🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sooooo..... BHol Monday - and the weather is looking mighty fine! :T

Have re-done DD's bedroom over the weekend - new bed (double) - meaning a re-arrange of furniture and a smaller desk (she doesn't do much work here now in reality, so it's fine - and it's still a good size - her last one was larger than our kitchen table! :D) Obv new bedding - and she has used the opportunity to go through some things, so some 'younger' bits have left the room. It looks far more fitting for an almost 20yo young woman. Just the curtains to sort now (same ones she's had for 12 years) to finish it off - although her existing ones actually look less 'kiddy' with the rest of the room being more grown-up :) She absolutely loves it - which is great - she protests against change, even if not in her room (eg: the new sofas) - so it's taken a while to get here and the fact she is beaming at the end result is fab :) It also means that when her bf is here (such as next weekend for one night before they go on hols, as OH is taking them to the airport) they don't need to take over the family room (sofa bed in there) - which the smalls use as a playroom - and which has the office leading off it. As they don't tend to emerge until midday it's not the best having it out of action for that long - this is much better :)

It was my best friend's birthday on Fri - so Fri afternoon was spent at her house chatting over many cups of tea (we're so rock n roll :rotfl:) and then on Sat afternoon we (OH and I) went for afternoon tea with her and her hubby as our resent to her - 4 hours sat in the sun on the terrace of a lovely little local hotel with lots more tea - and sandwiches and cake :) Very pleasant :D (and no random 'things' as presents (I also got her a bargainacious top so she had something to unwrap - but I knew she liked it)

Sat evening saw OH and myself out for yet more food! - it was our 22nd wedding anniversary, so we went out for a meal and then a drink at the local Docks. We had DD being our taxi service for the evening :D:T

It's the last full week of the hols. DS1 is off to Nottingham tonight until Thurs evening - doing 3 days work experience in a GP's surgery there :) I have my friend's 2 boys for the day tomorrow whilst she is at work - as they are my small 2's best friends my 2 will love it - although the noise levels might be a bit crazy! :D I am unfortunately having the boiler serviced around midday but am hoping the weather is still fab and then we can go to a local large playpark after that for a while - burn off some energy :)

Today's plans are a small amount of finance and household admin, some washing & ironing - and a trip out somewhere with the smalls - am thinking Slimbridge Wetlands, as we are members :)

Hope you all have a lovely BHol Monday :0
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a great day and a happy anniversary to you both :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    I love slimbridge.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! :bdaycake:Have some cake!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    Options
    Thank you! :)

Well we didn't end up going to Slimbridge yesterday as it was just too hot in the afternoon. Smalls rode their bikes out (really have to encourage DS3 - he is still on stabilisers - he avoided riding a bike for a couple of years after riding straight into a patch of stinging nettles taller than him :() which was really good and we played a few games in the house and garden instead.

Shs - if you ever want discount vouchers to get into Slimbridge, let me know - they send me a few of them every year. It's quite close to us, so we used to go there loads.

The smalls best friends came here for the day today whilst their mum was at work. We had to stay in until after lunchtime, due to the boiler service - but then managed to get 90 minutes of play out at the big playpark which was good for them all :)

Had a couple more small fleabay sales yesterday - and had Z1ffit and MMagp1e totals confirmed today - so have added those figures in to my net sales for the year figure :) As both of the fleabay sales were for freebies I received they truly were free money :)

Almost the start of another month. September always sees me re-assessing things - I guess because it's the start of a new academic year, so the children always have changes. Also the weather changes - whilst Autumn weather and its mellow fruitfulness are lovely, the darker mornings and shorter evenings are not so much fun :( I start thinking about Xmas in Sept too - and this year I really have no inspiration as to what to get anyone! DD & DS2 are off to HP Studios (again) in Dec - so am hoping they get some (very) last minute ideas there (DS2's birthday is in Jan, DD's in Dec - so a double-whammy for both within a month)

Off to think of a bit of a plan for Sept.... :) - and I shall re-visit 2017's goals and see how they are coming along...

x
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I often think September 1st is like the start of new year for us MFW's.
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Indeed. I feel it offers more possibilities as thoughts and plans are done in daylight, often with some sun, and certainly warmer weather that at the endnof December.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning greent, don't know if you have seen but primarni have an amazing range of hp stuff at the moment (20th anniversary) pens shaped like wands £1.50 , mugs, bags, purses, bedding, clothes and nightwear. I have put a few bits away for Xmas - will have to still buy a chocolate frog at the studio shop though :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • greent
    Options
    Did a post the other day, lost it and decided not to re-type :)

newgirly - I now have some of the HP stuff stashed, but not much (our 2 local stores only have a limited stock in) I really want the potion lights for DD! OH is taking her, her bf and DS2 to the studios 19th Dec, so it'll be all Christmassy :)

So... all 3 boys are now back to school. DS1 (Y13) went back on Tues. DS2 (Y7) went in on Tues afternoon for 90 minutes and then started full time yesterday. DS3 (Y4) started yesterday. DS3 has had a massive growth spurt over the hols - cue mad panic yesterday morning trying to find trousers which fitted! :D And this morning I discovered that his PE polo is more grey than white - so I will pick up a new one in the smkt.

DD is in PAris with the boyf - they fly back tonight. BAck to uni 23rd Sept

Am looking forward to when we have some sort of routine established - takes a few weeks to get into the swing of things again!

Hmmm... money news - (American style) fridge freezer broke on Sunday (well, the freezer part) It's been playing up on-and-off for a few weeks or more, so I'd already scoped out it's replacement - last time I checked just 3 weeks ago it was £1399, with a manufacturer's cashback offer of £100. Anyway, quick search got me it for £1011 - which included delivery, removal of the packaging, removal of the old one - and cashback for £26 and some pence has tracked :) I'll take that as a decent result :)
    We lost some food as a result and yesterday saw me cooking 3 x YS chickens and 1kg of mince which had defrosted. But all is now ok :) - and the new fridge and freezer are super tidy & organised! :D

Sold a large item on fleabay for just under £270 (net) - which is great - and goes some way to the cost of the new f/f!! :D - and means we have more room in the garage :T Also sold some of DS3's toys on there :) BUT - have spent out on new ceiling and wall light for DS3's room, new duvet set (HPotter :D) for DS2, pole and floor tool for mini Dys0n for DD's flat (was like a dustbuster and had no pole originally)

Mtge news - made the huge OP of £3.15 last night! (rounds down sub acct 1 :D) AM totally smashing this! :rotfl:

OOh - OH ahs just phoned to say he is nearly home - off to put kettle on! :)
    x
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a great post! Keeping track of your offspring, selling high value stuff, replacing the f/f so cannily, I love it.

I wish I'd seen the HP stuff at the Primarni in London that I visited - I really fancy having a wand :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport