in my meal plans :T:j. I have struggled while we have been down to 2 hens and I mind paying £1.50 for 6 eggs to bake with. The hens themself cost £36 but I will not include them in my GC budget, I do include their feed and straw though along wiht the other pets. Given that I spend an extra £3 a week on eggs they should pay for themselves fairly quickly.

Can I ask where you got your hens as that is fab price for 6 we have seen them 40.00 each!! and would love to have some.

Why not rescue some battery hens? https://www.bhwt.org.uk they will still lay and are very cute :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts

We found them on Friday ads, from a fairly local farm in Leicestershire. I was looking at named varieties from £12 upwards at local breeders but given that I don't want chicks and we dont eat them these are fine - £40 seems scarily excessive :eek:. He had c200 for sale at 18 weeks old. I have rescued them from a future life as barn hens - not as bad as battery but still not nice. Worth looking at the noticeboards in pets at home etc if you cant find anything in Friday ads or free ads. I just googled point of lay hens and the county. We got the last ones from the noticeboard in the local farm shop for £5 a head for one year old marans, so £6 for POL heinzs seemes reasonable.

I cracked and went to the co-op :o. All of £5 on on offer tuna, penguins for lunchboxes and some reduced carrots and potatoes.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • OrangeFairyOrangeFairy Forumite
    2.6K posts
    mmm okay it looks bad!!! We have spent £160 of our £240 budget already!!!

BUT...we have done really well. Have bought cheese that was on offer to last us the month. We have all meals for the next two weeks with the exception of about £7 of lamb , some pasta sauce and some potatoes. But looking at my month meal plan the things i am cooking in the next couple of weeks are 2 meals at a time so i can freeze one meal for the last 2 weeks of the month! So looking at the list i have jotted down we only need about £15s worth of items to complete the meals for the last two weeks. So that with the £9 remaining for these 2 weeks leaves us £56 for milk , yogs and a few lunch bits! I will be thrilled to keep within the £240 budget as we have an extra week this month and i have kept the budget the same!!!
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• Planned a no spend but found I needed white bread for breadcrumbs (we only eat brown or seeded) Mr A had woopsied smart price, today's date for 14p. Bit dry for eating but perfect for crumbs. Succumbed to a couple of packs of rolls for lunches also woopsies so very pleased. Also some sprouts at Mr S 33p. (why does Mr A never have loose sprouts? Not paying £1.50 for 250g:eek:)

It appears I'm beginning to learn how to go into a shop, and only spend pennies LOL. It might help that there's very little room for manoeuver (sp?) in my budget.

Your Petit Pots sound delish Moniker. Lemon is definately my chocolate LOL.
    Dor