Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
124 replies 149.4K views

Replies

• I went online to get quotes for insurance 12/10/2014 before collecting a car I was buying... The best quote was from Right choice Insurance services at £850 a year so I accepted the quote and paid £181deposit online. I was informed an advisor would contact me to finalise details. Within the hour they called me and said they wanted to clarify my details before setting it up!!! It turns out the online price was wrong was going to be higher than what was quoted online!! He said that I needed pay £35 extra deposit and the premiums go from £70 to over £100 per month and the original 8 instalments would be 10
    I said forget it I’ll go elsewhere and was told no one else would insure me as he had all the insurers in the UK in front of him and that was the best quote.
    I had to hang up on him in the end as he would not get off the phone.
    I went onto my banks website and took out insurance through them. Though more expensive than the original quote it was substantial cheaper than the revised quote. I tried to pay and found that my account was light by £181 which when I looked in pending transactions was earmarked to Moneybookers London DE. I got back onto Right Choice who said it was pending because the transaction wasn’t complete at which point I pointed out it wasn’t going to happen and to release the money back to my account.
    I spent the next four hours going from my bank to their complaints dept. and only when I pointed out if that money leaves my account “my bank” can pursue it as fraudulent transaction did they get it back into my account.
  • Hi I don't know if anyone can help me. If I explain my story then someone may be able to give me advice....

OK so my ex boyfriend and I bought a car, it was just a cheap runner, he had recently passed his test and couldn't get insured on his own policy due to a driving ban (before passing his test >:| ), so me (being stupid!) decided I would open a new policy and put myself as the main driver and him as the second then we could both use the car. The policy cost 1800 then went up to 2200 (when they call back etc) but he was so determined to get on the road he said he would pay the bigger half of the cost every month..... anyway... 4 months down the line we break up, I move back to my mums he stays in the house... obviously its too late to cancel the policy, so after looking at the cost I had to pay for the remainder of the policy, it was something over £1400, I didn't know what to do, neither of us had that kind of money, so I didn't inform that I wanted to cancel the policy as I knew they would take whatever there was in my bank, so I decided to cancel the direct debit...... now its 8 months after all this happened and im getting phonecalls and emails from a company called the insurance collections bureau, which I keep ignoring. Previous to all this I had a few stupid debts consolidated due to losing hours in work and things spiralling out of control, I have almost paid the full debts off, i want to start rebuilding credit but i cant when this policy is hanging over my head. Biggest regret of my life, tried to help somebody out and i get cheated on and left with a big bill. The way im thinking at the moment i would rather go to court and explain my full situation than pay any more money out to companies who rob people blind :@ (although i haven't got a court letter yet, letters would be going to exes address but he hasn't contacted to say whether any letters have come).

I hope this makes sense, apologies for spelling. Any advice is good advice at the moment
    Amy M :santa2:
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopping the dd was your error.

You need to see if it's not too late to cancel the policy now, though they probably already cancelled it due to your default.

If so you have a lifelong problem in that a cancelled policy remains on your record for ever and most mainstream insurers just won't entertain anyone with this in their history.

As far as the debt goes expect them to pursue you for it. So try and come to an arrangement with them to pay it off on the drip.
  • thanks for the help. ahh my god its such a mess. Il call them up in the morning and see what I can do, the way my finances are set up at the minute I haven't got the money to pay it so theyl have to accept something ridiculous like a 5ver a week or something.
    Amy M :santa2:
  • BhassanBhassan Forumite
    2 posts
    Well this thread was started years and today I have encountered some awful service from them. I have had the policy from 16/04/2015, paid a deposit and subsequently one monthly payment in June thereafter. Today I sold my car and called to cancel my policy. They seem to think it is fair for me to pay over half the policy considering I am two months into it. Anybody else experienced and be successful with a fight?
  • rs65rs65 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bhassan wrote: »
    Well this thread was started years and today I have encountered some awful service from them. I have had the policy from 16/04/2015, paid a deposit and subsequently one monthly payment in June thereafter. Today I sold my car and called to cancel my policy. They seem to think it is fair for me to pay over half the policy considering I am two months into it. Anybody else experienced and be successful with a fight?

What does your policy say about cancellation?
  • Hi everyone,
    I've had similar issues with this company this week. Has anyone had success getting the £45 administration fee refunded? Do I need to send them a letter of complaint before contacting Financial ombudsman? I have sent several emails with no response. Can I now take my case to the financial ombudsman? Has anyone got this administration fee refunded?
    This company are unprofessional cowboys and I'll be damned if I don't get my money back!!
    Thanks
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the £45 for?
  • They say because I entered payment details and accepted terms and conditions, it is payable. However, this was for a future purchase for which I had not received the policy yet. On receipt of the email with policy documents, I decided that the policy was not what I required. I tried to cancel and they took the full payment, then refunded it back minus the £45 administration fee.
    Help!
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will probably be stuck with the £45 fee.

However, making an "Official Complaint" will cost you nothing and they must properly investigate the matter.

They may decide it's easier to refund the £45 if you make a complaint although a company with RCIB's method of business is unlikely to.

It will cost you nothing to complain and you can even do it by email.

Keep your complaint polite, concise and try and remove emotion and it's more likely to have the result you want.