March 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2010 at 10:01PM in Old Style MoneySaving
998 replies 74.3K views

Replies

• 83rachel83rachel Forumite
    244 Posts
    I don't tend to shop for whoopies to be honest because we just have a small store close to us and there never seems to be any, thanks for that i will have a look online for some companies in my area, i think abel and cole only deliver in england.
  • elly2elly2 Forumite
    556 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Afternoon all, can i join in for march I don't have any idea what to set my budget to yet but will say £50 per week and hope to come in under that for at least the first 2 weeks I need to try and use some stuff up from the freezers :D so will be doing an inventory and a meal plan. So far i have spent £14.36 at mr T's this morning, this included £10 for cat food (mummy cat is nursing her 5 babies so she is getting through a lot),2 x 3 litres of milk (on offer at £1 each both of these are now in the freezer) and 4 tubs of utterly butterly (bogof), I have lots of food in so shouldnt need anything else this week.
    244 Posts
    I just ordered a veg box and it was really reasonably priced.. inpatiently waiting for thursday now
  • scotdebsscotdebs Forumite
    566 Posts
    Hello everyone this is my first grocery challenge and looking at some of the other posts I think I have been rather too generous with my budget (£450)! especially as i have a full freezer, fridge and cupboard - however I know i have been spending way over that - I would like to get down to around £300 per month (2 adults 1 toddler 1 baby and a dog) but i know it wont happen over night.......
    anyway going to spend the rest of the day doing a meal planner for the rest of the week..am getting quite excited about this hope I become as addicated to saving money as i previously was to spending it!
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • edited 1 March 2010 at 2:53PM
    83rachel83rachel Forumite
    244 Posts
    edited 1 March 2010 at 2:53PM
    scotdebs i spend arround that each month aswell (ok a bit more) i have 2 adults 3 kids (1 just a toddler one dosent eat much and is substituted with a tube) rabbit and fish. it takes time to realise how much money you wasted previously.. i am learning the hard way.
    566 Posts
    its the amount that I throw away that really annoys me - each time I come home from the supermarket I practically throw away a carrier bag of food if I can stop that then I will be half way there - also am going to ban myself from going into sparks and mencers foodhall...................can spend £40 in there and still not have anything for dinner!
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
    244 Posts
    with having the todler and the baby are you able to get a veg box and use your milk tokens? I just ordered mine and they say i can part pay with them, i dont know if this is usual or just because they have registered with the milk token people.

also the meal plan thread might help, it helped me alot i used to just go and buy food then have to go back because i had nothing to go with it.

i am sure the others will give you some ideas too.
    566 Posts
    milk tokens? what are they and how do i find out about getting them
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
    244 Posts
    i think they are given to you if you get tax credits. theres a telephone number on the letter i got. there worth £3.10 and i got 8 to use in a month. heres the number. 08456076823 there called healthy start vouchers. (or milk tokens) i never knew i was entitled to them untill i received some in the post a few weeks ago.
  • brodie1_2brodie1_2 Forumite
    131 Posts
    Going out to do the shopping in a minute - ingredients for this week's shared lunch I do with my housemate.

I was wondering - lots of people seem to buy enormous bags of potatoes that last them 6 weeks. When I buy potatoes, they have little eyes within a few days and start to go soft. I buy 7 days' worth at a time and wouldn't be keen on eating them after that. How do you store them to make them last that long?

Hi,
    ref to potaoes we buy a large sack which last us about 6 to 8 weeks. We keep them in the garage, the key is keep them somewhere cool. I dont worry about eyes , just cut them out. Potaoes will sprout if kept in the warm tho. Most veg is kept in cold stores before going on to the market or shops. So, a garage keeps them fine. My husband grew up on a arm.:)
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals