Nervous about having a boy!

Options
I'm expecting my 2nd child and have a strong feeling it's a boy this time. My dd is the first child I've ever had any experience of being around but I was so glad she was a girl because I knew what to expect bringing up a girl, sort of. I feel quite nervous about having a boy. Not while they're little but more when they get older. My friends with sons all seem to have problems with them. Are all boys difficult?

Comments

• xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    Options
    Mine wasnt i actually find both of my lads easier than my DD who is a stroppy little madam sometimes :-)
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
  • my_gorgeous_ellie-belle
    Options
    I found that i felt like that when i 1st found out what i was/am expecting too. I was hoping for another little girl but to be honest i have more than come round to the idea. I think being a mum is the main thing - it'll all come naturally to you and to be honest it's not like they turn in to 'lads' overnight, it's a very gradual thing!

Don't worry hun, you'll prob have a lovely little mummys boy (girls tend to hang on to and dote on daddys every word, well mine does, lol) - all my friends say their boys were easier than their girls which i never really believed. We'll see ;)
    Mummy of 3 lovely munchkins :smileyhea
  • newlysingle_2
    Options
    I was the same as you when I found out I was having DS1, both myself and another friend who also had DD were unsure but DS1 and 2 are both so loving, more so than DD. I find DD is more 'head strong' and she thinks she is 16 not 6!! Whereas my boys act there age- if not a little younger atm.

I love all my babies the same but love the cuddles and random 'I love you's' that my boys give me.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know how you feel, kind of. I have a girl who is 11 now and the thought of having a boy terrifies me and (I'm not even pregnant!).

I mean what do you do with a boy other than football/rugby, then you get cold and wet watching them..... give me a group of girls and crafts, make up, cooking any day.

having said that, I have all nephews - no neices, all godsons - no god daughters, and they're a doddle. More mischievious, but fine. #

I bet people with boys feel this way about having a girl.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2010 at 8:49PM
    Options
    My boys are only 7 and 10 but they're perfect. My experience with friends and relatives is that thegirls hit 14 or 15 they turn into she devils, none of their boys did that (or the male equivalent). Having said that, I know that I wasn't and neither was one sister, but the other was. IMO it's all down to the parenting. Having said thet when mine turn into Kevin and Perry I'll be back on here asking how they turned out like that with such a perfect mother :rotfl::rotfl:

Honestly though, I think it's better and easier to see them as people, rather than their sex. Although all my friends with boys do agree with me about that special mother/son bond, but maybe if I had a daughter it would be just the same.

Either way, if I was completely honest, I don't and haven't hankered for a daught, my sons are fabulous people in their own right and I am definitely a fan of boys, they have been no trouble, adore me, and are becoming independant sensible young people of whom I'm sure I will still be very proud when they become adults. You will feel the same no matter what your baby's sex is. (I'm sure I felt the same when I was convinced number 2 was a girl)

(and can I just add that I too think the random hugs cuddles and "I love you mum"s are definitely a boy thing - I too want then to be mummy's boys forever, but not in the comic book sense, IYKWIM)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Jo.G
    Jo.G Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    I'm the opposite to you - I think girls seem more difficult!
    I have two boys though, so the only experience I have are my two nieces who are just coming up to 3yrs. But they seem so demanding! My boys always wear whatever clothes I leave out for them, no questions asked, I rarely need to brush their hair in a morning. I remember mums of girls at nursery saying how they had to do their daughters hair in a french plait/pony tail/bunches every morning depending on said daughters mood. Boys are very loving too. And even though my youngest is very tiring at times he is nowhere near as stubborn as my nieces (nor me come to think of it!) Although, as they get older I should imagine I'll miss not having a daughter to go shopping with as they both HATE any kind of shopping (bar toys for them of course) with a passion!
    Whatever flavour you get, I'm sure the baby will be loved and thats all that matters. Congratulations and good luck!
  • balijay
    balijay Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh no not in my experience!! I have DS 10 and DD 7 and my son is far easier that my daughter. DS is easy-going, laid back and amuses himself quite happily. DD is stroppy, highly-strung, argumentative and fickle!! Of course I love them both to death but I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and I know what I am hoping for this time!!
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive got a son he is 14 and hes lovely and Ive got 2 girls. DS is lovely laid back (a bit too much) and hes not a pick of bother. THe girls arent too bad either but I would imagine when they hit their teens they won't be as easy as DS is. :-)
  • snowmaid
    snowmaid Posts: 3,494 Forumite
    Options
    A boy any day!

With a boy you only have one willy to worry about! :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 March 2010 at 10:31PM
    Options
    I'm one of 3 girls, and we spent little time with boys as children, so I had little experience of boys before we had children, just men :rotfl:
    Are all boys difficult?

No! I may be criticised for this, but my experience is that as a society, we're harder on girls, expecting them to behave. We then say "boys will be boys" and they get away with murder :cool: So as a sweeping generalisation, as boys get older they misbehave more, as they've been allowed to do so.

We made sure that we set clear boundaries for both our children, and carried through with waht we said we'd do. Worked for us.

My 15yo DS is a pleasure to be with, and is growing into a caring, funny, handsome young man. It's been a privelege to have a son :T

16yo DD is delightful, too. They're as different as you can imagine, but the best of friends and never, ever argue or fall out :T
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport