greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Again being fit for work is another evolutionary development. We can't help it but our bodies get us ready for providing (not having a rest in work)!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Legendary!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Haha! At least you've effectively admitted, jimmy, that we (women) are most definitely not the weaker sex, what with our more robust immune system! ;):D

I am sounding rather Mariella Frostrup at the mo - or, as my youngest said, like by best friend - who smokes 40 a day! Whatever it is has gone to my chest - leaving me with a very husky voice (I'm quite high pitched and excitable sounding normally, sadly) when it's there - it does keep fading.

Haven't done much this week (meaning a cheap week so far) - just a visit to the local playpark with the smalls. We did buy them new tablets at the weekend, though - their old ones were old, glitchy, one had a cracked screen, neither held charge for any length of time. Once we've managed to transfer everything over (side sync hasn't worked properly :() we can Mus1cMagp1e the old ones. We also had a discount applied by the sales assistant (no idea why) and paid using gift vouchers bought at 8% discount :)

Have decided we are skint for the next few months - both cars tax due end of this month and both cars also due MOT & service next month......:eek::eek: Holiday is Oct is on 0% CC, so need to pay that down. Also had tax credits letter yesterday saying I owe them money again (I hate them - I always keep them informed of changes yet I often end up owing them money :() and that we are due no payments at all this year (Am pretty sure we will be when it comes to renewal time - at least I might get a small lump payment then) Plus DD is back to uni next month (always costs us a big food shop :D) She is also having a new bed at home (would need a new mattress even if she kept her old bed - which she's had since she was 2 (is on 2nd mattress) - she is 20 before the year is out....) and a new desk & chair (cheap from 1kea) She's also had her curtains since she was about 8 - they are lilac with huge big pink and purple flowers along the bottom..... Sigh...... (( I am aware it's very much first world problems and that we do have savings and so me saying we're skint is a relative term..... ;):))

Am looking forward (money wise) to this time next year - OH's car will finally be fully paid for, as will the new kitchen - and tax credits will be repaid (I refuse to repay it in one lump when I have kept them informed of changes as we go along :D). That should mean we have a totally clean slate then :) - fingers crossed.....!!!! (aside from BTL - but that's an income-earning asset with equity, so am not classing it the same)

Was at work this morning - meaning an alarm at 6am! - it would be the day when the youngest slept his latest ever this hols (7.20 - just as I needed to leave) Was lovely to see so many of the students pleased with their results and get where they wanted :) DS1 unfortunately didn't do as well in his AS exams as he would have liked - and is capable of. However, far better that he got 2 C grades this year than next - and hopefully this will make him realise that his natural ability is not enough at A level without some extra work (as myself and his teachers have been saying for ages) He will have to resit his Maths AS to improve on the grade to stand a chance of the needed grade at A2. Psych AS doesn't matter - none of his preferred unis are looking at taking AS into account, just the A2 grades. His maths result wasn't out of kilter across the year, though - which has been a small crumb of comfort to him.

Next week's GCSEs sees a later start - I won't need to be in work until 8.30am :D

Phew! Bit of a long, rambling (and moany) post - not meant to be - am actually feeling quite chipper in reality! :D
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    Options
    Well, I did the school shoe shopping trip today..... £275 later I'm done! :eek: (Did include 3 x casual shoes for the boys too) At least I don't have to buy school shoes for DD any more - and DS1's weren't needed either, as his are in remarkably good nick :)

Off to Cardiff and the DR Who Exhibition thing tomorrow (closing in Sept) Well - some are going to Dr Who - DS3 finds it scary, so he & I aren't :) We may go and see the dinosaurs in a museum instead :)

Box of 20+ items parcelled up tonight for MusicMAgpie and 7 items listed on fleabay :) - am determined to shift some stuff out of this house!! We are also going to DD's student flat in Cardiff tomorrow, so we are taking over yet more stuff (including rather a lot of tinned food to give a good basic supply - and means she doesn't have to schlep heavy tins back from the shop for a while :)) Hopefully the weather will be good so we can attack the jungle previously known as a garden too :)

x
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    My most improved students struggled a bit at AS.

Hard for you but it helps them to realise the enormity of the task.x
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Woah SJ - you're asking for it with statements like that! :-)

Hope you are feeling better GT!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • greent
    Options
    Thanks, shs - I am hoping this will serve as an effective 'kick up the b*m' that he needs to work for A levels - he has always cruised through up until now.

Bit tired still, dfod - thanks for asking :) Also still have very husky voice :D

Spent most of day in Cardiff yesterday - well, when we got there - traffic was rather heavy on the way. Took a load of stuff - but forgot one bag of (long life) food - will have to take next time. Sorted out some bits inside the flat whilst OH strimmed the jungle outside. I then attacked the patio (covered in huge brambles and the longest, thickest lines of bindweed I have ever seen) Grabbed a snack lunch from Gregg5 (healthy - not!) - I took cheese & cuc wraps for the boys & plenty of drinks for us all to keep OH hydrated. Sorted through the post in the communal hall cupboard - some went back to 2014!!!! Put most back in post box as 'moved - return to sender' - lots were from collection agencies..... There is a large pile left of old post for the landlord - have told DD & bf to ask letting agency what to do with it - and a smaller pile of more recent stuff. Will look to re-visit that at end of year, when everyone has moved in and you can then see whether any names are of current/ new tenants - anything remaining can go back to senders! :D

OH & DS2 then went to the DR Who exhibition - closing in Sept - and had a fab time. DD, myself and DS3 went to the museum (killed some time) and the park opposite. They refused my offer of ice creams, so we had a walk around, checking out the statues and then sat down in the sun for a while, and then walked back to DD's (calling in at Tesc0 on the way for buttons and Malte5ers) and went back to DD's to watch Moana on DVD whilst waiting for OH & DS2 :) - they arrived back when Moana had less than 5 mins to go - perfect timing :)

Very successful day and small boys had a good time helping in garden and the other stuff :) DD now away until Tues.

Currently only myself and DS3 awake - might make OH a cuppa and see if that entices him downstairs (will text him a pic :D:D)
    x
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Haha good way to get him out of bed.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds great, greent! Good for you for tackling the post - there could be all sorts in there!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Currently only myself and DS3 awake - might make OH a cuppa and see if that entices him downstairs (will text him a pic :D:D)
    x

It would have needed bacon on toast on the pic as well to entice me down...:D
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure