greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a thoughtful DH you have. Your trip sounded great despite the dodgy food, glad you binned it!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Do you think that maybe you had a slight touch of the novovirus that athletes at the Tower Hotel had? Hope you've made a full recovery.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    What a lovely surprise :)

Hope you're back to normal now.

Love MB toiletries.

Brought back some memories. My first job in London was in Holborn:)

Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Do you think that maybe you had a slight touch of the novovirus that athletes at the Tower Hotel had?
    I wondered about that ... hope you're doing better, greent.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks all - yes - it was lovely :)

I'm inclined to believe it was 'contaminated' food, rather than norovirus - OH and I ate the same food all weekend (he was fine) and I react quite quickly when I eat such an item and felt totally fine until the lunch.

Anyway, moving on from that. This week has been drizzly and damp. Not much done - and rent was late for BTL again (arrived after I chased - but £20 short....) BUT I have paid another £405 OP to BTL :T - slowly slowly baby steps :D:D

2 fleabay items sold - netting me a whole £10! Ah well - better than nothing, I guess! Still have a whole heap to list. Have 3 watchers on a £50 item too, so am hoping 1 turns into a bid..... Also have a growing pile for Ziffit and a couple of old pieces of tech for Music Magpie. Now just to motivate myself to deal with it all :p

Feels like Saturday today - OH is home (as usual on a Fri) but abandoned work at midday - full of a heavy cold, so is curled up on a sofa with a fluffy blanket. I need to get his expenses up straight - but need his brain working (ie: not full of a cold) to help!

Best be off and feed the brood now, I guess :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Annoying about the buy to let. Do you have a strategy?
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounds a great trip, the Boro is usually great so very sorry you had a dodgy meal. (And agree you can't beat a piece of GWR fruit cake :))

My house has had a succession of people feeling ill over the last fortnight...brings everyone down..its so wintry I lit the stove last night which did cheer us up. Hope OH feels better soon.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 13 August 2017 at 8:29AM
    Options
    Full rent is now in from the BTL - it's just annoying that I'm having to chase it most months. They are 11 months into a 2 year lease. Part of the issue is they get paid weekly and don't seem to be able to budget fabulously for large monthly bills (I always get any shortfalls/ late payments on the Fri - which is payday). Rent is due 10th monthly (their choice - we originally went for 1st monthly but they asked for the date to be changed as other payments were due month end/ first of month)

I think we're just going to wait and see. If they want to have more time after the original 2 years then I may a- put the rent up slightly (a clause allows for annual increases, but I'm not going to increase it this year) and b - see if I can get a small late payment fee of some sort established if they want a formal length of time agreed (as opposed to running on on a month-to-month basis) just to cover my time spent monitoring and chasing.

After dithering over selling/ keeping on and off for a few years we are inclined to keep it and pay off mortgage - meaning we'll have an asset (currently selling for around 105k) bringing in a gross annual income (currently of 6.4k) It is *relatively* easy money and they sell quite quickly, should we ever need to realise the capital.

Brizzle - agree, BM is fab for food - I should probably have played safe and had food from one of the many other stalls with no shellfish on. I was very impressed by the fab labelling re vegan/ vegetarian/ allergens on the vast majority - there was a good choice of vegan/ gf/ dairy free foods around.

Oh still full of man flu (it's been upgraded - sigh...) I have a scratchy throat, decreased breath capacity, a persistant slight headache and slight sniffles - and am tired and snappy (although some would say nothing new there! :D) but nothing which renders me incapable ;) We are meant to be attending a 1yo's party today, though - and as well as small people there will be a 6.5month pregnant person there and I'm not convinced it's a good idea to be in contact with them. OH disagrees and wants to go for a couple of hours.....

Weather here was lovely yesterday. It is noticeably cooler on an evening - but bedroom windows are still open all night.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll stick up for Mr GT...

Us men folk feel bugs much worse given out less robust immune systems than female counterparts... Female hormones allow for stronger immune systems which are needed for the whole pregnancy/child rearing type stuff.

So in defence you can't compete with 6 thousand years of evolution ;)
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Ha ha ha!

Get well soon Mr GT.

Mr Small (see what I did there?) suffers terribly with dire viruses which he always miraculously recovers from in time for work. Guess I should admire his work ethic?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback