🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Great 'supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies' Hunt

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    However I couldn't find any whoopsie cabinets - I could see a few reductions round the store so wondered maybe if they don't put them all in one place , just mix them up with other items that are the same type? Can someone let me know - maybe I've just missed it but never have done in other shops. (This was Buxton by the way)

Thanks

DS

In my local it goes back on the shelf it came off of.

Sometimes they are placed at the very bottom of the chillers but always in the area that the goods are from.

I managed to get tangerines for 15p a packet of 9 fruits normal price £2.49 on friday. Also another iceberg lettuce for 35p :j

I love the whole atmosphere of the shopping in waitrose. My was converted from another store and they took on the staff and had extras. I have never seen so many staff all looking so nice and tidy in their uniforms.

And they all seem so much nicer and polite now it has changed.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • calleyw
    Options
    porter285 wrote: »
    it is a good way to save money .But i afraid it is bad quality.

Are you able to write in sentences that make any sort of sense.

What is bad quality the food?

What about people who buy stuff with a week to the date and leave it in the fridge and don't eat it until the day it goes out of date.

Does that mean it is still bad quality.

Yours

Calley

• babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    The way I read porter285's post was that he thought getting reductions were a good idea, but he was unsure of the quality he would be getting and just wanted some reassurance. We all have doubts about what we can eat, which is evident in a lot of posts on this forum.

I think saying: "Are you able to write in sentences that make any sort of sense." is a bit harsh.
    Looking forward to the future.
  • gnvqsos
    gnvqsos Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    Are you able to write in sentences that make any sort of sense.

What is bad quality the food?

What about people who buy stuff with a week to the date and leave it in the fridge and don't eat it until the day it goes out of date.

Does that mean it is still bad quality.

Yours

Calley

Black pots and kettles come to mind as two questions lack the essential question marks.We all can make grammatical errors without being admonished by miss;people will hesitate to comment if they have to undergo a GCSE examination by an unpaid examiner.Yours

Mick(Michael) Gove
  • calleyw
    Options
    gnvqsos wrote: »
    Black pots and kettles come to mind as two questions lack the essential question marks.We all can make grammatical errors without being admonished by miss;people will hesitate to comment if they have to undergo a GCSE examination by an unpaid examiner.Yours

Mick(Michael) Gove

I never said I was perfect.

But people don't reply to things when it makes no sense.

that is why the op has had no replies.

I am not that fussed about punctuation or spelling as I can't spell. But personally I will go and check the spelling so I don't look like a total dork.

But if people can't string a few sentences together so they are coherent then people are not going to waste their time trying to help them. It is not about being perfect but about making sense.

Yours

Calley

• Terrysdelight
    Options
    Hi

I was in Tescos about 9.45pm last night - store closes at 10pm.

I noticed some nice looking food which had been reduced by approx 25%, but the use by date was 25th so basically you'd need to eat is straight away or put in the freezer. I've had the odd bargain before, but I seem to recall it was much cheaper 50 or 75% off. I asked a member of staff if an item I wanted could be reduced further but they said they couldn't because they had run out of yellow stickers.

I approached the Manager and asked him if it was possible to reduce at the till. He said no, the food 'all fresh meat and fish' would be thrown away and that they weren't allowed to reduce further. He went on to say, it wasn't worth the staffs time to reduce the prices anymore and it is 'cheaper' to throw it all. By this time it was 5 mins till closing. I can't help thinking this Manager was just a lazy so and so - it seems really wasteful to do this.

Do Tescos Main Stores have a common policy?

Many thanks
    Terri
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What you should have done was wait for half an hour for everyone to go home then fetch it all out of the bin. It was cold last night so a half hour outside would be the same as the fridge and it would have all been free.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Terrysdelight
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    What you should have done was wait for half an hour for everyone to go home then fetch it all out of the bin. It was cold last night so a half hour outside would be the same as the fridge and it would have all been free.

LOL. Does seem a rediculous waste though - I hope they have some charity thing where the food could be donated rather than just wasted.
  • HannahIOW
    HannahIOW Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    Options
    I read somewhere on here that they have locks on the rubbish bins to stop people taking the food. This is because they are still liable if anyone was to get food poisoning, so they can't donate it to charity either.
    £2 Savers Club 2011 (putting towards a deposit :)) - £588
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HannahIOW wrote: »
    I read somewhere on here that they have locks on the rubbish bins to stop people taking the food. This is because they are still liable if anyone was to get food poisoning, so they can't donate it to charity either.

Not only that, some stores will spray with bleach/chemicals and dye to prevent it being taken from their bins- if you can get past the alarm system and barbed wires and not get caught on camera!

I'd maybe complain to the customer service people at the head office but this sort of thing does happen alot and is very annoying, its not like its such a big deal to reduce food to be sold- people aren't asking to steal, they're asking to buy and save the store money!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport