We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Using Your Mobile When Abroad: Roam For Less Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how much do vodafone contract charge for gprs (if that is what smsbug uses) when roaming abroad? thanks.
  • patwa_2
    patwa_2 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Options
    Are there any Global SIMS that are good value but that give a mobile number that is on the UK mainland - i.e not 07924 or the other Isle of Man or Channel Islands numbers that do not come out of inclusive minutes?

I would ideally like to divert my mobile to the Global SIM rather than give out the new number as this would just confuse and annoy people. I'll probably be on T-Mobile by the time I come to go on holiday.

Cheers.

H.
    Know me for who I am, not for who I say I am.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    slej wrote: »
    Thanks, I've looked at smsbug site. Looks like exactly what I need

There are some others - mobisms, vgsmail, voipbuster, vyke, the last being cheapest at US 2c. Though there are ways to use SmsDiscount at € 1.2c

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=367721

digp wrote: »
    how much do vodafone contract charge for gprs (if that is what smsbug uses) when roaming abroad? thanks.

A message uses a bit under 2k, and most network rates are about 0.7p/kB. You could check with Vodafone if it's not easy to find on their site

patwa wrote: »
    Are there any Global SIMS that are good value but that give a mobile number that is on the UK mainland - i.e not 07924 or the other Isle of Man or Channel Islands numbers that do not come out of inclusive minutes?
    No, but you could look at O2 My Europe Extra, or something similar on Orange - for a monthly fee, incoming calls in Europe are free, outgoing 25p/min, though it would be worth using separate callback with cheaper rates

Or you could set up call forwarding via a VoIP account with cheap rates to UK/IoM mobiles, such as JustVoip
  • slej
    slej Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, can anyone help me out?
    I'm having a problem validating smsbug on my nokia n73 (vodafone, contract), i've successfully downloaded the application and received the sms with the passcode on it, but when I enter it and try to validate, it repeatedly comes back with an invalid user/password message.
    i've tried removing and reinstalling the application both direct onto my fone via wap and via pc on cable download but with the same result. (its always the same passcode!)
    Also i can't validate the web account on smsbug.com either.. always comes back image verification failed.
    Does anyone else have these problems? and is there a way round it?
    I've emailed their customer support but got nothing back yet..
    Thanks.:confused:
  • patwa_2
    patwa_2 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check out Justvoip - at the end of the day though it'll depend if it's worth the possible high cost of paying for the diverts to just accepting the deal and giving out the new number.

H.
    Know me for who I am, not for who I say I am.
  • nat1nut
    nat1nut Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I just wanted to give some feedback on the SIMple (Storytelecom) roaming sim (since there does not seem to be a lot). I got mine last year and have used it several times in Europe and in Morocco. I forward my orange mobile to the 07924 xxx number and it comes from my free minutes.

No problems, cust. services have been efficient and helpful when required. Top ups are easy and the coverage seems as good as Orange roaming (I had both with me, the orange as a backup for outbound calls).

All in all a happy customer, I've just got my mother one for Australia.

I hope that is useful.

(Just in case anyone is wondering, I have no relation to Storytelecom, other than being a happy customer)
  • chachiluz
    chachiluz Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I hope someone can help!!! My daughrter will be travelling in Spain and Italy for a month at present she has a 3 mobile phone.
    Is there any way to get very cheap phone calls so she can contacts and we can as well. Last month she was in Portugal and for 7 minutes she was charged 11 quid!!! and for 36 text 8 pounds :eek::eek:
    Any help greatly received!!!

Ah .... please in a very simple languages... I have tried to make head or tails of some advice and it sounds chinese to me!!

I have realised that with 3 in Italy they have a reduced pricing 25p calls and free incoming calls.

Non so happy momy!
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nat1nut wrote: »
    I just wanted to give some feedback on the SIMple (Storytelecom) roaming sim (since there does not seem to be a lot). I got mine last year and have used it several times in Europe and in Morocco. I forward my orange mobile to the 07924 xxx number and it comes from my free minutes.

Have you tried this since the June 2007 tarrif changes? Are the diverts still coming from your free minutes?
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • Disco_Des
    Options
    slej wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone help me out?
    I'm having a problem validating smsbug on my nokia n73 (vodafone, contract), i've successfully downloaded the application and received the sms with the passcode on it, but when I enter it and try to validate, it repeatedly comes back with an invalid user/password message.
    i've tried removing and reinstalling the application both direct onto my fone via wap and via pc on cable download but with the same result. (its always the same passcode!)
    Also i can't validate the web account on smsbug.com either.. always comes back image verification failed.
    Does anyone else have these problems? and is there a way round it?
    I've emailed their customer support but got nothing back yet..
    Thanks.:confused:

Hi, I had the same problem, the trouble is its very confusing as to what info they actually want. Your telephone number format is very important lets just say my moble number was 07123 456789 try 447123 456789, if that does not work try 00447123 45789, then 01723 456 789 etc... just keep going through the combinations I think its the front 44 part. Your password would have been sent to by text the 8 digit number.

Hope this helps.

:hello:
    Disco Des & his Shiny Disco Balls
    :kisses:
  • TraceyJ_2
    TraceyJ_2 Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chachiluz wrote: »
    Hi
    I hope someone can help!!! My daughrter will be travelling in Spain and Italy for a month at present she has a 3 mobile phone.
    Is there any way to get very cheap phone calls so she can contacts and we can as well. Last month she was in Portugal and for 7 minutes she was charged 11 quid!!! and for 36 text 8 pounds :eek::eek:
    Any help greatly received!!!

Ah .... please in a very simple languages... I have tried to make head or tails of some advice and it sounds chinese to me!!

I have realised that with 3 in Italy they have a reduced pricing 25p calls and free incoming calls.

Non so happy momy!

If your daughter has inclusive minutes then she can use these for free in Italy on the 3 Italia network as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure