Great 'supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Options
    i think it would be better if they did it at the back so you dont get the limpet- people who attach and harass the SA's = would rather there be bargains out there when they are there, and not when there are none
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco seems to have gone to a 25% reduction policy

real shame as that does mean I cannot afford anything from there...it has been a bad couple of weeks of bread and carotts.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    toms2cv wrote: »
    I was told by a person at sainsburys while they were doing the reductions that if for example an item is flashed buy one get one free and they are reduced thay still have to honour the bogof promotion on items that are not sainsburys branded -

Well that is really weird as a couple of weeks ago I was in a sainsburys and they where just in the process of marking down. I picked up their own Taste the Difference product that was BOGOF and reduced. I picked up one got to the till and the operator said you have another free. I was like it's reduced and the operator got someone else to trot off and get a another reduced packet for me.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    Well that is really weird as a couple of weeks ago I was in a sainsburys and they where just in the process of marking down. I picked up their own Taste the Difference product that was BOGOF and reduced. I picked up one got to the till and the operator said you have another free. I was like it's reduced and the operator got someone else to trot off and get a another reduced packet for me.

Yours

Calley

Yes, this is true. Although the last time I'd been made aware of this was about a year ago. I picked up a reduced quiche, and the lady reducing items said if you take another it's free too.

Must admit I've not tried it since, but it sounds like it's an ongoing thing - though I would check for upon paying.
    Looking forward to the future.
  • Stryder
    Options
    Years and years ago at Sainsburys I bought - i think - about 8 mangos'. they were reduced to about 20p with BOGOF

However, it worked by removing a pound off the bill, so with 8 mangoes I got £3.20 for free! Somehow I am sure this loophole has now been closed. :(
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • arsenaljamie
    Options
    At Tescos we do a 30% first reduction, the process begins at around 10am and lasts til around 2pm, normally starting with meat to try sell it at it before the next reduction. We then do 60% around 6pm on all remaining goods, then we reduce anything we have left to 10p at around 9pm. These are normally sandwiches as most things normally go unless we happen to find something we've forgotten to reduce earlier in the day. The best day to try is on a Monday or Tuesday as we order most stock in to cover weekends so obviously most go out of code on the Monday or Tuesday. Any more advice then let me know...
    All views and posts reflect my own opinions and advice
  • drunkenmonkey
    drunkenmonkey Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2010 at 5:00PM
    Options
    Reductions in Tesco do differ from store to store with stores and departments within the store able to set the percentages and times they do their 1st and 2nd reductions.

The default reduction times are as follows:

7pm day before: Stores begin recording and actioning certain reductions for following day. Some stores will reduce these by 25-30% however if these sell prior to midnight a bug in the system causes this to affect the stores performance in their "league tables"

10am-11am day of out of code: 1st reduction for all products for that day, system is usually set to 25-30%

5pm-6pm day of out of code: 2nd reduction for all remaining products with percentages usually set to 65-75%

It's up to the store whether they want to go further but this will have an impact on their position in the league tables.

Offers such as bogof will work on reduced products in Tesco as well.
  • Stryder
    Options
    Out of curiosity - is it better for the league tables not to sell rather than sell cheap.
    Warrington Tesco's never reduces deli items more than 25 percent
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local tesco’s (its an express/petrol station) can be great for reduced items – though I think it also depends on who is doing the reducing!!

Sometimes the stuff is really cheap and its only early afternoon and other times they have only knocked of 50p and they are closing in say an hour!

I have found the best discount days to be when the majority of the staff are asian and in the reduced aisle are things that the staff that are working that day wont buy (usually meats).
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    Stryder wrote: »
    Years and years ago at Sainsburys I bought - i think - about 8 mangos'. they were reduced to about 20p with BOGOF

However, it worked by removing a pound off the bill, so with 8 mangoes I got £3.20 for free! Somehow I am sure this loophole has now been closed. :(
    I followed a guy on the checkout one Christmas Eve and he'd bought about 8 packs of Salmon and i think the offer was £5.99 each or two for £7 or something like that...As they were reduced to something like a pound each or so, he still managed to get the saving of £4.98 per two packs. When all was totted up and checked out the cashier ended up owing him about £3! He'd bought a basket of items, paid nothing for it and got paid by Sainsbury's to the tune of £3!! I've never seen anyone so chuffed to be in Sainsbury's before. The poor girl on the till looked stunned!! I'm sure with the new barcode system this has now ended but the old days of a reduced sticker on the items, still enabling special offers to be deducted, is sadly gone now :(
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family