Great 'supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Rainyday100
    Options
    I work in a Co op, and we have regulars that come in at 8.30 pm, just to get the 10p bargains, some of them have nothing better to do than hang around for an hour waiting. That would be fine if they actually spent some real money there, ever. It drives us mad that they follow us around while we're doing the stickers, they will snatch stuff out of your hand the moment a sticker is placed (rude!) and if we dare to be a minute late they moan. Not to mention that if staff dare to look at the bargain areas these people will complain that we get preferential treatment. This means that we can't even think about getting reduced items before 10 to 9, when there is nothing left anyway.
    As far as the BOGOF's go, how is it possibly fair that someone can have a basket of goods and end up being owed money? If I see one of these multibuys go through the checkout I put it through on a separate code so it doesn't happen, but only at final reduction, before that multibuys stand.
    Getting a bargain is one thing, but too many people these days just want something for nothing, I swear there are people looking for out of date stuff, just to complain the next day (person who took salad dressing back) just to see what they can get, that £5.00 voucher they got will be compensated by price hikes, the same way supermarkets cover themselves for shoplifting (and no, I'm not comparing the two, one is illegal)
    Well, after that rant, I feel I must just say, I'm not a misery, I actually quite enjoy my job, our customers in general are nice, chatty, can have a joke with, but that one aspect just tees us all off!
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Bring back the divvi ?
    I used to get a pair of socks or gloves from the milkman every 6 months.
    It is amazing that the co-op invented loyalty points and it is Tesco that has made them into a serious incentive.
  • chelms38
    chelms38 Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    Have Morrisons ever done loyalty points before?The reason I ask is that they have taken over a Somerfield branch round my corner and a few years ago Som used to give loyalty points in a deal with Argos.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have found Waitrose fantastic for reductions. My little secret, will not tell the others who shop in sainsburys for bargains across the road;)

I went over to Sainburys first rather like a bun fight. Got a couple bags of potatoes and organic carrots for 10p each.

Nipped over to Waitrose at a about 7.40pm it was empty. A sample of the bargains I got where. Seems I was only bargain hunter in there. But it has only been open couple of months. So don't think other people have twigged yet.

6 X free range eggs 15p normal selling price £2ish was cheeky got the person marking down to mark them down again as they where still 89p on that days date.
    Ginsters Slices 15p normal selling price £1.59
    Mini Haddock pies 25p normal selling price £1.89
    Huge sponge pudding 29p normal selling price £2.99
    Covent Garden Soups 35p normal selling price £2.19

Ended up spending £3.70 and had two carrier bags full :jhelped to re-fill the freezer.

So will be sloping off there a little more often to get my bargains.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • argamemnon
    argamemnon Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    I've always found Waitrose the best for reductions sometimes the items are old stock and that stuff is reduced to really silly prices

Roc face cream from £25 to under £4
    Bodyform Pads down to 19p
    Finish rinse aid down to 29p

Always worth looking in those small dump bins

But on the other hand find our localTesco dreadfull
    Seen near closing staff reducing down By 9p or even less on stuff even remarked to a member of staff that the label & printing costs more that the reduction.

Might even take a look at Waitrose today for some goodies
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    I was in sainsburys the other day and some rude women was really giving the poor lad reducing the items a hard time.She had put everything from the reduced section into her basket and was shoving it in his face for him to reduce it more.She bought everything,Why do some people have to be so rude and nasty.
    Another time in a different Sainsburys which as a section that sells prepared salad which you pack yourself and a woman came in picked up a spoon dug into one of the pots and put it into her mouth she then went onto do it several more times.Everyone around just stood there not believing what they were seeing.That's why I never buy things like that or pick and mix sweets.Sorry to go off topic .
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    argamemnon wrote: »
    Seen near closing staff reducing down By 9p or even less on stuff even remarked to a member of staff that the label & printing costs more that the reduction.

In Morrisons yesterday I saw a 4 pack of Cherry-B, didn't know you could still buy it! it was in the reduced booze section and had been reduced from £3.39 to £3.29.
  • stephonice
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    I have found Waitrose fantastic for reductions. My little secret, will not tell the others who shop in sainsburys for bargains across the road;)

I went over to Sainburys first rather like a bun fight. Got a couple bags of potatoes and organic carrots for 10p each.

Nipped over to Waitrose at a about 7.40pm it was empty. A sample of the bargains I got where. Seems I was only bargain hunter in there. But it has only been open couple of months. So don't think other people have twigged yet.

6 X free range eggs 15p normal selling price £2ish was cheeky got the person marking down to mark them down again as they where still 89p on that days date.
    Ginsters Slices 15p normal selling price £1.59
    Mini Haddock pies 25p normal selling price £1.89
    Huge sponge pudding 29p normal selling price £2.99
    Covent Garden Soups 35p normal selling price £2.19

Ended up spending £3.70 and had two carrier bags full :jhelped to re-fill the freezer.

So will be sloping off there a little more often to get my bargains.

Yours

Calley

Thanks for this, I never thought about checking Waitrose for bargains, but I will now ;)
    Totally debt free since 2010 :j
    Successfully claimed £33,000 in mis-sold PPI
  • Kayteehee
    Kayteehee Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    Noticed in my local Tesco on Saturday 24th April they were selling yogurt in the reduced section that went out of date (assume it was a used by date) 22nd April.

Is this against the law?
    Professional Photographer with a love of bargain hunting.. Been a moneysavingexpert since 2006 :-D

Roadkill Rebel -Started 6/2/16 - £0.05 Remember you're a womble #6 - £18.17 :j SPC Number 124 - Hoping to save £1500 :)
  • joeyboy
    joeyboy Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First post!

Anyway at Iceland we half price the fresh meat on the day of sell by. It's done either just before we close the night before or early in the morning. I find that Sunday is a good day to have a look, some stores have staff in from 8am on Sundays despite us not opening till 10, so by 10 everything will have stickers. Obviously staff may well have first dibs before it opens but that's generally frowned upon, so folks will only take 1 or 2 items, there's generally a few items available, I find it's most often minced beef and pork chops which are reduced at my store. Get in early folks, we have one or two who come in just to buy it all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure