greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you have had a very busy half term week greent.
    I have finally managed to sort some stuff out and even got a couple of bits up for sale and a couple of bits that have sold already. So I'm heading in the right direction.
    I'm still on operation empty the freezer. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am amazed you have anything left to declutter!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    We need some of your decluttering mojo over here!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Sorry to hear two of the events you're going to are funerals, though, greent :(

Good news on DD though - a good sleepover and all those offers, brilliant. Have you been to Cardiff? I was there a few years ago, and its a lovely place to stay, it seems to have turned itself into a showcase. Hope all the clearing goes well today xx

Both friends of OH's from rugby. One only 2 months older than OH and 2 small (pre teen) children. The other only mid 50s. :(

We're only an hour from Cardiff, so I used to go shopping there at times pre children. I also worked there for a while and have relatives there (my Dad's mum was Welsh and his father Irish descent over from Wales) We've also been there for days out (such as Dr Who exhibition) and concerts. I'd be very happy if she got into Cardiff - not too far away, but far enough so that she feels properly away from home and in an area she doesn't know that well, really (and relatives and a close family friend in the city to call upon if necessary!)
    tattycath wrote: »
    Sounds like you have had a very busy half term week greent.
    I have finally managed to sort some stuff out and even got a couple of bits up for sale and a couple of bits that have sold already. So I'm heading in the right direction.
    I'm still on operation empty the freezer. :)

Well done on getting stuff sold - money for unwanted items is always a win-win! :T
    CathT wrote: »
    I am amazed you have anything left to declutter!

Not *that* much now, I guess :D - mainly ongoing things from children and paperwork to fully sort. Oh - and I'd like to properly sort out our photos - both physical and digital ones :)

We need some of your decluttering mojo over here!

I'd happily help if you were closer - I quite like doing it - gives me a sense of achievement :):p

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    Options
    Well OH finally got up just before 10 and was till in his PJs when I went out to a!di just before 2!! He has man flu (pffft!) but went for a shower whilst I was out shopping, and he perked up a bit then. He has removed the rest of the border from DS3's room (I did most of it yesterday), taken out some furniture and taken down the curtain pole and pictures. All holes have been filled, ready for rubbing down in the morning. DS3 has chosen Dulux's kiwi crush - which is rather vibrant and probably a bit too dark for his room in reality (to have on all 4 walls, anyway - would work as an accent, I guess) so tomorrow morning I am nipping out for a tester of Crown's 'Mojito' to check that out instead. He may e small, but he's not easily swayed, so we may have a battle on our hands (I tried to persuade him to have Dulux's Willow Green - I thought that he might like it because his class name is 'willow' - but it's not green enough, apparently! :D

I dropped a bag of random kitchen items off at the CS and checked if they would take a wardrobe (yes - if we'll deliver) before popping to a!di - and spent £60+!!! Ok - it did include £5 on a bunch of flowers for me , £4.50 on a camellia as part of my mum's MS present and £5 on a bottle of prosecco (:D) but I only went in with a short list!! Lots and lots of fruit and veggies, though - I've calculated it's about 21 weeks until we go away, so am being determined to lose weight! Had bolognaise (5% mince, with about 4x the same amount of veggies added to it) with courgette ribbons and a side of wilted spinach in balsamic vinegar for dinner - very yummy and I was stuffed. Am feeling a little peckish now, so will have a cup of tea instead :) My downfall is sweet things and picking at things, especially on an evening. I may need to play hardball for a week or 10 days - I find that really diminishes my sweet tooth if I do (although it is also my bday on Mothering Sunday - so I'm bound to get sweet things then!)

On the subject of presents, I have asked OH to get me some skincare (currently on a 3 for 2 offer and also 20% off if bought online - and went through tcb :D) and have my eye on 2 more fruit trees for the garden. I really want to avoid 'things' for things sake if I can. We are looking at new sofas (our 3 seater one is sagging in 2 seats and has batons in the arms which move considerably) so if we can choose ones beforehand my mum has agreed to get me new scatter cushions :) (She can also get 15% discount at the store from her step grandson - added bonus)

Right - off to make a cup of tea before seeing if there is anything on the tv at 9pm which I can watch whilst finishing the ironing :)

xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my, that really is man flu, isn't it! Still, glad he got to it eventually :)

I may be a kindred spirit to your DS3 :D I was about 10 when I nagged my mum and dad enough so that they cleared out the box room for me to have as a bedroom - it was literally 6' x 6'. I chose an "old lady " sort of print at first, I just saw the colours and liked them, but my mum realised I'd hate it in a week, bless her - whereupon I chose Barbie pink for the woodwork, and leopardskin, I kid you not, for the wallpaper - and I stuck to my guns as well :D I loved that wallpaper so much! :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my that decorating image KC :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • greent
    Options
    Echoing Watty's 'Oh my!' at that image KC! :D:D

Not sure I've done much today - ironing is up straight, sure (although the WM has just finished another load so it won't be up straight for long - it never is! :D) and I did bake a rather yummy banana, coconut & cherry loaf (V moreish - large chunks consumed for dessert with custard by some, thin sliver from end for me and then remaining bit sliced and boxed up) and buy paint for DS3's room (which needed a trip to wickes and 2 trips to B&Q!) and passed on 3 books (1 fiction to my mum and 1 fiction and 1 brand new SW book received as a free gift to my aunt (via my mum)) and talked to my mum for almost an hour about family hassle between my nan and one of my uncles - very sad and family members are taking sides - I was trying to play Devil's advocate, as it's not clear cut and both are at fault and there could be long lasting family fractures as a result :( My nan is in her 80s and getting frailer, but my uncle is quite poorly at 60. Argh!! I think my mum thinks I'm being hard hearted in some of things I said, but I'm just trying to be dispassionate about it.

Anyway, enough of that! Can't believe it's Friday already! The week has gone! DD and OH off to Cardiff tomorrow, which will be nice for them (I went to the Open Day with DD, so it makes sense for OH to go to the applicant day with her so he can see it too - although they get given lunch and then he gets coffee and cake mid afternoon!)

I kind of feel a fraud posting on here still! I like it too much to leave, though! Perhaps I should start with a repayment plan for the BTL and then I might feel legitimate again! :D (I will sometime, but I want to get our house in order and big holiday done first) Actually, on that note, our lender has written to us this week about the BTL. When we took it out (14? years ago) we didn't need any sort of repayment vehicle as it was a BTL. We now have to come up with a repayment plan and timescale (I guess it was taken out over 25 years) and let them know it - if we don't have one we have to call them to discuss it. I think not!! I fully intend to tackle it and repay it well ahead of the end date, but I am not setting anything up just yet. Very worst case scenario we'd sell it - but it's a decent (relatively) passive income stream, so wouldn't want to unless necessary (change of mind over this in the past couple of years, I know)

Very disjointed post from me tonight - my head feels all over the place - too much whizzing around it. I need to get my thoughts in order ad restore calm! :)

xx
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Echoing Watty's 'Oh my!' at that image KC! :D:D

Not sure I've done much today - ironing is up straight, sure (although the WM has just finished another load so it won't be up straight for long - it never is! :D) and I did bake a rather yummy banana, coconut & cherry loaf (V moreish - large chunks consumed for dessert with custard by some, thin sliver from end for me and then remaining bit sliced and boxed up) and buy paint for DS3's room (which needed a trip to wickes and 2 trips to B&Q!) and passed on 3 books (1 fiction to my mum and 1 fiction and 1 brand new SW book received as a free gift to my aunt (via my mum)) and talked to my mum for almost an hour about family hassle between my nan and one of my uncles - very sad and family members are taking sides - I was trying to play Devil's advocate, as it's not clear cut and both are at fault and there could be long lasting family fractures as a result :( My nan is in her 80s and getting frailer, but my uncle is quite poorly at 60. Argh!! I think my mum thinks I'm being hard hearted in some of things I said, but I'm just trying to be dispassionate about it.

Anyway, enough of that! Can't believe it's Friday already! The week has gone! DD and OH off to Cardiff tomorrow, which will be nice for them (I went to the Open Day with DD, so it makes sense for OH to go to the applicant day with her so he can see it too - although they get given lunch and then he gets coffee and cake mid afternoon!)

I kind of feel a fraud posting on here still! I like it too much to leave, though! Perhaps I should start with a repayment plan for the BTL and then I might feel legitimate again! :D (I will sometime, but I want to get our house in order and big holiday done first) Actually, on that note, our lender has written to us this week about the BTL. When we took it out (14? years ago) we didn't need any sort of repayment vehicle as it was a BTL. We now have to come up with a repayment plan and timescale (I guess it was taken out over 25 years) and let them know it - if we don't have one we have to call them to discuss it. I think not!! I fully intend to tackle it and repay it well ahead of the end date, but I am not setting anything up just yet. Very worst case scenario we'd sell it - but it's a decent (relatively) passive income stream, so wouldn't want to unless necessary (change of mind over this in the past couple of years, I know)

Very disjointed post from me tonight - my head feels all over the place - too much whizzing around it. I need to get my thoughts in order ad restore calm! :)

xx

Wow! No rest for the wicked. :)
    Have a glass of wine greent. :D
    If I wasn't driving in the morning I'd have a large glass of prosecco/wine of choice. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I certainly don't think you are a fraud GT. We need people like you on this forum who have achieved mortgage freedom to show us it is possible and what we do with ourselves when we finally get there :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family