greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    A very happy new year to you Greent, I do hope 2016 is a good year for you. Good luck with all of your targets. I hope your neighbours have recovered from the party, sounds wild!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Contract ends end of Jan, so only 4 more weeks - and no hope of extension as a recruitment freeze was brought in the day after he started.

Haven't seen neighbours since the party, squirrel!! Am assuming they've recovered (and maybe been tv shopping!!) :)

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good for you OH, greent, in not switching on the work electronics - that's only fair, he's on contract, they can't expect more than that. They shouldn't anyway!
    newgirly wrote: »
    :naughty: now now, sherlock can never be too long greent :p
    I closed my eyes and scrolled down quick when I saw you'd mentioned it, I didn't watch it till lunchtime today :rotfl: I loved it, I have to say :o
    Love the new year plans and last years round up, I really don't know how you manage to fit everything in, hope you have a great 2016 :D
    From me too, you do a tremendous amount!

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    Options
    Ah, thanks - I don't really - honest!

OH off to London today - left the house at 5.30am!Smallest two back at school - teens are back tomorrow. Nice day at home. I dealt with my ebay parcels, caught up on the ironing, put the dry washing away, took the last tree down (with the help of the teens) and DS1 and I put the boxes in the garage, tidied and inventoried the freezer (did a lovely job of organising it, if I say so myself! :D), sorted leftovers in the fridge into lunches for me, did a bit of paperwork and a small bit of tidying. More washing is currently drying - may iron some later and the rest tomorrow. Oh - and I priced some unwanted items for the nearly new sale, too :)

Am on 9200+ steps today, with no effort made, so should achieve my 10K. Goes to show how much more active I am on a 'normal' day - some days over the hols I was doing 5K. I was thinking of going out for a quick walk around lunchtime, but the weather has been so miserable that I decided that it really wasn't worth getting *that* wet and cold for! :)

DD has done some paperwork for me this afternoon on the business accounts, so I shall pay her for that :) Our end of year is Jan, so I'd like to get it all up straight and everything in order so that I can do the VAT return on the 31st and then get the books ready and hopefully even drop them off at the accountant's early Feb :)

Off to move wet washing around and get DS3 ready for bed - and then collect DS2 from Cubs :)

Hope anyone returning to work hasn't found it *too* alarming today! :D

xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • greent
    Options
    Hello!

This week appears to be rushing past!!

It's actually sunny here at the mo - yeay! (although I've probably kiboshed it now!!) :D

Did a tidy/ reorganise and stock take of the big freezer earlier this week (can't get to the wee one in the garage until the Xmas decs are put back in garage loft :D - but it only contains HG/ foraged fruit and veg) It all fits in properly now, and we are definitely on a mission to eat the freezer this month (and poss next) That will mainly come down to me, I know - so I'm expecting some weird lunch combos to use things up in the next few weeks :) We have 23 frozen bananas, though, so I'm going to have to make lots of banana cakes and muffins - and maybe whoosh some into ice cream :D Also a lot of chopped pears and apples - so crumbles and pies will also be the order of the day (plain stewed apple for me - I really need to shift some weight!) A stupid amount of steak mince, chicken breasts and steaks too :) I really, really want to end 2016 with only things in the freezer dated 2016..... ok, it's only fruit and veg older than that at the mo, and they are perfectly edible (I've been trying them :D) but it's still not good practice!

My fridge is looking more *normal* now, after the crazy fullness it was over Xmas - not from overbuying, but more from the fact I was trying to avoid the shops for as long as possible, and then there were tubs and tubs of leftovers to deal with - and the children like to keep chocolate presents in there (there's still quite a lot of choc around, but I have eaten all of mine now and none of the communal stuff really appeals, thankfully!! :D)

I re-visited my clothes MK style today. Got rid of a little bit more (about half of which was from my decorating stash - I rarely decorate, so didn't need that much!!) and my wardrobe and drawers are looking lovely :D I want to get DS3 and DS2 on board again (I did quite a lot of their rooms with them a year ago - but that is ages when talking children and clothes/ books/ toys!!) but first I need to be able to get into their rooms! - it's like an explosion of toys and books in each of them after the Xmas hols - compounded by DS2's birthday being yesterday and DD having a sort out of things and passing books on downwards! I spent 20 mins in DS3's room earlier re-organising storage for some of his toys, so there is some improvement. Actually - I'm going to spend the next 20 mins in there now, before I have to go on school run, rather than wombling around on MSE! :D

xx
  • RoaringTwenties
    Options
    Hi greent, I've got back onto your diary! Massive congrats on being MF :T

I had a similar day when my two went back - housework, accounts & filing, tidying - nice to get back to some sort of normality.

Wishing you a happy 2016 :)
    Life is changing...but I'm still Money Saving!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been trying to do 15-20 minute chunks of kon marie. Can't face anymore but it is only time I would have otherwise wasted. I will make slow progress!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • greent
    Options
    Hi greent, I've got back onto your diary! Massive congrats on being MF :T

I had a similar day when my two went back - housework, accounts & filing, tidying - nice to get back to some sort of normality.

Wishing you a happy 2016 :)

Thanks RT - happy 2016 to you, too! MF is good - but I'm drifting a bit aimlessly now, without having a 'proper' target (all mine are a bit woolly) so I need to stretch and target myself properly! :)
    CathT wrote: »
    I have been trying to do 15-20 minute chunks of kon marie. Can't face anymore but it is only time I would have otherwise wasted. I will make slow progress!

KM seems to work - my stuff is far easier than the children's though. DD is mainly on board with the idea and has thinned down her room using the 'spark joy' principle and OH loves the folding of clothes :D DS1 will happily jettison most things unless it involves gaming or army cadets, I think! His room is by far the clearest - although by no means the cleanest and tidiest! DS2 & DS3, on the other hand, apparently LOVE all of their things..... and as they are in the smallest 2 bedrooms, they have way more things than there is really room for....

Both of their rooms are to be redecorated - hopefully by Easter - so need a good sort out. My plan is to go through things in tiny subcategories with DS3 first (eg: all Mario toys as one subcategory, all Gormiti as another, etc) - breaking it right down into small chunks. We cleared a lot of books last year - some reluctantly on my part - but there is little point in keeping ones which he truly does not want (even if I love them!) I need him to realise that I won't get rid of things if he wants them, but that - realistically - he has way more than he plays with (and that can fit nicely in his room) I want the decisions to be his, though...... I'm expecting that I'll get frustrated! :D

I have a huge long list of things to do - but am struck by apathy today - I can't seem to get stuck into anything, so have been floating about doing little bits here and there and not really achieving anything :( I feel like I'm really wasting the day :(

Right - I shall attack the ironing now and at least get that sorted (only yesterday's load to iron, so not much) and then maybe see if I can get inspired to do something else..

xx
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Now you are MF you CAN "waste" the day if you like.
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Absolutely. Put your feet up and watch a boxed set!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure