Using Your Mobile When Abroad: Roam For Less Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• webkami
    webkami Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redux wrote:
    On an older contract I was charged for diversion to a mobile on a different network, so my apologies if that is now inaccurate. This is another area where Orange CS don't necessarily have all the info.

I understand your experience. Thats why I qouted that its Dolphin for me.
    Thanks....
  • fonesaver
    Options
    lisadonaldson, you can use your inclusive text allowance abroad on O2 contracts. For every text sent from abroad you will use up 4 of your allowance.
  • Supernova
    Options
    I'm on a corporate O2 tariff but the Business Data Sense tariff for Internet and Email access is still £7 per mb in The Canary Islands, even though Telefonica now own O2.

Anyone know a way round this cost for data specifically?
  • iggy12a
    Options
    Have just returned from Malaysia, where I received several calls and chose not to answer them, letting them go to voicemail. O2 have charged me for both receiving (in Malaysia) and sending the call (back to voicemail in the UK). So had I gone to the expense of listening to the voicemail whilst still overseas, this would effectively have been a triple charge in relation to one call.

I'm sure I've never been hit by a receive and send charge on one call before.

Has anybody else experienced this?
  • qprfact
    qprfact Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My son is getting a mobile for Christmas which is unlocked - rather than get a SIM for O2, Vodafone, etc - can I get one from the likes of SIMple and use it in UK and abroad?

(I presume the answer is yes!)
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    qprfact wrote:
    My son is getting a mobile for Christmas which is unlocked - rather than get a SIM for O2, Vodafone, etc - can I get one from the likes of SIMple and use it in UK and abroad?

(I presume the answer is yes!)
    You could, but note that it's own tariff is higher than you can get on some local SIM cards, whether here or abroad - eg T-mobile here 12 pence a minute to all UK networks, or some German and Dutch mvno rates to int'l landlines are about 8 pence a minute etc ...

There are ways to use an IoM SIM cheaper, by using other callback services, but it gets more complicated and needs the use of a second phone to set up the calls.

So get a UK one to use here
  • time_for_heroes
    Options
    My friend is in australia at the moment and she just rang me direct from her mobile to my mobile. Obviously she is going to get a large bill, but will I be charged anything for receiving the call?

I guess not because it could be argued that I don't necessarily know whether or not the caller is abroad or not?

Any help please?
  • blanik
    blanik Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    iggy12a wrote:
    Have just returned from Malaysia, where I received several calls and chose not to answer them, letting them go to voicemail. O2 have charged me for both receiving (in Malaysia) and sending the call (back to voicemail in the UK). So had I gone to the expense of listening to the voicemail whilst still overseas, this would effectively have been a triple charge in relation to one call.

I'm sure I've never been hit by a receive and send charge on one call before.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Sorry this is the standard charging method and you will end up paying for 3 international calls just to get your voicemail. If you don't need voicemail turn it off BEFORE you go abroad. This is one advantage of the IOM sims - voicemail is much cheaper.

One further twist, the phone company will continue to route calls to Malaysia until you phone is registered again in the UK. So if you leave it turned off and throw it in a drawer when you get back watch out for a large bill!!!
  • widow43
    widow43 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone please help! Maybe i'm just thick but how do you actually buy a sim card from prepaidgsm website?? I can't see any links to click on? Thanks
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    widow43 wrote:
    Can someone please help! Maybe i'm just thick but how do you actually buy a sim card from prepaidgsm website?? I can't see any links to click on? Thanks
    You don't; it's an information site. There are network links - by clicking on their logos, and the global SIMs are available online

But for single country SIMs, you'd buy them when you get there, or from some dealers in the UK (marked up a bit)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure